Favourite Roads?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite Roads?
So, what's everyone's favourite road for a hoon? I reckon we've all got at least one road we'll drive for no reason other than because it's fun, I know if I'm a bit bored early on a Sunday morning I'll go for a drive for no real reason lol

1. Buttertubs Pass (B6270 from Thwaite to Keld, North Yorkshire)

In the Yorkshire Dales National Park, a twisty mountain pass along a shelf with a 500 foot drop by your side, perfectly surfaced and usually quiet, very bumpy though, a real test of damping! It's in an area surrounded by great roads and beautiful views as well.

[Image: DSCN1797.jpg]

2. Kirkstone Pass (A592 from Windermere to Penrith, Cumbria)

Another mountain pass through the heart of the lake district, starting from Windermere you climb up through a pass over the fells, on a very tight and twisty but well surfaced road, then drop down to Ullswater and another twisting road running along the shore of the lake with loads of places to stop and admire the view. Bit busy but Cumbria always is!

[Image: IMG_2541.jpg]

3. St Ives to Lands End (B3306, Cornwall)

A wide open, well surfaced cliff top coast road with amazing views of the Atlantic ocean, and again quite quiet as the main road way is quicker Smile

[Image: StIvestoLandsEndroad.jpg]

Now you go!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Would love to go for a drive on that Buttertubs Pass, have yet to find any nice country roads here in west Yorkshire.
New forest has some really nice roads but can never seem to find them again after driving on them
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Picked up an engine from Wales the other weekend. The a44 is an awesome road and nearly every other road was just as good! Shame I had an engine in the boot!

There's a few good little b road sprints near me.
Caversham to Henley, don't know the road name
A321 Twyford to Henley
The road from Henley to Christmas common bit going past Stonor park.

You really have to go far afield to get anything that's long and flowing Sad
Thanks given by:
(20-11-2013, 11:57 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Would love to go for a drive on that Buttertubs Pass, have yet to find any nice country roads here in west Yorkshire.
New forest has some really nice roads but can never seem to find them again after driving on them

Loads of good stuff on the outskirts of Huddersfield Steve, Personally I tend to go for a drive over Saddleworth Moor/Ripponden if the mood takes me as its on my doorstep. Infact I rolled my first car on the A58 heading upto J22 lol

Never done Buttertubs though I want to...Not in the van though as the suspension is ruined and I'd only end up crashing it. Love the Lake district's and North Yorkshires roads aswell, Could'nt name any though.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Theres a few good ones around the new forest, but unless you can go mid-week they're full of morons doing 15mph and waving at ponies. Rhinefield and bolderwood ornamental drives are good, although busy. Burley road and the lane from bolderwood to rockford are pretty awesome.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Up through Cheddar Gorge and up over the mendips is always fun!

[Image: CliffTopWalks_Big.jpg]

[Image: cheddar-gorge-aerial-view.jpg]
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I live on the Welsh border so many epic hooning roads are right on my doorstep, crossing from Wales back into Herefordshire there is a visible line in the tarmac where the perfect tarmac ends and goes back into potholes.

One particularly good road is right in the top of North Wales at great orme. It was one of the stages of rally gb last weekend, a road that doesn't go anywhere, just around the edge of the coast it steep cliffs on the one side and the Irish Sea on the other, really winding twisty road but good tarmac.

Another Welsh favourite is the road from brecon to Aberystwyth, fairly quiet but need to look out for sheep on the road, also lots of blind crests and corners, not many passing spaces if someone comes the other way

Epynt is another belter, it's a large Hill owned by the mod, all private land but open to the public when the army arnt training up there, all perfect roads built by military to simulate driving abroad, there's loads of down hill s bends, long straights and water splashes.
Another reason that makes Epynt good is the army have built fake German towns and villages up there for training exercises, really surreal hooning through a ghost town with empty bullet cases littering the floor.

Wales is to blame for my high headgasket consumption :-P
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
A3; m25 to Portsmouth after ace cafe.

I do enjoy the cheddar gorge road.

Have always enjoyed the a303 to the little chef, then the back roads into Salisbury.
Thanks given by:
Cheddar Gorge is epic. Part of the reason I love Yorkshire though is how many great roads there are, Pickering to Whitby over the moors, Boroughbridge to Settle through the Dales, Tan Hill, Otley to Pateley Bridge, Scammonden, Whitby to Brid down the coast road, and Cumbria is pretty close too with all it's passes. I defy anyone to drive Hardknott and not shit themselves a little bit...
Thanks given by:
Also I know its weird but I love driving over the bridge into cornwall (or wherever it is when I venture down toward Darren)!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 10:22 AM)silverzx Wrote: Also I know its weird but I love driving over the bridge into cornwall (or wherever it is when I venture down toward Darren)!

