1.4 to... which engine swap?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.4 to... which engine swap?
Dear 306oc,

I'm in a bit of trouble, as I can't which engine swap to go for. I've read a lot in the past 2 nights, but couldn't find help. 
So the story: I have a 1.4 tu engined baby with a rebuilt, strengthened gti suspension, but the engine is dying and is quite weak. So I thought: why not change it for something faster? But here comss the catch... I live in Hungary, where we dont have any gti/vts cars, so no rs engine. Also no tct(xu10j2te) engines. We on the other hand have a lot of tu 1.6 16v nfu (tu5jp4) engines, some weaker ew10j4 engines and I found a s16 engine, which of course needs a rebuild.

So to the point: which engine should I go for? I'd like a reliable engine, with around 180-200hp, with lots of low end torque, as I don't really like to rev it past 6000. I know I could turbo the tu with standard internals, but what about a low boost s16 turbo? Can I get away using standard internals? All of this on vems management.

Thanks for reading all this! Smile

Best Regards,
Chris
Thanks given by:
Loads of low end torque, 180ish bhp you say. Put a derv lump in it. Job done.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I thought about that, but I cant put a derv lump into a petrol car, at least legally there is no way.
Thanks given by:
Can you import a petrol engine? Loads of motors over here sure someone can help.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Low boost 1.6 16v ThumbsUp win
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I could import, but I guess it would cost a fortune... How about the s16 block? Can it live with a low boost supercharger like a gti6? On stock internals?
Thanks given by:
No idea to be honest I'm not that good with the petrol ones. Unfortunately
Thanks given by:
yes, probably take more boost in reality.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Can you get hold of the 1.8 16v XU petrol engine? They are plentiful and cheap here as they are a little unloved but great engines.
Thanks given by:
Im with Piggy on a low boost 1.6 16v, take the power well and are also pretty revvy all over and pretty efficient.
Thanks given by:
1.6 16v with a view to adding some inlet pressure
Thanks given by:
one downside of the 1.6, the chocolate teapot gearbox bolted to them, unless you do a BE4 conversion, which isnt too bad in a 306 as its the same chassis legs and subframe as the partner which did get a ti5 with a be box
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
1.6 16v it is then, thanks Smile yeah I thought about the be conversion.
And yes there are plenty 1.8 engines here, but as I've read they need a fortune spent on them to be fast
Thanks given by:
Hdi...all the way...

Petrol.. pfff
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine swap help masterdave 2 992 25-10-2015, 06:44 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Break, Fix, or Engine Swap? Dodgy Bob 10 2,261 26-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Help with engine swap..there will be BBQ Ben Jay 36 9,834 21-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Last Post: bigcheez2k3