Reverse Light Switch?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverse Light Switch?!
Alright Chaps!

I'm looking for my reverse light switch on an auto 1.8 xu7jp.

[Image: WP_20131218_003.jpg]

As you can see, I've taken off the battery, removed the box and the battery plate as instructed in Haynes.

[Image: WP_20131218_001.jpg]

But then Haynes simply states: Trace the wiring back from the switch to the connector and unplug it. Then unscrew it out of the housing. Simples!

But which one is the fecking switch?!

Is it this ugly thing here??

[Image: WP_20131218_002.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Anyone?? :/
Thanks given by:
I have no idea about the auto boxes, but on the manuals it is a brown or white plug depending on the age.

Get your brakes sorted?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Reverse light switches are usually only 2 wires, and that looks like 3 so probably isn't. As above though, I'm not clued up on the auto's!
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2013, 05:41 PM)Grant Wrote: I have no idea about the auto boxes, but on the manuals it is a brown or white plug depending on the age.

Get your brakes sorted?

It's sitting much better now yeah but got it booked into the garage for a full replacement of it's drums before the MOT. Just going through all of its problems one-by-one now...
Thanks given by:
Is this an auto?

It's probably under the gear selector console. Which is where reverse light switches lurk on most autos.

If it makes you feel better, reverse lights don't come into the MOT. Tongue
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
It's part of the inhibitor switch, 4 wires where you red line is
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2013, 06:58 PM)Martin306 Wrote: Is this an auto?

It's probably under the gear selector console. Which is where reverse light switches lurk on most autos.

If it makes you feel better, reverse lights don't come into the MOT. Tongue

Yeah it's an auto. You mean within the car? I've had the selector cover off when i removed the central surround for the handbrake and not noticed anything. I'll hve a better look tomorrow.

(18-12-2013, 07:26 PM)miles Wrote: It's part of the inhibitor switch, 4 wires where you red line is

Thanks Miles, I think that may be my culprit there then!
Thanks given by:
Never seen that engine before
Thanks given by:
1.8 8V auto! what a beast!
Thanks given by:
The ladies love it when I'm cruising with the two booster seats in the back...

Oh, and an update. The RLS was working fine, it is the sensor in the gear selector that is not working problem (an electric problem in a 306! who'd a thought?!) Gonig to take a look at it some point soon when I have the time to strip back the plastics.
Thanks given by: