Silver ZX Volcane | GI for sale / breaking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver ZX Volcane | GI for sale / breaking
WIll bring this up to speed with whats happened with the car at some point, but got round to getting and fitting some new alloys and gti6 brakes today - looking and stopping a bit better.

Been waiting for the alloys to fit bigger brakes under.

Old setup :

[Image: DSC_8702.jpg]

Just a tad bigger!

[Image: DSC_8704.jpg]

and on:
[Image: DSC_8706.jpg]
[Image: DSC_8707.jpg]

and under saxo mk2 VTS alloys

[Image: DSC_8723.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Got the gti6 master cylinder and braided hoses to go on at some point too, you know, when i can be arsed with getting at all freaking FOUR rear flexis off and bleeding the entire system :/
Thanks given by:
Looks really good
Not usually a fan of these old.barges but this one is nice :-)
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks really good would love to see one on cyclones
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Jtrigga Wrote:Looks really good would love to see one on cyclones

hmmm, i don't think cyclones would suit it

[Image: DSC_8723_with_cyclones.jpg]

pretty happy with the saxo ones tbh
Thanks given by:
Ew, cyclones certainly dont suit it lol To curvy and modern for the retro lines of a ZX!

Really like this car mate, always been a fan of ZX's :romance-inlove: And your LDA pin is nearly finished mate, might be in the post tonight, if not tomorrow! Smile
Thanks given by:
247's to 283's? I've heard about the rear hoses, not sure if I have 2 or 4 rear hoses.

Are the 3 door Volcanes any different?
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
cool as fook! looks like a minter to!
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:Ew, cyclones certainly dont suit it lol To curvy and modern for the retro lines of a ZX!

Really like this car mate, always been a fan of ZX's :romance-inlove: And your LDA pin is nearly finished mate, might be in the post tonight, if not tomorrow! Smile

You sir are a super star, thanks!

Anton Wrote:247's to 283's? I've heard about the rear hoses, not sure if I have 2 or 4 rear hoses.

Are the 3 door Volcanes any different?

yeah 247 - 282 (I think) - has made a difference, still bedding them in, but there is a hell of a difference.

Need to sort the master cylinder as the brake travel is a bit far. reminds me of having astra gte brakes on my nova years ago, i never bothered with the mc then and brake travel was super long.

Not sure why some have 2 or 4, the extra set go into the back of the rear callipers, but seeings as beams are prob the same between 3 and 5 door, can't see why. I'll go have a look at one of the other zx's and see what they're up to.
Thanks given by:
http://www.pickapart.org.uk/vehicles?mod...mage=4#img

i haz dibz on the fuel pump (if its still on)
Quote:(15:06:27) Toms306: Wd40d it and had a good tug, came straight off

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5522]

Thanks given by:
Ok so up to speed >>>

Went down to plymouth to buy it from a trader that I don't think really knew too much about it, he was raving about it running upgraded 10PSI boost and other things which sounded a bit suspect. Also told me it came with loads of spares that he was holding onto (!!!)

Said it had a hybrid turbo, modified pump ..etc

Anyway it came with a stack of receipts - most from a few years ago - amounting to practically a full new front end (bumper, bonnet ..etc), new injectors, and renewal of front suspension, bushes ..etc

So somebody had given it some love at some point, but not too recently.

Getting it home, fitting a boost gauge and giving it a quick going over revealed:

Turbo was running at 16 PSI, so pretty standard - but tamper caps were off the screws on the pump.
Popped lda housing off and pin was in standard position (and had only one score mark leading me to think it had never been rotated).

Had a look up the back of the engine and looked like a standard k14, and given how it drove prob not a hybrid of any description.
Also the lock nut was missing from the wastegate, so guessing someone had attempted to tune it by dewastegating it.
Gave the allen bolt a turn and it wasn't turned all the way in, so thankfully the spring is not knackered.

Biggest headache was the alternator / powersteering bracket that bolts to the block was loose.
Causing a severe belt wobble and squeel.
The seller was putting down to an old stretched belt, although turned out to be 2 or 3 bolts snapped in the block and bracket.
Spent some quality time drilling them out and re tapping in situ. Right angled drills ftw.

I reckon you can always smell a rat when traders sell you cars with simple problems that could be fixed in a few minutes - pointing something a bit more serious. Heavy clutches that just need adjusting, or soft brakes that need bleeding (snapped bleed nipples all round anyone?)

