Quiet but loud exhaust??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiet but loud exhaust??
Just bought a 306 HDI with a straight though system on it, and for me, where i live, with a 1 year old in the back its too loud, mostly on low revs/tick over. I used to have a mate with a fabia vrs that had a civilised exhaust note until boost cut in, so loud at med to high revs and quiet almost standard at start up, tick over and low revs. Anyone know off any systems for these that would give me this 'best of both worlds'. Or if i could just add a middle box or sumat, any help would be greatly appreciated
JJ
Thanks given by:
Drop a mid box on it in place of the backbox, it'll shut it up loads at idle
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
When comparing to the vRS you need to take into account that it's a more refined car with better sound proofing, as well as other considerations. My exhaust is like that, quiet enough when you need it to be and loud enough when I want it to be, I think a lot has to do with that.
Thanks given by:
Im new to the diesel and hdi tuning world, il drag out a smallish middle box from the scrap at work n weld it in at the back, someone i work with told me they ground angled slits in his tail pipe and slotted and welded in steel plates to disrupt the flow. Not sure how true this is or what effect it would actualy have? Anyone come across this before?
Thanks given by:
A standard HDi midbox is ideal as it matches the standard diameter Big Grin

And that sounds horribly restrictive, I wouldn't bother personally. Twin midbox is probably the quietest set up that still flows reasonably.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
mines had a bit of straight pipe welded in place of the backbox, midbox still in place and decatted, sounds loudest just under 2k revs before the turbo has fully spooled then the whistle from that takes over and the exhaust seems to quieten off a bit

not sure what it sounds like outside
Thanks given by:
Midbox to backbox mod and an extra layer of sound deadening under the boot should do it. Vrs runs a vnt, which will enhance the difference, but thats a lot of work to achieve on these engines.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Loud Tapping On Start td163 15 3,620 07-12-2015, 07:14 AM
Last Post: THE_Liam
  Turbo now really loud LewisG 2 1,186 05-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Last Post: LewisG
  Loud turbo whistle Brucky 10 3,165 14-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Brucky