Project Boring (Moonstone HDI)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Boring (Moonstone HDI)
For the moment I'm not planning anything more interesting than simply restoring the car to some of its former glory, hence why this will be boring and hardly qualify as a project.

Stuff to do:
Rear wiper motor.
Rear windscreen heater.
Fix up Alloy.
Replace front fog light bulb.
Replace rear fog light bulb.
Get remote central locking working again.
Get rid of fluid warning level light on dash.
Stop the 'Stop' light flashing all the frickin time.
Stop the headlights randomly dimming.
Reattach the right side of the anti roll bar.
Get new rear dampers.
Find the source of a ticking noise when i turn my lights on or indicate (probably a relay.)
Find the source of a loud humming/whirring when the ignitions on (engine not on.)

This will take a long time as i have no spare time. And be very boring.

In the future i'd like to lower it a little, put a stage 1 remap on it and a nice decatted exhaust. But i'm poor etc. etc.

Rang the local peugeot garage, who said it would cost something like £150 for a new key fob, getting the transponder code and syncing it with the car. Looks like i'm stuck with just the key.

Removed the rear wiper motor, all seized up, going to have to get a new one, but no point till i fix the rear heater, the backs always too fogged up to see out of anyway!

Got an alloy refurb kit, hopefully make it look a bit better, waiting for a dry day.
[Image: 3KxMorE.jpg]

Tried to take the right fog light off, gave up after about 5 seconds when i couldn't see how.
[Image: ZiAoC8Z.jpg]

Need to buy some silver electro conductive paint glue stuff to reattach this, then i can see what i'm reversing into.
[Image: HdgBnlP.jpg]

Removed the wiper motor and wiper cus the motor didn't work. Plugged the hole with a piece of plastic wrapped in electrical tape Smile
[Image: H9C4h4H.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Never boring just seing a pug bought back to her former glory mate so keep us updated.

If the stop light is flashing it could be something to do with the fluid level so try getting that sorted (I take it it definitely has enough fluid?)

To get at the fogs you need to take the bumper off which is 2 10mm nuts through the slam panel either side then 3 underneath the front that are probably all broken off and slide it forwards. The fogs are then 3 8mm bolts/screws each.

The whirring could be the heater blower.

Oh and definately get a remap. 120-130bhp for under £100 and it'll make you really fall in love with the car.
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2014, 05:44 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Never boring just seing a pug bought back to her former glory mate so keep us updated.

If the stop light is flashing it could be something to do with the fluid level so try getting that sorted (I take it it definitely has enough fluid?)

To get at the fogs you need to take the bumper off which is 2 10mm nuts through the slam panel either side then 3 underneath the front that are probably all broken off and slide it forwards. The fogs are then 3 8mm bolts/screws each.

The whirring could be the heater blower.

Oh and definately get a remap. 120-130bhp for under £100 and it'll make you really fall in love with the car.

Fluid levels fine, tbh the wire out the back of the fluid reservoir was unplugged and the warning light only came on when i plugged it back in, so i could just unplug it again.
Thanks for the fog light info, i'll give it another go.
Under £100 for a remap? that sounds a lot more tempting.
Thanks given by:
you dont need to remove the front bumper to get at fogs just the wheels and arch liners and jack it up..
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
The front arch liners split into two parts to get to the fog lights.
Thanks given by:
mine dont maybe its a p3 thing
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
Yeah its easier to remove the bumper tbh. Nice to see a moonstone being bought back to former glory.
Tbh I've just fell in love with my all over again specially now things are getting fixed/lowered. :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2014, 05:48 PM)Wintoddi Wrote: Under £100 for a remap? that sounds a lot more tempting.

Yeah, If you buy a remap off either HDi-tuning.co.uk (or similar) or gowhippy.co.uk (or something similar) the maps aren't too expensive and they come well recommended on here then you can easily upload it yourself with a KWP2000+ tool from ebay (about £20) and a lap top

Or find someone here to upload it for you for a few beer tokens, there will probably be someone local to you
Thanks given by:
Yes remaps are highly recommended. I have a Mr whippy stage 1 paired with full straight through exhaust. It pulled 127bhp 208lbsft torque.
It defferntly makes the car more fun.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
Took the spare wheel out today, its bald and useless. Used parcel tape to try and stop the frame bouncing free while i'm driving.

[Image: 8P20nFd.jpg]

Is this normal compression for the rear shock? always thought the back of my car looked lower than the front.

[Image: V4CrXAO.jpg?1]

And i'm now noticing some camber on the rear wheels, not very clear in the pictures though.

[Image: VKo7khH.jpg?1]
[Image: NgAJUcJ.jpg?1]

Checked the battery terminals incase their looseness was causing my dipping lights, the positive was loose but seemed alright with the cover down so i left it be.

[Image: Eiovacq.jpg?1]

This is the sensor that was plugged into my coolant reservoir and i think is causing my coolant level light on the dash to light up, can anyone confirm?

[Image: bUkbcOa.jpg?1]

Around this time my last engine cover clip dived deep into the engine bay never to be seen again, so no more engine cover.

Also noticed the dipstick was hanging out, the rubber at the top seems to have dissapeared, found it like this..
[Image: vfU8Nyk.jpg?1]
Guess i'll fork out for a new one -.-

I also have a nice couple of ponds in my boot, thinking about getting some ducks Dodgy
Can't see how the waters getting in!
[Image: ZMzzKvT.jpg]
[Image: rbQbVhc.jpg]

And after driving through a couple of huge floods yesterday, my other fog light has died. On the upside my wheel arches and shocks never looked so clean.
Thanks given by:
If I was you I'd take the spare wheel carrier off.
The battery terminal tightens up when you put the top down as is quick release.
Can see the camber on the second picture better. I have a gig rear beam for sale.

Also with the water in your boot could be either the rubber around your boot letting water in. Or possibly your rear lights may need sealing better.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2014, 09:33 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: If I was you I'd take the spare wheel carrier off.
Can see the camber on the second picture better. I have a gig rear beam for sale.

Also with the water in your boot could be either the rubber around your boot letting water in. Or possibly your rear lights may need sealing better.

Does the spare wheel carrier come out without any cutting? Can you bend it out?
Is it the entire beam that goes? i was under the impression there were bushes on each side that wore out to cause the camber, dunno where i got that from tho.
I'll give the boot a better inspection tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2014, 12:26 AM)Wintoddi Wrote:
(09-01-2014, 09:33 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: If I was you I'd take the spare wheel carrier off.

Does the spare wheel carrier come out without any cutting? Can you bend it out?
Is it the entire beam that goes? i was under the impression there were bushes on each side that wore out to cause the camber, dunno where i got that from tho.
I'll give the boot a better inspection tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Iirc the carrier just hocks in onto the body work at the back. Then you just have the bolt to come out of the boot and I'd replace it with a grommet.

I'm not 100% but I think it is the bushes that go on the beam never happened to me though.

Best bet is get inside the boot while someone sprays hosepipe on it so you can see where waters coming in.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
The carrier hooks on one side, but has a bolt in the otherside that needs removing first - 13mm iirc....will be rusted solid though lol.

And as for the beam, the trailing arm bearings fail, and eventually cut into the tubes, so it's easier to change the whole beam when it's cambered badly....as it's probably done more damage than just the bearings by then.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boring Black Rallye wainwrightj 57 19,855 06-02-2018, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,638 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese
  Project OEM Phase 3 GTi6 - Moonstone aircool 2 1,993 14-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Last Post: aircool