hybrid turbo gt20

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hybrid turbo gt20
So just stripping my gt20 down and was thinking couldn't you fit a gt2252 turbine to it if you had the cold side merchined to take it?

Would this make an epic spooling turbo but flow loads of air?

I might be talking rubbish as I don't no much about this stuff but if it is possible and the costs arnt massive it could be pretty epic,

So what you guys think?

Thanks given by:
short answer no (unfortunately)
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2014, 05:25 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: short answer no (unfortunately)

Oh worth a ask, anything I can do to it to upgrade it why I rebuild it?

Thanks given by:
Are you actually rebuilding the core or just clocking the hot / cold sides?

Again, not much worth doing tbh without incurring cost. You could up the comp wheel to a 56 perhaps but you'd need the housing to match, and potentially rebalancing the core, unless you're certain the wheel has been balanced as a component
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2014, 05:58 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Are you actually rebuilding the core or just clocking the hot / cold sides?

Again, not much worth doing tbh without incurring cost. You could up the comp wheel to a 56 perhaps but you'd need the housing to match, and potentially rebalancing the core, unless you're certain the wheel has been balanced as a component

We'll I've took it to bits to clock it and it has oil in the cold side not much but a dusting so thinking of just rebuilding the core new oil seals etc so I no it's ok. Think I will leave upgradeing then. Just re-build the core so I no it's all ok.

Thanks given by:
If there isn't any worrying play I'd leave it be

If it ain't broke ...etc
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2014, 06:06 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: If there isn't any worrying play I'd leave it be

If it ain't broke ...etc

There is but only a small amount? Still worth doing

Thanks given by:
Little point in swapping to a GT22 hotside with a 52mm coldside... You'd be better off swapping the 52mm compressor for a 56mm compressor... Making a GT2056...

More hassle than it's worth though, you'd have to strip it down, replace all the bearings, get it VSR'd, find a compressor housing that actually fits...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2014, 09:43 PM)Ruan Wrote: Little point in swapping to a GT22 hotside with a 52mm coldside... You'd be better off swapping the 52mm compressor for a 56mm compressor... Making a GT2056...

More hassle than it's worth though, you'd have to strip it down, replace all the bearings, get it VSR'd, find a compressor housing that actually fits...

Yer think It best to leave it as it is.

Next question when when rebuilding it (new oil seals bearing etc) do I need to get it balanced or can I just mark the shaft and compressor wheel but it back on in the same place?

Thanks given by:
(15-01-2014, 07:02 AM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(14-01-2014, 09:43 PM)Ruan Wrote: Little point in swapping to a GT22 hotside with a 52mm coldside... You'd be better off swapping the 52mm compressor for a 56mm compressor... Making a GT2056...

Yer think It best to leave it as it is.

Next question when when rebuilding it (new oil seals bearing etc) do I need to get it balanced or can I just mark the shaft and compressor wheel but it back on in the same place?

Any one?

Thanks given by:
What more info do you need over what myself and Ruan have said?

You either go balls in, put a cheap ebay copy rebuild kit on and not balance it, and hope for the best - tbh I'd only do this if you think the turbo is shagged anyway and you've got nothing to loose.

Or you get a genuine garrett rebuild kit and have it VSR'd, but for the money you may as well get a refurb core on an exchange basis from a reputable company. Because the chances are if you've got play, or oil passing or whatever, you may have damage to the shaft too.

Unless its passing a crap load of oil or has serious play I'd just leave it alone. I don't see the point rebuilding it with none oem parts just for the fun of it.

If you mark the compressor wheel relative to the shaft / turbine and get it 99% back in the same place you shouldn't be too far out. You have to think that any turbos with damaged blades will be effectively out of balance too. It will just shorten the life of the turbo to some degree depending on how far out it is. These things spin up to insane rpm.

Theres a chance too that the turbine and comp wheels are balanced individually - I'm 90% sure they are on my gt2260v for example, so its not as big a deal swapping bits around
Thanks given by:
Oh right I will just leave it then, worst comes to worst I have to buy a new core for it, thanks for info Smile

Thanks given by:
The way I see it, if you're going to kill the turbo you're going to kill it catastrophically, I'd be tempted to have another identical one as quick bolt on spare if / when the situation arrises.
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2014, 08:14 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Theres a chance too that the turbine and comp wheels are balanced individually - I'm 90% sure they are on my gt2260v for example, so its not as big a deal swapping bits around

They're statically balanced, but when it's spinning at over 200,000rpm, dynamic balancing IS important, you have to balance the assembly as a whole...

You can't balance an assembly as a whole with only one part... Especially with the tolerances required at over 200,000rpm...

Hence yes, replacing wheels is all nice, but unless you VSR it, it's likely to end up with your engine eating a compressor... Especially since GTs run seriously small shafts to reduce inertia...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(15-01-2014, 08:49 PM)Ruan Wrote:
(15-01-2014, 08:14 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Theres a chance too that the turbine and comp wheels are balanced individually - I'm 90% sure they are on my gt2260v for example, so its not as big a deal swapping bits around

They're statically balanced, but when it's spinning at over 200,000rpm, dynamic balancing IS important, you have to balance the assembly as a whole...

You can't balance an assembly as a whole with only one part... Especially with the tolerances required at over 200,000rpm...

Hence yes, replacing wheels is all nice, but unless you VSR it, it's likely to end up with your engine eating a compressor... Especially since GTs run seriously small shafts to reduce inertia...

I think that pretty much sums it up, its a ball deep situation unless you're VSR ing the complete assembly!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gt20 exhaust system Chris_90 13 2,979 15-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Mike
  Gt20 sherman306 32 7,579 14-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Chris_90
  TD04 to GT20 oil feed anto 11 3,408 07-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Last Post: anto