White smoke running shit UPDATED

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White smoke running shit UPDATED
Red diesel seems to knacker the injectors on these. Not sure why, guessing there's not as much lubrication or just the conditions it's stored under. Common rail + red = problems.
If you're going to shell out for a new set then stop using it, or just keep replacing them with cheap injectors.
Thanks given by:
It's a car I bought cheap hoping I can repair it cheaply or I'll break it, had red diesel in when I bought it
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Depends on the quality of the diesel. If you are buying it off a reputable company red wont ruin injectors.

I doubt farmers would run hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of equipment on it if it was harmful
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 04:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Another thought though, is the EGR stuck open? If it's allowing exhaust in at higher rpm under load it'll lack oxygen and overfuel. I've currently got this issue on the Vec but the effect isn't as bad as yours sounds.

That is a good one to consider looking at.

BUT, I know HDi110's can be very picky over all this stuff and usually instantly throw up codes to do with EGR expected vs actual received flows... if something was way out here then I'm surprised it hasn't thrown a code.

Best way to check EGR is to just watch the valve at idle and blip the throttle a bit. If it's moving chances are it's fine.

In any case diesel out the back means rich running (EGR stuck open), or simply not burning through compression ignition in one cylinder, which might explain the very rough running.

Hard to diagnose over the internet of course... just keep checking stuff and I'm sure it'll become clear Big Grin

Dave
Thanks given by:
I'm going to nip and borrow a scanner tomorrow see if it comes up with anything

It's nigh on impossible to diagnose Over the Internet but any advice pointing me in the right direction is muchly appreciated

There is a vacuum solenoid near the battery that I believe is for the egr? There is no electrical plug goin to it.

Before I bought it the car had a engine Chang and hasn't run right since

Such cowboys pipes hanging everywhere things not plugged in

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a decent buy then Danny.... lol
Thanks given by:
52 plate 307 hdi on 120k with sp kit and challangers for £200 couldn't say no Wink

I did intend to break it but it's really clean so wouldn't mind fixing it and selling it on

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Ah that is a good price, fair play!
Thanks given by:
It could be heating oil not red diesel as used by farmers, this has much less lubrication than red or wight diesel and can cause loads of problems long term.

Either way don't get caught using it on the highway, loss of car, big fine and big tax bill is what you'll face.
Thanks given by:
i know its illegal mate i didnt put it in, thanks for the heads up

Isnt red, heating oil, gas oil all the same stuff?

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 10:22 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: i know its illegal mate i didnt put it in, thanks for the heads up

Isnt red, heating oil, gas oil all the same stuff?

You may not have put it in but it's you or the next owner if you sell it that could pay the price.
I'm not having a dig at you, just making sure anyone that reads this thread understands the implications.

Red and gas oil are the same thing but heating oil comes in grades, 28 or 32 second (or something like that), it a viscosity rating.
As it's designed to be used in a burner not a compression ignition engine it doesn't have the same lubrication properties or additives to help clean burning, this could cause pump and injector damage.
Thanks given by:
ahh rite i didnt know that i just assumed it was just different names for the same thing.

Yea if i end up fixing it and selling it on i will be draining the tank and refilling it.

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2014, 10:57 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: ahh rite i didnt know that i just assumed it was just different names for the same thing.

Yea if i end up fixing it and selling it on i will be draining the tank and refilling it.

To remove all traces you'll need to steam clean the tank, change the fuel filter and flush the whole fuel system, even then some may still be detectable.
Thanks given by:
So if it's been ran on heating oil it could have f*cked the high pressure pump and injectors?

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
If its been ran on kerosene it probably will. Its similiar to running veg on newer cars.

If its red then its gas oil (red diesel). They will run fine on this unless its been washed down with kerosene, eg diluted.
Thanks given by:
God knows going to end up breaking it at this rate

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Have you not just tried it on diesel Danny? Just out of a can... Actually thats probably a pain with a lift pump and stuff :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Get a set of known good injectors, and try them. Worst case you can sell the Injectors on if they dont sort it. Im near certain its them.
Thanks given by:
Fuking hate hdi give me a xud any day

As you say be a royal pain in the arse with the lift pump ect

Wouldn't there be signs it's injectors with the leak off test?

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
I never done a leak off test myself, but mine would spew a shit load of smoke out over 3k but ran perfect under that. I doubt a leak off would show that fault as at idle the car was perfect.
Thanks given by:
Yea fair point that going to check egr if that's fine buy a set of injectors off eBay and if that Dosent sort it well it's getting stripped lol

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Aye worst case scenario you can flog the injectors on again. Get a set of washers for them too to be on the safe side
Thanks given by:
HDI's will not run on red!, tried and tested, found out the hard way, drain the tank, change the filter refill with 5 liters of white, run till stops then refill with white diesel. All my hdis wont run on red!!
Thanks given by:
It runs though just unburnt fuel out of the exhaust

Going to get scanner on it tomorrow if there's no codes it's getting stripped

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2014, 05:32 PM)mattgreene Wrote: HDI's will not run on red!, tried and tested, found out the hard way, drain the tank, change the filter refill with 5 liters of white, run till stops then refill with white diesel. All my hdis wont run on red!!

My HDI ran 30k+ on red still pulled 133bhp on the dyno. No problems at all bar a engine loom burning out. Lucas pump on a xud tho i dry'd the pump out on the motorway struggled to run and when it eventually did die took some getting going again on white. Never ran right since then. Hdi tho perfectly fine

You can always just get 1 injector if its just the 1 that's likely to be dodgy. I would maybe try running it on a can of white with some injector cleaner in.
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Ah right, must have just been my motors then!! I always used to run on it but now I've got a bit older lol I don't bother
Thanks given by:
Its probably washed with kerosene.

I know of a few that love red Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  white smoke from starter motor apples76 12 2,400 17-07-2017, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  White smoke LewisG 8 1,919 22-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Last Post: LewisG
  Big bang and lots of white smoke tinysomniac 18 8,179 31-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Poodle