Coolant pre-heater

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant pre-heater
I know we've discussed this before, but can't find the information for the life of me. Want to get new glow plugs for the coolant pre-heater and am struggling to find anything on them, drawn a blank on autodata and at the local factors. Could get it from pug, but they want silly money considering its just a casting with some glow plugs in it. If somebody has one hanging around or knows the part numbers, i'd be very grateful.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I seem to recal them being the same as the 1.9dts?
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Try the search function. /piggy Tongue

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-12893.ht...eater+plug
Thanks given by:
I swear to god, I searched "coolant heater plugs" and went through the first ten pages TWICE before posting this thread, wtaf?? Clearly I need new eyes lol. Thanks man, that's exactly the thread I was looking for, repped.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Did you ever get around to measuring those tom?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hmm, I did but I obviously forgot to update the thread. Fail. Doh
Thanks given by:
Bugger lol. Well it seems the part number you found on them is for pencil-type plugs, which doesn't match the picture at all, the body is too long by far. Sad

So yeah, anybody else breaking an hdi? lol

Incidentally, did a quick search and they do look very similar to the dt ones, would rather be sure before I shell out though.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The HDi 'box I still have here (its free ffs, someone take it!) has another coolant heater attached to it... lol If I get a chance I'll try and get the plugs out of that one to measure.

Seems odd that the part number isn't right though! Confused
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, thanks man. Tbh, i'll buy it off you - that way I can just fit it to the new engine and not have to muck about lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Can if you want, the plugs are probably the originals though. Confused
Thanks given by:
That's fine, i'm going to replace them anyway lol. Might even have the gearbox off you, may be doing a tour of the southern half of the country again soon. Will pm you if/when i plan anything. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok fair enough then. Smile
Thanks given by:
Just buy it from Peugeot. Its only £172! Confused
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
So when does the heater turn on and off then?
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2013, 06:48 PM)Ricky Wrote: So when does the heater turn on and off then?

monday through friday and it has the weekends off

the heater is controlled by a map in the ecu
basicly
if the coolant temp is below 40c and the outside temp is below 10c then the heater will operate
untill the coolant is up to 60c

it is a pre heater for tha cabin coolant to give the pasenger/driver some instant heat cause the engine is so efficiant it heats the coolant slowly
Thanks given by:
(25-10-2013, 07:31 PM)cully Wrote:
(25-10-2013, 06:48 PM)Ricky Wrote: So when does the heater turn on and off then?

monday through friday and it has the weekends off

the heater is controlled by a map in the ecu
basicly
if the coolant temp is below 40c and the cabin temp is below 10c then the heater will operate
untill the coolant is up to 60c

it is a pre heater for tha cabin coolant to give the pasenger/driver some instant heat cause the engine is so efficiant it heats the coolant slowly

It uses the cabin thermistor near the map reading light.
Thanks given by:
paperwork i have says outside temp Wink

EDIT
sorry it reads Ambient temp so yes probably cabin Smile

reheating authorisation zone.
The injection ECU works out the heating requirement in the passenger compartment when starting as a function of the curve.
Example 1 :
l Engine coolant temperature=40 °C.
l The ambient temperature=- 10 °C.
l The temperature conditions are in the additional heating operating zone.
Thanks given by:
Could the map be altered to keep it on longer? Be nice to have heat faster lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
faster? mine is pritty damn fast dont drive even a mile before im fealing heat
Thanks given by:
Well mines probably buggered then lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'd imagine most are buggered after ~12 years lol, imagine keeping engine glow plugs in that long. Undecided
Thanks given by:
The engine will run more efficiently when it's up to temperature, could be beneficial to extend that operating range for us eco boys.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
You might lose efficiency because of the high power consumption of the heater. The power you gain might be lost in the extra current generation of the alternator.
Thanks given by:
I did wonder about that, they draw about 55a when they're on (assuming i've worked it out right), but they should only need to be on for two minutes tops, so shouldn't be awful... Meh, will see if i can get steve to find and adjust the control map for me and see what happens. Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Or just wire up a seperate circuit for it to a switch with a timer, it's what I did on my XUD. Don't know whether it would work ok.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
I was thinking of putting a second heater unit in last year to help heat up faster but never got around to doing it.
Thanks given by:
Not sure, could actually work better, the standard system is set up to run on 8v. Or it could work too well and boil the coolant... Hmm

Oh yeah, where were you going to install it?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have at least one of them here, possibly 2 or 3. I i kinda wanna keep but if i can find extras do you wanna buy them poodlywoodly?

I was seriously considering mounting a second one inline and running it off a switch.

If anyone ever ran an electric water pump you could run a battery charger to your house and have it set up so you could come down in the morning in your PJs and dressing gown and turn on the water pump and the 2 heaters and set the blower then the car would be fully warm by the time youd had your tea and toast.
Thanks given by:
I put one in the pipe just before it attaches to the matrix.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Sorry Ricky, that was aimed at DeeTurbo. Good shout though, I think that's where the standard one is on the hdi, was thinking a second could go post-stat housing (non-rad circuit obviously lol). And having re-read your last post i'm guessing it didn't boil the coolant if you had it installed fine lol. /eyesfail

(26-10-2013, 07:53 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I have at least one of them here, possibly 2 or 3. I i kinda wanna keep but if i can find extras do you wanna buy them poodlywoodly?

I was seriously considering mounting a second one inline and running it off a switch.

If anyone ever ran an electric water pump you could run a battery charger to your house and have it set up so you could come down in the morning in your PJs and dressing gown and turn on the water pump and the 2 heaters and set the blower then the car would be fully warm by the time youd had your tea and toast.

Might well take you up on that, cheers man. Don't suppose you fancy finding the part numbers on the plugs for me? Inlove

Funnily enough i've had that idea before, not sure it'd bring any net saving though, unless we can make it efficient/low energy enough to run off the car battery.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolant Heater Golwplugs Toms306 8 2,985 16-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Toms306