Spraying a bumper

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spraying a bumper
I want to get this bumper i have sprayed on the cheap lol i also want a good finish Big Grin

Now i have plastic primer in a rattle can and i also have hi build primer in a rattle can already.. Do you think i could get a decent finish if i primed out of the cans and then just buy a half liter of water based colour and spray it out of a spray gun.. Same with lacquer.

I'm just thinking the primer will be flattened down anyway so it doesn't matter how its applied? Thanks for any help Smile
Thanks given by:
Aslong as your prepare the surface correctly before doing anything the rest will usually turn out good, unless your an idiot with a rattle can Smile

Just keep the layers even and when you spray the colour on make sure you spray it all in the same direction so you dont get uneven distribution Smile
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
declantg Wrote:Just keep the layers even and when you spray the colour on make sure you spray it all in the same direction so you dont get uneven distribution Smile

This is a must if it's a metallic paint otherwise it will look like a 2 year old has done it!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
^^ Ideally I would do even coats in alternating directions if it was me Smile

But as said, as long as the prep is good then you should get a decent finish.
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:^^ Ideally I would do even coats in alternating directions if it was me Smile

Only if it is non metallic Smile

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
declantg Wrote:
mark_airey Wrote:^^ Ideally I would do even coats in alternating directions if it was me Smile

Only if it is non metallic Smile

If you say so Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
I feel like you no something that i do not? lol

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
You want the fleck in the paint all to lye the same way or else it will look shit. So spray from left to right. Don't go left right then reverse then left right again. If you get me.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Im handy enough with rattle cans lol i have my own spray gun too which i can use but its just i have the primer here so i might as well use it..
Thanks given by:
Do i spray ordinary primer over plastic primer? Or straight to colour after it?
Thanks given by:
Normal primer over plastic primer Smile

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
If the bumpers already painted you don't even need plastic primer. As for spray direction, the base layers of colour don't matter, you should be flattening them anyway. You only need a final coat of colour to be in the same direction for the metallics to lie properly, just build up your initial colour as normal.

Once it's primed though you're usually good for most paints on top.

Oh and remember when doing each coat to do the cutting in and details first before the large flat areas.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks very much cwspellowe Smile great help!
Thanks given by:
cwspellowe Wrote:If the bumpers already painted you don't even need plastic primer. As for spray direction, the base layers of colour don't matter, you should be flattening them anyway. You only need a final coat of colour to be in the same direction for the metallics to lie properly, just build up your initial colour as normal.

Once it's primed though you're usually good for most paints on top.

Oh and remember when doing each coat to do the cutting in and details first before the large flat areas.

Thank you!!!! Clearly your wrong like me though lol

Oh, as above, but if its a ph1 or 2 bumper and you plan to paint the black section then you will need to give that a blast with the plastic primer first Smile

if its staying black then just mask it off (obviously)
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Phase 3 bumper thanks mark Smile also have the side strips and back bumper to colour code so ill keep that in mind!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spraying/Painting Alan_M 0 866 26-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Alan_M
  centre console spraying NottsPug 6 2,435 24-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Last Post: kentiiboii
  Spraying an intercooler Icywalts 5 1,731 07-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Last Post: Sambarker