Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MR2 or MX5/Eunos?
Man logic Joe. More power is better then less power. Big Grin
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
People seem to think that the MX5 is about sideways action and they're just not! They're a good car to actually drive, not to be a chav in...

After being driven in and having a quick drive of a MR2 turbo (admittedly ~400hp) I can safely say that mid engined isn't for me - much too snappy - maybe with less power than the MR2 I went in they'd be a cracking drive...

The 4AGE is a bloody cracking engine I know that much, a silver/black top 20v conversion would be epic in one for a bit more punch. Typical Yamaha based engine really.

After driving and being in/around MX5s for a while, I have never been impressed with the engines, thy definitely feel to need a bit more character and oomph, they feel old and a bit stale really, seeing how easily they're boosted I can imagine that really helps them...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I'm not after something properly fast, as I've said in other threads I don't want something that I can't thrash the shit out of on a B-road without being in loss of license/life territory. I like the look of some of the drift mods but as for actually drifting I'm not serious about it. Drifters act like it's some kind of sport or lifestyle, and like it's a new thing, when it's actually just dicking about. Nothing wrong with that but don't make it more than it is. Everyone occasionally flicks a RWD car into a roundabout and hits the loud pedal, but I couldn't spend all day doing it.

Basically, I want RWD, sub 1000kg ideally, open top, revvy engine and classic insurance for a weekend toy I can take out over the moors or through the dales on a Sunday morning and do the occasional track day in, that's it.

I think it's gonna be a Eunos, much cheaper than decent MR2s, loads more around, cheaper and better specced than MX5s, much more forgiving, proper open top, more choice, easy to mod Smile
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
The Eunos tends to come with a lot more toys than the UK spec too, we have the 1.8S which has Bilsteins and a Torsen rear diff plus full electrics, etc.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Had a go in a G-reg Eunos today, leather, working AC (seems pointless on a soft-top...), LSD, wood Nardi steering wheel, BBS wheels, drove beautifully but was too rotten at £900 to be worth welding up. Really enjoyed driving it, steering is really communicative, ride is surprisingly smooth, plenty of slip at the back end but really predictable and fun, great engine, very keen to rev and it sounds great with the roof down, brilliant gear ratios and gear change, only complaint I had is it was bloody cramped. Too rusty though...
Thanks given by:
For some reason you just don't fit the bill for an mx5 fella!!

Big long haired northern metal head in a eunos!!!! Fuckin worth ιt for the Lols
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2013, 04:26 PM)Jonny b Wrote: For some reason you just don't fit the bill for an mx5 fella!!

Big long haired northern metal head in a eunos!!!! Fuckin worth ιt for the Lols

Ha, I ditched the long hair ages ago mate, and I'm actually a shortarse, I'm only 5-9! Even still though, it was f*cking cramped...
Thanks given by:
Ok don't seem so funny now!! Lol

Go a head then!!

Short haired shortarse northern metal head don't have the same comedy value though!!

Always look lιke a big lad in pics lol
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2013, 04:31 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Always look lιke a big lad in pics lol

Everyone says that weirdly...

Off topic but how you liking the scooby? Are they as bad on juice as I've heard?
Thanks given by:
Did it have the cabin brace behind the seats?

If you flip it over so it goes backwards the seats go a bit further back.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Yep!!

Ha ha I feckin love it!!' if you stay off boost they're not that bad still quite juicy though but ιts 4wd so to be expected really, on a run ιts not that bad! I got 250 miles to about £70 on a run with the family so just sat at 80 bit quicker for over takes lol

But I have had sub 10's when out playing with friends lol
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2013, 04:37 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Did it have the cabin brace behind the seats?

If you flip it over so it goes backwards the seats go a bit further back.

Yeah it did, and that would help actually, although shoulder room was a bigger issue...

Still, I wouldn't be using it for long runs.
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2013, 04:38 PM)Jonny b Wrote: Yep!!

