GUIDE: PS2 Install

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GUIDE: PS2 Install
Okay guys I haven't got round to this for ages to here finally is how I fitted my PS2. I did it on the cheap and had a head unit with brains. This is a general guide as it is different whether your head unit has a brain or not.

Shopping List:
PlayStation 2 £20
PS2 cigarette lighter adapter £15
Flip Screen Head Unit £100 - £350
Heatshrink - £2
Solder - £2
Wires - £4
A second 306 head unit loom. - £1

Total Cost Approx £145

Tools
Torx Set
Soldering Iron
Heat Shrink/Tape
Heat Gun/Lighter
Multimeter

HOW TO INSTALL A PS2

1) Choose a flip screen head unit.

Firstly you need to buy a flip screen head unit or have some other screen. I originally tried to fabricate one into where the CD holder and ash tray is but unfortunately my screen broke before I finished it. I then bought a kenwood flip screen for £120 posted from this forum. This is quite an old one and has the hidden 'brain' which has all of the connectors. The more modern kenwood flip screens are £350 and the crap of the ripspeed variety is often £70. Both have all the connectors in the back of the had unit so will be easier than this guide.

2) Remove the head unit.

I wanted to use my original head unit as it had USB functionality and a nice interface. In reality it would have been easier to buy a decent kenwood flip screen but oh well.

3) Remove the silver dash.

[Image: IMG_20130408_104419_zps5ff9f013.jpg]

You need to remove all of the silver/walnut dash from the centre console. The bottom clock surround pulls off first with no screws. Then you need to remove the clock by undoing the two screws. Then you need to undo the two torx screws located below the heater controls. You should have removed the head unit cage by now and there are two nuts that need to be undone behind the silver centre dash. The main part should now come out easily. The heater vents can be left in.

3B) Install wiring for additional head unit.

[Image: IMG_20130408_131129_zps782f0f59.jpg]

If you are doing a dual head unit install You need to choose one headunit to be linked to the speakers of the car and this needs the original loom. You need to find the loom for the head unit and burn off the coating from the wires. All you need to connect is the live and earth. Do this as far away from the connector as possible so it is easier to relocate one of the head units. Solder on the spare loom. You should now have 2 looms so you can connect two head units in parallel. Make sure you tape up the new connections!

4) Store the PS2.

You need to decide on somewhere to mount your PS2. The brains for my head unit are under the passenger seat so mine sits in the rear footwell. Not convenient at all but its the best place.

5) Power Supply for the PS2.

The PS2 In car adapter comes with a cigarette lighter attachment but we dont want to have that plugged in all the time so we want to wire into the back of the cigarette lighter. Cut the lighter end off the adapter. Make sure its long enough to get to where you have located your PS2. You may need to extend wires etc if it doesn't reach. Some pretty beefy wires here so find the live and the earth and burn off the plastic coating on the wire. Solder the PS2 in car adapter on. Tape up! Run the wires through the hole in the bottom of the dash.

6) Wire the PS2

[Image: image_1365528787736915_zpsf70cdf76.jpg]

Now comes some fun bits. If your going for a super stealthy install then you need to cut a slit in the carpet under your seat and then you can run the wires under the carpet and up into the dash to where your head unit will be. It may be easier to remove the passenger seat and remove the lower centre console plastics (as explained in 8B) to route wires under carpets etc.

[Image: image_1365528769709224_zpsca4325f0.jpg]

On mine it is connected straight to the brains of my head unit. However all the cables for the brain runs under the carpet and up into the dash to the head unit anyway. I have a piece of plastic over the top as the passenger seat caught on the brain when slid forwards and back.

6B) Aux Sound. If you are running a dual head unit setup then you need to get the sound from the monitor to your head unit. I did this by using an aux lead (Red & White to 3.5mm) from the RCA output of the monitor to the AUX input of the main headunit.

7) Refit the Silver/Walnut Dash

See part 3 and reverse. Make sure all of the wires are in the right place. Make sure the dash is pushed in firmly or it will rattle in the future.

