Break, Fix, or Engine Swap?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Break, Fix, or Engine Swap?
So.... For the cost of a probably fuel and a friendly favour (tow car & transporter trailer) I'm being given a china 2.0xsi with damaged head. So seeing as I now have a drive, do I
A: Lay it up, Break it to order for people on here.
B: it's already been attempted but get a new head and attempt a fix.
C: XUD it and keep as a spare / project car
Thanks given by:
Xud

/thread
Vehicle repair and servicing in the midlands pm for details 

Current cars
Subaru Impreza 2.0d - Daily
306 1.8 - track whore soon to be GTI6
Thanks given by:
What he said ^^^^
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2013, 07:32 AM)td_dan Wrote: Xud

/thread

or rebuild the current engine that's in the car, you cannot beat a second car. The amount of stuff you will learn! you will be able to build a 306 from scratch practically!
Thanks given by:
XUD with Twin turkey blowers
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
306s aren't really worth breaking these days (unless they've got lots of shinies!) so wouldn't bother with that.

Personally I'd stick another head on and sell it on, but obviously it's up to you!
Thanks given by:
(19-12-2013, 07:32 AM)td_dan Wrote: Xud

/thread

Wise words are wise.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Well he's moved the goalposts a little now, he now wants £93 for it as that's what a scrap man offered him for it, tbh I'm still okay with that as will get the cyclones off it for the estate at least. A fix has already been attempted but don't know what the issue was, I know the belt didnt snap, but some damage was done, a replacement head was bought but don't know wether that was already knackered or was no joy when fitted or wether the job was ever completed. Worth a punt though, will have to have a look when I get it over here and if it's knackered the XUD it will be, she can have the estate when/if she passes and I'll have the hatch :-)
Thanks given by:
sake of 93 quid, id have take it. as you can swop over the good bits off it onto yours. or maybe even have a look at the engine. you mite have got a bargin if rest is ok and just drop another lump in, then sell it on.
Thanks given by:
bargain! bno questions asked buy it, drop a new enginein and flog on or keep as second motor!
Thanks given by:
Consider the fuel to move the car, the time to move it, and the logbook having a diesel in it rather than a petrol, then you have to keep it somewhere. If you're gonna weigh it in you need to transport it to the scrapyard too. I would have thought most scrapyards would offer more than £93 though? But it's good of him to offer it to you at no extra cost. Have tried to do the same before to make a little on the side but end up breaking even due to all the little extra costs that add up.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1.4 to... which engine swap? Fyndath 13 1,835 22-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Last Post: toseland
  Engine swap help masterdave 2 992 25-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  What your Most embarrassing break down? daniel909 44 6,215 29-07-2014, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305