Tamar bridge?
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 11:32 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(21-11-2013, 10:22 AM)silverzx Wrote: Also I know its weird but I love driving over the bridge into cornwall (or wherever it is when I venture down toward Darren)!

Tamar bridge?

Thats the one. Dunno why lol!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 11:51 AM)silverzx Wrote:
(21-11-2013, 11:32 AM)THE_Liam Wrote:

Tamar bridge?

Thats the one. Dunno why lol!

Cornwall is an awesome place, you get a good feeling just driving into it Smile
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 10:06 AM)Pompey306mark Wrote: A3; m25 to Portsmouth after ace cafe.

I do enjoy the cheddar gorge road.

Have always enjoyed the a303 to the little chef, then the back roads into Salisbury.

You enjoy driving motorways? Wtaf lol, should have been a lorry driver bud!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
B656 Hitchin > Codicote. If you search Youtube you'll find some terrible videos that someone made in his MX5...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
No motorways. One dual carriage way.
Thanks given by:
Still reckon you missed your calling there lol. On the subject of back roads around salisbury, have you driven up romsey road, think its called the b3084..? That's a pretty nice road, although like everywhere in this part of the country its too built up for my liking.

Which bit of the 303 is it then? Ive only ever been on the dual carriageway part, wrongly assumed it was the same for you.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
A82 from Tyndrum to Ballachulish bridge. Best road ever.

Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
A4069 - Road that goes over the 'black mountain' not far from where i used to live in wales.. properly properly epic road, Top Gear have filmed a fair few things on there too..

[Image: DSC_1277.jpg]

[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Coming from Somerset, the 303 goes past a little chef. If you turn off there and head the back roads into Wilton and Salisbury then you end up with some great roads along there.
Thanks given by:
Got some great ones here. I really do need to drive some of the mountain roads in Wales...
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 01:43 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: A4069 - Road that goes over the 'black mountain' not far from where i used to live in wales.. properly properly epic road, Top Gear have filmed a fair few things on there too..

[Image: DSC_1277.jpg]

Yes Danny! That road is sooooo good :-)
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
i have a few local fun ones. snakes pass, woodhead is ok. cat and fiddle always fun but from altrincham to warrington, quite flat but some very nice corners to play with
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 03:09 PM)ozonehostile Wrote:
(21-11-2013, 01:43 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: A4069 - Road that goes over the 'black mountain' not far from where i used to live in wales.. properly properly epic road, Top Gear have filmed a fair few things on there too..

Yes Danny! That road is sooooo good :-)

Hell yeah! First time up there after stage 2'ing the HDi and i set the brakes on fire on the way down hahaha
Thanks given by:
I remember that video!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I think it's still on here somewhere, shows a decent view of the twists turns etc.. pain in the ass if you get caught behind someone though with not that many places to overtake and the occasional sheep/wild horse in the middle of the road
Thanks given by:
The A697 from Morpeth to Lauder through Coldstream. Epic road.

A166 from York to Brid through Stamford Bridge up Garrowby Hill (think that's how it's spelt)
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 03:12 PM)hucky Wrote: i have a few local fun ones. snakes pass, woodhead is ok. cat and fiddle always fun but from altrincham to warrington, quite flat but some very nice corners to play with

Last time I went over the snake I saw 7 camera vans! 50 limit as well Sad
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 06:27 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: Picked up an engine from Wales the other weekend. The a44 is an awesome road and nearly every other road was just as good! Shame I had an engine in the boot!

There's a few good little b road sprints near me.
Caversham to Henley, don't know the road name
A321 Twyford to Henley
The road from Henley to Christmas common bit going past Stonor park.

You really have to go far afield to get anything that's long and flowing Sad

Welsh roads tend to be awesome and looked after.
Thanks given by:
(21-11-2013, 02:03 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: Coming from Somerset, the 303 goes past a little chef. If you turn off there and head the back roads into Wilton and Salisbury then you end up with some great roads along there.

Orly?? Will be driving past that lot this weekend, may have to make a minor detour... Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Popular cars vanishing from our roads Herby7 17 3,899 06-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Shiny
  Recommended roads? 306'ish? Redordead89 14 4,290 14-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Last Post: Redordead89
  Favourite Forum Car Nathan1305 56 15,246 24-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Last Post: zx_volcane