8) Fitting the Flip Screen Head Unit

You should now have the wires you need in the right place and it is just a matter of connecting them to the back of the headunit. Connect everything up and fit the head unit.

[Image: image_1365369287876522_zps533d6e64.jpg]

8B) Fitting the additional head unit. Remove the centre console sections. The rear section has two torx bits in the back under the rear window switches/cupboard. Remove the torx bits and the window switches and you should be able to remove the rear section. It is a tight fit over the handbrake so watch out.

Now you need to remove the front section. You need to undo the nuts around the gear stick and remove the two torx screws located under the dash. The front section should now be removed.

What you need to do is take a dremel to the lower center console section and cut out the black CD holder. Use the cage for the head unit as a guide of how much you need to cut out. You will also need to cut out the two vent pipes which direct the air as your head unit probably wont fit with them there.

[Image: IMG_20130408_135020_zps03cc1002.jpg]

Pull down the additional loom you wired on earlier and make sure it reaches where the head unit is going to be. Once you have cut the hole fit your head unit and wire it up before refitting the front lower centre console section.

In the ash tray section I cut a hole to allow my 3.5mm AUX cable to come through. Also acts as storage when its not being used.

[color=#FF0000]9) Playing PS2[/color]

[Image: image_1365528726056172_zps2abad7c2.jpg]
[Image: image_1365528737805192_zpsd677ef66.jpg]

Hopefully it should work! Turn the PS2 on and the red light should turn to green. Turn the cars ignition on and choose the Video input and the PS2 should now be on screen and ready to play.

The End

[Image: image_1365528679281262_zps90fab24b.jpg]

I hope this guide has been of used to people. I appreciate it is long and tricky to understand without pictures but I hope it has given you some help.
Thanks given by: theGAMEisOVER
Wait so... why no ps3? 4?? Nice guide dude. Wish i could install one my bike.. would be tad distracting..
...85cc Petrol 0 Doors... - ...135MPG... - ...£17 Tax...
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2014, 09:28 PM)TallGuySmallBike Wrote: Wait so... why no ps3? 4?? Nice guide dude. Wish i could install one my bike.. would be tad distracting..

Becuase in car power adapters are readily available for the ps2. Also NFS underground 2 is what I wanted in the car now. I've decided jot to use this setup the in the 1.8 so Kenwood flip screen and all the needed during will be for sale st some point.
Thanks given by:
(08-10-2013, 11:06 PM)SRowell Wrote: [Image: IMG_20130408_104419_zps5ff9f013.jpg]

Nice shoes Sam! lmao

:p

[Image: unisex-dunlop-gardiner-garden-clog-welly...5120-p.jpg]

Are they these? lol
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(09-01-2014, 08:01 PM)Grant Wrote:
(08-10-2013, 11:06 PM)SRowell Wrote: [Image: IMG_20130408_104419_zps5ff9f013.jpg]

Nice shoes Sam! lmao

:p

[Image: unisex-dunlop-gardiner-garden-clog-welly...5120-p.jpg]

Are they these? lol

Nopoe. They're muck boots. One of the last before the company stopped selling them in the UK. When you live in a muddy field they're a must!
Thanks given by:
Would this work for a xbox 360 aswell because if I get slim and use a dongle and be able to play online lol
Thanks given by:
(01-02-2014, 11:33 PM)camoturd Wrote: Would this work for a xbox 360 aswell because if I get slim and use a dongle and be able to play online lol

so yeh it would be exactly the same for a 360 however you need a way to power it. The reason i chose a ps2 slim was that there were in car adapters for it as it runs on low voltage. For a 360 you will either have to take it apart to run it on its low voltage or you will have to get an inverter to power it via mains voltage etc.

A gamecube is exactly 12v so that will run without any adapter.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: Dashcam Mirror power supply: USB charger install toseland 1 1,773 26-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Mattcheese31
  Door Card removal / Crossover install 4WayDiablo 34 13,654 28-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Kwik