306... Faults

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306... Faults
Hello guys..

Went to view a 306 d turbo s this evening..

Lovely car, needs a few minor bits & pieces.

There is a small rust hole ( about 3 inches long ) in the boot floor, between the boot floor & the quarter panel, under a grommet. Looks easily weldable but got me worried about the fact that there could be more rust elsewhere.

Where else do the 306s rot? Should i avoid this car?

Also if anybody knows the other common places they rust & other common faults that would be helpful.

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
Doesn't sound like that rust you found would be too hard to sort out at all, 306s are generally good for rust. However, yes, there are other areas to look out for. I wouldn't say avoid that one just because of that, but if you find any more from the below, then beware...

First of all and usually most severe, is inside the rear quarter where the seatbelts mount. This is very common on the older cars without an arch liner in place... Again, it's not hugely major but it's something to bear in mind, as that is something that will need attention if present. If caught fairly early, won't be too bad, but some have been known to need a lot of rot cutting out...

Next place I'd look is at the front, underneath, by the front of the chassis rails. I've seen a few go around here, quite commonly caused by people jacking the car up incorrectly.

Then at the front, the O/S engine mount cradle has a tendency to go.

Other than that, the main common failings would be electrics... Central locking faults etc, usually caused by the door looms. Also check the rear beam for excessive camber, which can point to failing mounts/bearings. You can pick a replacement beam up fairly cheap, but a lot are going to be going the same way nowadays.

Then it's just usual car stuff to check really.

Have a look through the guides section, there's bound to be more info in there which would be of use Smile.
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2014, 01:58 AM)Curt Wrote: Doesn't sound like that rust you found would be too hard to sort out at all, 306s are generally good for rust. However, yes, there are other areas to look out for. I wouldn't say avoid that one just because of that, but if you find any more from the below, then beware...

First of all and usually most severe, is inside the rear quarter where the seatbelts mount. This is very common on the older cars without an arch liner in place... Again, it's not hugely major but it's something to bear in mind, as that is something that will need attention if present. If caught fairly early, won't be too bad, but some have been known to need a lot of rot cutting out...

Next place I'd look is at the front, underneath, by the front of the chassis rails. I've seen a few go around here, quite commonly caused by people jacking the car up incorrectly.

Then at the front, the O/S engine mount cradle has a tendency to go.

Other than that, the main common failings would be electrics... Central locking faults etc, usually caused by the door looms. Also check the rear beam for excessive camber, which can point to failing mounts/bearings. You can pick a replacement beam up fairly cheap, but a lot are going to be going the same way nowadays.

Then it's just usual car stuff to check really.

Have a look through the guides section, there's bound to be more info in there which would be of use Smile.
Thanks a million man Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Yeah, if you're seeing rust under the boot floor, they tend to have been eaten - some seem to go and others seem to be absolutely fine...

I've seen cars which have spent their whole life in the same place, one's totally rotten and the other is fresh. Just be wary Smile

Most are pretty good though!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
If ones going there I'd be worried about the rest of the car and be checking the front chassis legs near the back of the subframe as they like to go there and the under seal tends to hide it pretty well.

As said above, 306s don't really tend to go rusty so be wary.
Thanks given by:
Yeah the rear passenger side arch is the worst. Right up in the arxh is where the seat belt mounting point. Once I found mine was rusty I made great care to make sure my least favorite person sat there.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  307 faults? the milkman 5 1,241 17-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Last Post: the milkman