Tyres were ancient, worn and cracked and the car pulled (no no no seller, that is NOT torque steer you clown), so replaced them.

High beam didn't work on the morrettes, but down to cack wiring, had loads of those horrible clips that bite into wires to spur off instead of wiring in properly. So sorted that.

Ummm prob some other bits n bobs.

Has had a respray at some point, not a great job, has got loads of score /sanding marks in places that are under the paint, simply crap prep on someones part. Looks like they finished off with 200 git and though, yeah that'll do, lets paint over that.

So its a daily driver, and for the most part I've been doing just that.

Got round to fitting a FMIC (thanks silver_zx) and upping the fuelling and boost, and aside from general boring maintenance nothing more. Just giving it some love which I think its been missing out on for a while.

Oh and I've just taken it to over 190K!

and I run it on Biodiesel, keeps the smoke down if anything.

Plans are to get the T25 on, and build myself a 11mm pump. Oh and sort the body work out now that I've had my uber low speed front and rear enders.
Thanks given by:
Some bits turned up today Smile

pump seal kit and transit donor pump >

[Image: bosch_ve_seal_kit.jpg]

[Image: transit_11mm_bosch_pump_414.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Spent the day hunting boost leaks on the other zx (I may or may not be hoarding them), checked usual suspects, d-seal, hoses and that.

Couldn't find anything obvious so thought I'd take the inlet mani off to see if it was blowing on the gasket.

Got distracted after taking the inlet mani off by realising its got a T2 bolted on.

Figured it'd be rude not to take the exhaust mani and turbo off too, giving that I wanted to replace the gasket and its a one piece jobbie. Plus I could have a gander at the T2 and see if its in any good condition (which it was)

Considered swapping it onto the silver zx and replacing the k14 to see what the fuss is all about, but run out of time as gf needed a car to get to work and I need a car tomorrow morning, so can't really put them both out of action.

Then raced the sun trying to get everything back together before dark and failed miserably. Turns out I could do with much smaller hands.

Morale of the story being something like 'if it isn't broke that bad, don't bother trying to fix it unless you are sure you've got plenty of spare time and are not doing it on a friday when you should be worrying about beer anyway, and also don't forget the car you're putting out of action is needed urgently for car type duties i.e. driving"
Thanks given by:
nice, simple, retro. carnt go wrong apart from doing a kingy. haha. (tripple post) lol
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ground lda pin turned up in the post from Dan today

here it is next to the standard pin >

[Image: ground_lda_pin.jpg]

Quick test drive and it does what it says on the tin, less smoke down low and plenty of go when the boost kicks in.

Big Grin
Thanks given by:
just for the record, the T2 and K14 are pretty similar in both strength and size Wink
Liking the progress on this!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Taking the T25 apart to rotate the hot side...

[Image: t25-clocking.jpg]

Also stripped a spare K14 manifold and exhaust elbow to offer up, negated to take any photos though :/

Also donor bosch ve for stripping and rebuilding with the 11mm transit pump bits.

[Image: bosch-ve.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hello mate, Just done my braided hoses all round and only had 2 on the rear.

94 ZX Volcane
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Anton Wrote:Hello mate, Just done my braided hoses all round and only had 2 on the rear.

94 ZX Volcane

How did it go?

I'm putting it off!
Thanks given by:
Kris did if for me, pads and discs at the back. Gti6 calipers, pagid discs and ds2500's at the front.

Fooking epic. Took about 3 hours all in but was generally ok, my rear flexis were in a bad way.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Always thought one of these would look epic on Speedlines myself...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Looks good on Xsara VTS alloys
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:Always thought one of these would look epic on Speedlines myself...

which speedlines?
Thanks given by:
205 1.9 GTI ones Wink
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:205 1.9 GTI ones Wink

Got some on the the other zx Wink
Thanks given by:
Get some pics up, I've always wondered how that would look Smile
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:Get some pics up, I've always wondered how that would look Smile

looks a bit silly on standard ride height, need to get it dropped...

[Image: zx.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Anton Wrote:Kris did if for me, pads and discs at the back. Gti6 calipers, pagid discs and ds2500's at the front.

Fooking epic. Took about 3 hours all in but was generally ok, my rear flexis were in a bad way.

3 hours doesn't sound too bad at all, hate trying to get those rear flexis off under the car, nightmare job
Thanks given by:
We removed the back box and the spare wheel and cage.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Getting familiar with the transit pump

[Image: CT-2012-04-26-Public-1813.jpg]
Thanks given by: