Broken Suspension Component, picture inside.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Suspension Component, picture inside.
So after fitting slim fans and mocking up some fmic piping my wheel decided to bury itself in the arch afterward as I was leaving my work shop.

Not had a chance to get the wheel off again yet, I'm going up there in 30 minutes to jack it up get the wheel off and investigate. I'll add pictures in once I'm at the car and have it in the air.

Are Track rod or wishbone the suspects?

Here's how shes sitting:

[Image: a2ypa6an.jpg]

[Image: yse6ama8.jpg]
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Something wishbone related would have had to let go to see that much movement. My guess is either the front mount or the ball joint. TRE's would not see lateral movement in the wheel, in relation to the arch, just a flappy wheel across its steering axis.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Jack it up and have a look - there's really not much that can cause that level of movement on a 205.

You running base model type TCA's or GTi type wishbones?

As said, it won't be the TRE's. It'll likely be a snapped wishbone, hub broken at lower pinch bolt, or perhaps the subframe having broken away where the wishbone attaches. Something pretty fundemental and which should be obvious at a glance, potentially related to the earlier crash given that it's on the same side.

Just be glad that it happened at slow speed!
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Cheers fellas.

Fairly certain it's rubbing the non gti setup.

I'll have some more pictures up soon. It happened at less then 5mph and didn't sound that great!

There had been strange noises coming from that corner the past few days so lucky it made it as far as it did I suppose!

Wish bones and track rods are cheap right?

I'll reply when I have some pictures.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Ok so I've had both wheels off and had a look and can't see anything noticeably wrong but it was muddy and pissing with rain which didn't help.

On the passenger side the drive shaft has some in and out play which the drivers side doesn't have. Other then that I can't see anything obvious wrong! Sad

I've took loads of pictures so feel free to have a butcher and give any thoughts! Excuse the lack of camera quality.

Passenger (broken) side:

[Image: 1_zps5bd17a51.jpg]

[Image: 2_zps8d1fa664.jpg]

[Image: 3_zpsa3c40d2c.jpg]

[Image: 4_zpsf7f5032b.jpg]

[Image: 5_zps48606269.jpg]

[Image: 6_zps5a0a9f55.jpg]

Driver side:

[Image: 7_zps1e28de5e.jpg]

[Image: 8_zps8c742772.jpg]

[Image: 9_zpsda17fa59.jpg]

[Image: 10_zps9fb8cc89.jpg]

[Image: 11_zpsb400b677.jpg]

And from the front:

[Image: 12_zps34e07bac.jpg]

PS: I know my brake lines are twisted.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
What's going on with the bush halfway down the wishbone on picture 4?

It also looks f*cked in 5

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2014, 01:02 PM)Grant Wrote: What's going on with the bush halfway down the wishbone on picture 4?

It also looks f*cked in 5

This one?

[Image: 5_zps5d2461f0.png]
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Might just be the pictures, but swear the chassis to subframe is bent on the broken side
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's the one

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2014, 01:10 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Might just be the pictures, but swear the chassis to subframe is bent on the broken side

Uhhhhhhh, pretty sure it's not but it could well be..

(16-01-2014, 01:15 PM)Grant Wrote: Yeah that's the one

I swear the other one on the drivers side is just as bad?

Surely it wouldn't cause THAT much movement even if it was f**k*d?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Can you get a better picture of the rear mount? I'm not too familiar with the 205 setup, but it definitely won't be the TRE's

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
That's the base model TCA setup

If you jack it up and give the passenger wheel a good yank, is there movement forward and backwards, and if so, what's moving?

Nothing looks obviously snapped from the pictures and certainly the TCA appears attached to the subframe and hub alright, although the TCA bush for the ARB (which forms the rear support) looks distinctly 2nd hand. Is the ARB attached to the rear of the subframe as it's meant to be, as if that's not attached there would be nothing stopping the TCA (and thus wheel) moving backwards.

Very clear from the photos that it's way out of line though, I just can't see why!

(16-01-2014, 01:10 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Might just be the pictures, but swear the chassis to subframe is bent on the broken side

Certainly does in some of the pictures (eg #5) although at a glance it still looks in line enough that it shouldn't have moved the wheel back by the degree it has. The other attaching points for the subframe should prevent any notable movement even if that mount is snapped, assuming of course that they're not loose!
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2014, 01:19 PM)Grant Wrote: Can you get a better picture of the rear mount? I'm not too familiar with the 205 setup, but it definitely won't be the TRE's

Sure thing.

(16-01-2014, 01:31 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: That's the base model TCA setup

If you jack it up and give the passenger wheel a good yank, is there movement forward and backwards, and if so, what's moving?

Nothing looks obviously snapped from the pictures and certainly the TCA appears attached to the subframe and hub alright, although the TCA bush for the ARB (which forms the rear support) looks distinctly 2nd hand. Is the ARB attached to the rear of the subframe as it's meant to be, as if that's not attached there would be nothing stopping the TCA (and thus wheel) moving backwards.

Very clear from the photos that it's way out of line though, I just can't see why!

Uhh there is some movement but not much to be honest which is whats confusing the hell out of me. It doesn't help being on my own as I can't yank stuff and get someone to stick their head under to see whats happening!

As for the ARB being attached I'm sure it is but I didn't lie under the car and check as it was so bloody muddy.

But yeah as you say, can't see anything obviously broken..! Sad

Should the drive shaft have some in and out play on this side? As it doesn't on the other.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Old 'shafts can have some play in the CV's but it won't cause the wheel to move.

The driveshaft is clearly out of line in the photo which might exacebate any play/slop.
Thanks given by:
(16-01-2014, 01:38 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: Old 'shafts can have some play in the CV's but it won't cause the wheel to move.

The driveshaft is clearly out of line in the photo which might exacebate any play/slop.

Mmm, it certainly doesn't look right!

I don't understand how it could be in such a different position without anything noticeably wrong! I'll get some better quality pictures tomorrow and climb under the car if it's not too muddy.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
It'll be that bush or the arb at the the rear, the arb is what locates the wishbone fore-and-aft on these, and that bush does look pretty fooked.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
What off the top mount and strut itself...is it bent?!

And it looks like subframe isnt mounted right either
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I found a broken mount thing that looks like it holds the ARB in place. Multiple cracks and was wedged in the subframe, luckily it hadn't fell out or I wouldn't of even noticed!

The culprit:

[Image: 1_zps4b2c50f5.jpg]

[Image: 2_zpsb9d8ea2e.jpg]

[Image: 3_zpsa9684772.jpg]

Found a single random bolt the other must be long gone.

[Image: 4_zpsa5a21d29.jpg]

You can see the mount hanging on the ARB at the topof the picture, there is a slight kink in the ARB in the center, is this standard issue or has mine been bent?

[Image: 5_zpsb44c447d.jpg]

Lastly does anyone know what part this is called and what number it is / where I can buy one?

Hopefully thats the cause of the wheel being so far out?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
that looks propa f*cked
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
Is this what I want?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151111674937
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121007786026

Does the same thing?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Yeah that's the ARB clamp...but pretty sure it should have a bush inside!

Edit - Yours looks thicker/stronger than the ebay ones, do you have a bigger ARB from a GTi or something?
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2014, 04:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yeah that's the ARB clamp...but pretty sure it should have a bush inside!

Yeah it should and probably does but I wasn't sure what I was looking at at the time. I'll check tomorrow, doubt it would of sheered off though and there is loads of them on eBay for sale. How do you get the bushes on? They split open right? Never really done any suspension bits before except fit coil overs to my Datsun.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I believe they split open to fit, been a while since I removed any though lol.
Thanks given by:
I have a pair of those spare if you need, the gti used the same part.

your ARB does the fore/aft location as well as the anti-roll part, which is why it is larger diameter than a gti and bolts through the track control arm

gti's have wishbones and droplinks.

your bush is still there on the arb.
Thanks given by:
Also found this in garage which has the ARB bracket I need on by the looks of it!

It's a GTi subframe I believe?

Would there be a noticeable difference between the two? It looks like its lacking a track rod and wishbones?

[Image: IMG_3669_zpse0e62c67.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3670_zps62d20e4b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3671_zps0613fbd4.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3672_zps3d9bb125.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3673_zpsef8036e5.jpg]
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
yup that's a gti subframe

different arb, extra bracket for the rear wishbone pivot, track rods are there attached to the steering rack.

missing one droplink and both wishbones.
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2014, 05:13 PM)welshpug Wrote: yup that's a gti subframe

different arb, extra bracket for the rear wishbone pivot, track rods are there attached to the steering rack.

missing one droplink and both wishbones.

Hah, oppsie! Yeah a droplink.

So do I repair the one on there or buy the extra bits for this one?

I imagine it'll cost a lot more to get this GTi one on.

These aren't the right wishbones for a GTI one are they? www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221289244951 I thought they looked different? Like this: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360516285325 ?

And drop links: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140741263652
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
first link is wrong description, second one correct.

you haven't got wishbones on there now, you have Track Control Arms.

gti uses wishbones.
Thanks given by:
Mmm, think I'll keep the subframe thats on there already then.

Can't see the point in spending excessive money on GTi wishbones.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'll let you know about the ARB clamps.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  206 suspension users? Rock hard suspension HDIkyle 10 4,036 10-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Last Post: puglove