Rattle - My Crank Pulley is Green!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rattle - My Crank Pulley is Green!
My HDi has developed a rattle lately. Rattle makes an appearance just above idle, and sounds much like a buggered tappet. At higher revs, it sounds more harsh. I figured it was probably the crank pulley, as when you first fire it up the lights flicker with a small rev, so had a look today. My crank pulley is green!

[Image: 3tc0.jpg]

Problem is, I listened for the rattle and it doesn't sound like it is coming from the pulley, more from the camshaft sprocket.

Looks like a pulley is on the cards anyway, plus I was always planning a cambelt/tensioner overhaul. But anyone got other ideas?

What pulley is it I need for the 307 conversion? EuroCarParts list loads!
Thanks given by:
Is that coolant on the pulley? Waterpump failing?
Thanks given by:
i would think its the die out the aircon system that has turned the pulley green
Thanks given by:
What i would do 1st is to take the aux belt of and start the engine for a few seconds
and see if its still making the noise
As it might be the A/C pump as i just bought a car for spares at that was making a noise like you describing and it turned out to be the A/C pump
Thanks given by:
Aircon die is green as said. I cut mine over a white concrete drive. Still not come out I need to get some good cleaner that reminds me
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
There is a cambelt tensioner just below the camshaft sproclet, maybe worth a check.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Look for my recent post about crank pulley, there are only two to choose from at ecp the correct diameter. A Cheap one and a supposed oe quality one.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Good point about the AC dye, it doesn't look as though there's any on the AC pulley though. Confused

(07-12-2013, 08:28 AM)HDIkyle Wrote: Aircon die is green as said. I cut mine over a white concrete drive. Still not come out I need to get some good cleaner that reminds me

Good luck getting that out..... I got some dribbled down my jeans in July.....its still there after numerous washes! Dodgy
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crank pulley compatibility Dreijers 0 1,107 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Dreijers
  Middle box delete and crank pulley allye 27 6,257 29-10-2016, 06:41 AM
Last Post: allye
  Jingle Jangle rattle noise? tigerstyle 9 2,105 06-06-2016, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Toms306