Overheating?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overheating?
Ok so my daily traffic basher is overheating erratically it will get up to normal running temperature and then go up past 90 etc and then go right down to 70 at random, I'm thinking thermostat or coolant temp sender? It also blows hot and cold on the heater depending on the coolant temp.....

Really need a cheap fix as I do 1k miles a month in it for work, I can't see it being the head gasket as I done that not long back, anyone experienced this?

Cheers chris
[Image: image_zps738f3eaa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
This a 1.4??

What the oil cap like?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yup 1.4 fart box dude head gasket was done a while back, oil cap is fine dude
Thanks given by:
well... if its genuinely not overheating then the theromostat must be wrong. If youre worried about it overheating put the fans on max heat and and max blow. Keeps it below 90. If youve got a heater matrix leak, blown headgasket or loosing water then it wont help though.
Thanks given by:
I was doing that this morning I was cold then hot etc, pain in the ass :/ I think I'm going to swap out the stat and go from there although il test it in a pan first I think but for the sake of a tenner I swap it anyway...... If it was head gasket it would overheat and stay that way surely and not fluctuate? Car is on 92k and hasn't skipped beat except the usual stuff.... I really like the look of that cherry red hdi in the for sale section but at 1400 no chance! as said by padge jamma sold his epic one for less!

Regards Chris
Thanks given by:
"1400 no chance"

+1 to that, and iv been known to spend stupid money on crap
Thanks given by:
unplug temp sensor and check to see if fans work.
if they do then replace temp sensor!
if they don't then check voltage to fans the sensor unpluged.
Thanks given by:
Il give it a whirl tomorrow weather dependent, I hope it's just the stat tho, yup I'd give him a grand tomorrow if he would take it :/
Thanks given by:
Also have you bleed the system?
Thanks given by:
System was all done when the head gasket was done pal, I'm gunna flush it all out tomorrow inspect relevant parts and eliminate from there Smile
Thanks given by:
Well didn't get anything done today as the wind and rain was howling all day! Always tomorrow
Thanks given by:
Mine did this after I fitted a new matrix. A re-bleed on a fast idle sorted it.
Thanks given by:
Il keep that in mind bud thanks for the input, hope the matrix ain't gone that would be a Cnut ! But as said before I think it's the stat, I won't be able to get one tommorow so I think il just take it out until I can get one,I ain't driving the scoobs daily or I'd be on bread and water for the rest of the month lol
Thanks given by:
As above I would try the thermostat first nice and cheap worth a try
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
(04-01-2014, 11:39 PM)k3ogh Wrote: Il keep that in mind bud thanks for the input, hope the matrix ain't gone that would be a Cnut ! But as said before I think it's the stat, I won't be able to get one tommorow so I think il just take it out until I can get one,I ain't driving the scoobs daily or I'd be on bread and water for the rest of the month lol

It wasn't because the matrix had gone, more to do with it not being bled properly after fitting a new one. From what I remember, I did a bleed through with the bottle stuffed into the rad without the engine running. Then got it up to temperature (stat open), then bled through again at a fast idle (with bottle still in).
Thanks given by:
Thermostat is a good call. When I had overheating issues I just kept bleeding the system of air and it solved it for me
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine Overheating..HELP!! Welshdrg 15 3,424 23-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Last Post: Welshdrg