Driving in central London

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving in central London
I'm going to London to visit a mate of mine and Gennas who lives in Bow. Was gonna get the train but considering train fares for the 2 of us would be about £130 I'm sacking off that idea. Apparently she lives near the entrance to the Blackwall Tunnel, but I f*cking despise driving in London, and I'm not sure if she has parking. So, how difficult is it from the M1? Sat nav says 3 hours 19 mins from my door to hers which I don't believe for a second. Would I have to pay that charge thing? And is parking likely to be available? Tell me what you know southern fairies!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
lol just a heads up about satnavs in the centre of london

recalculating........
recalculating........
recalculating........
recalculating........
recalculating........
recalculating........

lmao i got lost trying to find graffiti tunnel after the rest of the meet sped off
needlest to say following the satnav it dont pick up within the tower blocks
but we did see more sights than the rest of the meet Wink
Thanks given by:
That graffiti tunnel is gated off now apparently
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 01:38 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: That graffiti tunnel is gated off now apparently

but apparently you can still get in as the fencing doesnt go all the way round.

yeh sat navs dont work in london... and have no idea about the congestion charge so always try to take you through it instead of round the north circular. Its fairly busy in London but its even worse in the congestion charging areas. Avoid them and you should be okay.
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 01:08 PM)cully Wrote: lol just a heads up about satnavs in the centre of london

recalculating........
recalculating........
recalculating........
recalculating........
recalculating........
recalculating........

Hahaha o dear this brings back terrible memories of trying to find a car park in Canary Wharf a few years ago after driving up from Plymouth. We were only about 5 miles away but it took about an hour to find the place because of all the re-calculating and one way streets, also the satnav can't keep up with where you are quick enough so by the time it tells you to turn you have already passed it.

I swore I would not drive in central again after that.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
I would suggest going up in the evening like 9-10pm traffic will be a lot less making it easier to navigate and drive around.
Driving in London is an interesting experience, but I would ask you mate about parking though.

Drive to the outskirts park in a car park and get the underground in.

That's what most people do.
Thanks given by:
What time will you be going? The area around the Blackwall tunnel can be quite busy because it's one of the few ways across the river without entering into the more central areas.

As long as you stay on that side of London you should avoid the congestion charge.

Parking will be dependant on street and time. I'm off in that direction in a minute and I'll be able to park because it's the weekend, weekdays at daytime you're likely to see permits in effect.
Thanks given by:
I'll probably be driving down Saturday morning hoping to get there around 11...
Thanks given by:
Blackwell tunnel should be outside the c zone dont know if you pay on Saturday anyway. Personally if you dont know about parking id drive to an outer London tube and park there as most have free parking. Or drive down to mine and I'll drop you at a tube as the mainline from mine is ridiculously overpriced even though it isn't far.
Thanks given by:
Here is the congestion charge zone:

[Image: 800px-London_congestion_charge_zone.png]

No charge at weekends.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Last time I went I set off got there in 3 half hours or 3. Ended up going over the tems. On the way back went under the tems that was epic Smile. Toll booths was free too
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
No congestion charge at weekends at all. If your coming down the M1, the sat nav will chuck you onto the north circular which going that way, really won't be that much of a nasty journey at all. The sat nav time will be almost right id say.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 02:47 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Blackwell tunnel should be outside the c zone dont know if you pay on Saturday anyway. Personally if you dont know about parking id drive to an outer London tube and park there as most have free parking. Or drive down to mine and I'll drop you at a tube as the mainline from mine is ridiculously overpriced even though it isn't far.

Might well take you up on that Chris, what tube stations would you recommend with free parking if you happen to be working or busy?
Thanks given by:
Next Saturday and Sunday I'm off. I only really know North West London and there's loads really far out but I'd go Northwick Park (metropolitan line), Kenton (bakerloo line), Queensbury (jubilee line) or Colindale (northen line) as they are all 'minor' stations that I know have free parking within half a mile to a mile at worst and are the first station on their respective lines to be within zone 4 which means cheaper fares/travelcards.

I also have an oyster card that is registered to me but no real use to me and I have a feeling it has some credit on that I'll lend/give you if you want.

Realistically decide which line you want and Ill google maps you some parking as I'm not pointing it out for all of them. Oh and if you want me to drop you into London I'll need you to let me drive your car or put some fuel in mine Smile

My nearest station is Stoke Mandeville trains from which meet the tube at the top of the Metropolitan Line at Amersham and run with it through to Harrow-on-the-hill before heading onwards to Marlybone if you were considering leaving your car at mine.
Thanks given by:
Not had a problem driving in London been loads. Just be roofless don't let anyone out ect cos you'll never get it in return.
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 09:41 PM)306carter Wrote: Not had a problem driving in London been loads. Just be roofless don't let anyone out ect cos you'll never get it in return.

Not sure how driving a convertible will help? Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 09:49 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 09:41 PM)306carter Wrote: Not had a problem driving in London been loads. Just be roofless don't let anyone out ect cos you'll never get it in return.

Not sure how driving a convertible will help? Big Grin

lol
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 08:22 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Next Saturday and Sunday I'm off. I only really know North West London and there's loads really far out but I'd go Northwick Park (metropolitan line), Kenton (bakerloo line), Queensbury (jubilee line) or Colindale (northen line) as they are all 'minor' stations that I know have free parking within half a mile to a mile at worst and are the first station on their respective lines to be within zone 4 which means cheaper fares/travelcards.

I also have an oyster card that is registered to me but no real use to me and I have a feeling it has some credit on that I'll lend/give you if you want.

Realistically decide which line you want and Ill google maps you some parking as I'm not pointing it out for all of them. Oh and if you want me to drop you into London I'll need you to let me drive your car or put some fuel in mine Smile

My nearest station is Stoke Mandeville trains from which meet the tube at the top of the Metropolitan Line at Amersham and run with it through to Harrow-on-the-hill before heading onwards to Marlybone if you were considering leaving your car at mine.

Thanks mate. Early intel says she has a parking place so just the actual drive I'll have to cope with. I just hate London traffic. Bear in mind I live in a fairly big city and in rush hour I can get from my house on the outskirts to my work in the city centre 5 miles away in 10 minutes.
Thanks given by:
You'll be fine dude, its gonna be 97% M1, A406 both are big 3/4 lane roads

Ive done my house (30 miles outside london) to the elephant and castle (south of the river) in [actually not going to publicly incriminate myself]

And my commute to work has a substantially higher average speed than yours even at busy times.
Thanks given by:
Nice one. Just don't want to have any connor-style road rage incidents. Londoners often drive me to that, like when I was trying to work the barrier on the tube and the twat behind me loudly said "They should have separate queues for dickhead tourists!". He didn't have a nice day.
Thanks given by:
TBF they should have separate queues for tourists.
And like separate walking lanes for people who actually want to get somewhere.
Thanks given by:
I guarantee in Leeds the person behind would have showed me how to use it Wink

"Gi' it 'ere cocker, you 'old it 'ere an' let t'card reader 'av a skeg atit an' t' barrier oppens"

Oh and my mate does have parking. Might drive down Friday night and avoid traffic. Cheers for the offer though Chris, your a gent Smile
Thanks given by:
No worries mate, might find something productive to do with my weekend like working out why the turbo sounds like its dying
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2014, 11:11 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: No worries mate, might find something productive to do with my weekend like working out why the turbo sounds like its dying

Might have to fix it by ripping the engine out and fitting that 2.2 Wink
Thanks given by: