d turbo clutch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
d turbo clutch
Anyone know how big of a job it is to do a clutch on a d turbo?
Thanks given by:
3hrs with decent kit and a helping hand...4/5hrs if on own and not done it before
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Is there a tutorial on here? Never done a clutch before but am pretty good with the spanners.r
Thanks given by:
If Chris can do one anyone can Wink (i am so sorry)

But in all seriousness expect it to take a weekend if you haven't done one before then if you catch on quick it shouldnt take that long. If you can having someone who has change a clutch before would be of great advantage. If you can find someone whos done an XUD clutch before, even better.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Yeah if your on your own, the biggest problem for you will be lying on your back trying to get the box back on. Its a complete bastard of a job to do. Much easier if someone can lift it from above then you can lie underneath and guide it in place. They will not go in if they don't go on dead straight!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
raise front of vehicle and support
drain gearbox
remove from wheels
remove driveshafts - note two 11mm nuts holding two retain bolts on engine lower mount which hold one shaft in
remove all the crap around the gearbox, wiring, clutch cable, starter etc
undo the clutch release arm bolt and remove clutch release arm
support engine
undo gearbox mount and remove mount supports
support gearbox - handy friend witha jack
undo all gearbox bolts between bell housing and engine block
remove gearbox
remove clutch
clean flywheel surface
fit new clutch - use alignment tool to centralise
refit gearbox ensuring clutch arm slots onto clutch release bearing

now put it all back together, fill up with fresh oil and have a cuppa T

(worthwhile attaching the clutch arm and cable early on to check it all has aligned ok)
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Also worth noting you don't have to undo the hub nuts if you can't / don't want, can just split bottom ball joints and pull them out the way
Thanks given by:
Sorry to hijack your thread, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what one could use as an alignment tool if one doesn't have one? Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Something that made my life loads easier last time I did one if you have a strut brace (or a big wooden post laid across the strut towers), loop a ratchet strap around it and use it to support the weight of the box when you're refitting it, loads easier to guide it on when you don't have to hold its weight as well. That and removing the half-shaft under the sump, absolute lady garden of a job.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(30-12-2013, 11:09 PM)Tom Wrote: If Chris can do one anyone can Wink (i am so sorry)

But in all seriousness expect it to take a weekend if you haven't done one before then if you catch on quick it shouldnt take that long. If you can having someone who has change a clutch before would be of great advantage. If you can find someone whos done an XUD clutch before, even better.

lmao

Its tricky removing the pin for the clutch arm have a spare arm ready just incase you have to bend it, tbh other than that it's all pretty simple. First time I did took gearbox off and found it very easy (apart from 3 hours shouting at the clutch arm) and took about 10mins to get the gearbox back on, on my own all though it is fairly heavy.

Only one way to learn tho just jump in and do it, that's what I do didn't no anything about the 306 tbh before joining here, now can do almost anything. Just in the middle or rebuilding an xud engine now so come a long way.

(30-12-2013, 11:31 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Sorry to hijack your thread, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what one could use as an alignment tool if one doesn't have one? Big Grin

Valeo clutches come with a plastic alignment tool well the used to, but if not just just a long reach socket with some tape round it.

Thanks given by:
(30-12-2013, 11:31 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Sorry to hijack your thread, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what one could use as an alignment tool if one doesn't have one? Big Grin

Do it by eye. It aint that bad really. Valeos seem to always come with an alignment tool though witch is handy
Thanks given by:
Yeah, not when it's second hand and part used. Only cost me postage really though, thanks to Tom on here. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I used a bit of mop handle wrapped in gaffer tape.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
lol epic pikey Liam, wouldn't expect anything less from you tbh! lmao
Thanks given by:
Danglyballs, just go to a local garage and ask for one. Most clutches come with a plastic one so garages will have loads hanging about
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hmm...good shout sir. Might just do that! I shall stop taking over the OP's thread now though. Thanks for the tips guys! Wink
Thanks given by:
Selling as spares or repair as I dont have time
Thanks given by:
Wingnutz...you can just do it by eye if you cant find one Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, i know a couple of garages round here, so i'll try them first, might go see the guy with the sweet looking Astor 6, and if its there i'll get some pics of it. lol
Thanks given by:
I left the o/s drive shaft in the whole way through, doable but was a bit of a twat to realign at the end!!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Extension with some tape on would work aswell :p
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 D turbo Clutch options AssMonkey13 30 7,311 23-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Last Post: AssMonkey13