Ha ha I feckin love it!!' if you stay off boost they're not that bad still quite juicy though but ιts 4wd so to be expected really, on a run ιts not that bad! I got 250 miles to about £70 on a run with the family so just sat at 80 bit quicker for over takes lol

But I have had sub 10's when out playing with friends lol

Jesus that is juicy! Worth it for the noise though?
Thanks given by:
Elise seats bolt in with a little subframe work for those of a wider girth...Wink
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2013, 05:03 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: Elise seats bolt in with a little subframe work for those of a wider girth...Wink

You mean fat f*ckers? lol
Thanks given by:
You said it, you big pie eating bastard. Angel
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2013, 05:29 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: You said it, you big pie eating bastard. Angel

I do love pie. Especially with peas. And a pint.
Thanks given by:
I'm not a small bloke Liam (as you know) and 5ft11. I don't find them cramped to be honest, they're small, yeah, and going from a "normal" hatch I suppose they feel it. I did use mine daily for months so maybe I got used to it more. I really like the inside of them, they feel small but purposeful.
Thanks given by:
(13-10-2013, 05:38 PM)Curt Wrote: I'm not a small bloke Liam (as you know) and 5ft11. I don't find them cramped to be honest, they're small, yeah, and going from a "normal" hatch I suppose they feel it. I did use mine daily for months so maybe I got used to it more. I really like the inside of them, they feel small but purposeful.

It feels proper special, a real sports car. Doesn't matter though, I'd be keeping the DT as a daily Smile
Thanks given by:
I thought you were all set on a Mk1 MR2?

You had a chance to drive one of those yet?
Thanks given by:
Driven a couple before and I prefer them but looking at what's about for my budget I'm gonna find it damn hard to find a good one, and if I get a bad MR2 its gonna be far harder to sort out than a bad MX5 Sad
Thanks given by:
I met my Mrs when I had an MX5 MK1 so they'll always hold a soft spot for me, I hope one day to have another one similar to my S-Special II.

They're cramped on the inside I grant you, but that does mean they heat up nice and quick with the roof up during those colder months!

The hardtop is such a welcome addition. It literally transforms the car, cabin noise is reduced and it feels bigger (cos you can make good use of the 'shelf' behind the seats...).

I'm also 5'11 and I have driven all the way to Cornwall in mine (300 miles!) and it was fine. Fully loaded with mine and the Mrs holiday stuff too! Somebody mentioned that it's not 'fast enough' which I think is a bit unfair; these cars are 20 years old now and incredibly basic in their construction. They feel plenty fast enough for the chassis, keeping it 'on boil' down a twisty B-road is exactly what you've asked for, fun, but without losing your license. I agree with Ruan though, they're not a drift machine. An LSD is not there to help you drift either, it's there to give you more grip - and a properly setup MX5 will grip like shit to a blanket.

IMO don't bother with the expensive intake options, the stock airbox is good or a cheap cone for a bit of extra noise. I had an ARC intake chamber (£100+) and HKS Mushroom filter (£80 2nd hand!) and to be honest it soaked up heat and had a detrimental effect on performance! I went driving with "Nick!" from theywhoshallnotbenamed when he had his Mini and after a short thrashing the heat-soak was so much that on returning to the car it didn't want to start. I had to let it cool down.

A/C is useful - even on the hottest day of the year you can get stuck in traffic and it gets very hot quickly, the AC makes life much more comfortable. Or, if you're anything like my Mrs used to be, strip down to your bikini in the passenger seat. This is incredibly distracting.

DON'T fall into the 'scene' trap - the car is good fun and can be improved upon, but slamming it onto the subframe and fitting a drain pipe to the exhaust is not the way to further enjoyment, just the approval of your peers.

Some gratuitous photo's cos I can...

[Image: IMGP0407-2.jpg]

[Image: IMGP0386.jpg]

[Image: 21052011568.jpg]
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
For me, MR2 roadster (mk3) any day of the week. Get a blower on there, fit a PFC and you'll see mid 200's and they are FAST. Plus they handle like go karts.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Theres a lass at work selling hers. She's had it since new so 21 years, it's a 1.6 manual UK MX5 with a hardtop in silver, 100k miles and full dealer history, had a quick look and it looks pretty clean. She's asking her husband what it's worth and getting back to me with a price...
Thanks given by:
Well!!!!
Thanks given by:
wouldnt pay more than £1000 for a mk1 unless it was MINT
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
You won't get a mint mk1 for £1000.
Thanks given by:
I know thats why i said i wouldnt pay more than £1000 unless it was mint... can get a decent one for under a £1000 but not mint
00' 106 Indy - Moonstone - Sold
97' 106 XT 1.6 - Mayerling Green - Swapped
95' 306 P1 DT - Onyx - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Silver - Scrapped
97' 306 P2 DT - Onyx - SORN awaiting scrap
Thanks given by:
I know, mine was £300
Thanks given by:
Her husband told her it's worth £3000 lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…