What Speakers?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Speakers?
After my drive up to Ipswich and back (to collect a Xsara VTS beam/struts/ARB), I found the speakers in the 306 resembling farting noises with any music that had a hint of bass.

Now, I'm not really into bass-in-your-face nor do I want an amplifier in the car. So, recommend me some speakers to use with a Sony headunit (4x45W). Personally, can't see the point of replacing the HU that works fine and is more than ample for me. Just want half-decent sound quality.

Speakers preferably need to look OE as well, but would consider the tweeter mod on the fronts.

What about these?

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_...-24077.htm

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_...-20265.htm
Thanks given by:
Them Focals are superb. I had the older version of them and the only reason i got rid was to get the next model up. They are very crisp and sound fantastic. Obviously more expensive than the alpines but having listened to both of them my self, the Focals aren't even comparable to the Alpines they are that much better.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Focal's would be my recommendation, they're what I run in my cars. Although you'll see a much better improvement upgrading your head unit too. It's all well and good changing the speakers, but it won't help that much if the source isn't up to the job. In my experience Sony are fairly rubbish with HUs. Get a second hand Alpine off of eBay and you'll hear the difference. I know you said you don't want an amp, but that's what you need to get the best from the speakers. It's not expensive, nor is it hard to do.
Thanks given by:
(09-11-2013, 10:42 PM)Curt Wrote: Focal's would be my recommendation, they're what I run in my cars. Although you'll see a much better improvement upgrading your head unit too. It's all well and good changing the speakers, but it won't help that much if the source isn't up to the job. In my experience Sony are fairly rubbish with HUs. Get a second hand Alpine off of eBay and you'll hear the difference. I know you said you don't want an amp, but that's what you need to get the best from the speakers. It's not expensive, nor is it hard to do.

This. Unfortunately getting decent quality audio is a slippery slope. Ive had 2 Sony HUs now and both have been shockingly bad in comparison to other brands.
Also, when you are going for a mid range speaker like them Focals, they will sound fine but only when you put them on a amp do they really come to life! I was shocked at the difference in quality of sound when i amped mine. Was like going and buying new speakers.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
You will probably need to re-mount the electric window struts to provide the necessary extra mounting depth.
Thanks given by:
(10-11-2013, 08:56 PM)Pipps Wrote: You will probably need to re-mount the electric window struts to provide the necessary extra mounting depth.

Or just buy spacers for £5. Moving the window runners isn't an option unless you never lower your windows lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I moved my window runners back 1-2 inches to accommodate proper magnets and the windows still operate perfectly Smile
Thanks given by:
How bloody deep are your speakers?

Those focals are deep and I used a 9mm spacer just fine!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I used 12mm wooden baffles for providing extra space on the door-card side, too. The magnets only just clear inside. Decent speakers have big magnets!
Thanks given by:
So you were running speakers that needed 62mm of spacing?

As I said, when I had my Focal VB165's they only needed 9mm. Unless your running competition grade stuff, i dunno what was going on lol. What speakers were they?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
I'm really after speakers that fit behind the standard trim. What about these FLi speakers?
Thanks given by:
Fli comp6s? Got them in mine, I'm happy with them for the money, getting the tweeters up high in the mirror blanks helped a lot. From my pioneer hu they sound good, an amp would help but don't want to go down that road currently really, maybe in the future!
Thanks given by:
I've used Flis before in a 306 and they were shocking, they don't come close to comparing to the Focals in your OP. Go for those, they're worth it.
Thanks given by:
I have had Vibe and Infinity door speakers before, both were excellent. Not sure about the Fli ones, i know they are owned by Vibe but heard mixed reviews.
Thanks given by:
Well Vibe aren't very good and Fli is the budget version of a budget brand. So...
Thanks given by:
Alan, the guys over at the TalkAudio forums always provide fantastic car audio advice.
Thanks given by:
I personally would also recommend the focals had excellent experience with them in all my cars. Such a crisp sound.
Thanks given by:
Ended up ordering the Focal 165A1s and cheaper Alpine's for the back, as well as a new Alpine DAB HU.

Should be coming in the next few days.
Thanks given by:
Sounds a good set up. Hu sounds a good job nice one.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Door speakers and parcel shelf speakers Welshy_Pete 7 3,975 24-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Last Post: mark_airey