Dipstick Blowing Out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dipstick Blowing Out
So, finally got everything on the car sorted and went out for a 'spirited' drive earlier and the car felt pretty spot on.

Got back to mine, opened the bonnet and was greeted with oil everywhere. The dipstick had blown out!

Should mention; a catch tank was fitted just before and that it does not have a proper breather on, just some tubing pointing down past the gearbox.

Now as for the cause, could it be something as simple as there not being enough air flow or am I looking at something a bit more chronic? I understand the basic principles of blowby, so that could be one cause.

Just doing a bit of research into it, it appears some people put a spring on the dipstick to keep it down, but is that a proper solution?

Have not really come across this issue on these engines, so any thoughts welcome.
Thanks given by:
fcuk the catch tank off if it's any less diameter than the oem pipes . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
My hdi one used to keep blowing out. Haven't changed anything but it has stopped doing it.
Thanks given by:
High crankcase pressure pointing to headgasket blown. Happened on mine.
The gasket blows and pressurizes the oil way hence probably blowing dipstick and will smoke on idle from the dipstick hole

Could also point to piston rings. The blowing of dipstick is blow by past rings although thats unlikely
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I would be very surprised if its as bad as all that.

You will get whispy smoke from dipstick hole/breather, thats normal...hence breathers and catch tanks

check nothing is blocked or kinked carl
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I suspect it was as simple as the blue clear tubing, that comes in the box with the catch tank (that I fitted as a temporary breather) getting folded flat and blocking the oil breather, hence the dipstick blowing.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I agree it could be blocked breather but mine was the hg. Blew the gasket next to oil right hand oil return on servo side.
Hopefully not this but just saying that happened to mine
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I broke a turbo oil seal by fitting a catch tank and getting a pipe kinked...get rid of it imo!!
Thanks given by:
I'm assuming you've not placed the exit of the catch tank back on the inlet?

They're positive crankcase ventilation engines - i.e. they generally require a bit of a vacuum to get the gasses out - which is why as standard it goes back into the inlet - however, if you put a catch tank on, I'd guess you've simply got the outlet of the catch tank not connected to anything - which causes more restriction to the crankcase - the easiest option especially when running higher boost pressure than standard is to pop up the dipstick since the catch tank is restrictive... Usually the typical toyosport catch tanks you get off ebay have the teenyest little ports on top - when you're ramming 30lbs of boost down the inlet, they do leak past the rings a fair old bit - they're just not designed for (relatively) high boost engines...

Basically unless you positively vent the crankcase, my usual solution is a pipe pointing straight down over the back of the engine the world is your catch tank!

Just make sure ALSO - the check valve (black plastic round UFO thing) is the right way round, seen that one before where it's the wrong way round and is blocking the shit out the inlet.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
while on topic...my catch tank breather is causing an issue with my clean gearbox...ie the gearbox isnt very clean any more. its breathes out oil a lot....

pipes are clear/unkinked and the catch tank isnt even 10% full.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Ruan, I had that exact breather setup, straight over the back of the gearbox, for thousands of miles and the only time I ever had a problem was when I tried to put a filter on the pipe!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
As above the standard pipes are a pretty huge diameter for a breather (think its about 25mm) so you want to make sure your running at least that diameter.
Exiting under the car is illegal and an MOT fail IIRC but the air flow under the car can help creating a vacuum to suck the gasses out
Thanks given by:
My dipstick seems to be staying put and I got a catch tank with a filter. I'm not running as much boost as Carl though.
Thanks given by:
Well the good news is it hasn't blown out today with the clear blue tubing removed.

You might have been on to something with the diameter though dum dum. I couldn't find the correct diameter in yellow so had to drop a few mm. DT one is 19mm, Jonny said the HDi might be that diameter though.

(24-09-2013, 12:31 PM)Frosty Wrote: I'm not running as much boost as Carl though.

Get it sorted then lol
Thanks given by:
Can't believe no-one suggested trying gaffa tape! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2013, 07:51 PM)c.gerrard Wrote: Well the good news is it hasn't blown out today with the clear blue tubing removed.

You might have been on to something with the diameter though dum dum. I couldn't find the correct diameter in yellow so had to drop a few mm. DT one is 19mm, Jonny said the HDi might be that diameter though.

(24-09-2013, 12:31 PM)Frosty Wrote: I'm not running as much boost as Carl though.

Get it sorted then lol

i think you'll find that was me who said that first . . .Wink . .jus saying lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Might have come across wrong then!

I've still got the catch tank. I had some yellow tubing from the breather to the catch tank and then some clear blue tubing coming off the catch tank down past the gearbox.

For now, I'll assume that the clear blue tubing was causing the issue Smile
Thanks given by:
mines doing this at the minute Angry

[Image: 20130925_163914_zpsa453c276.jpg]

not sure why!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Got the hoses connected the right way round? Plenty of stuffing?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
yup, yup. :/
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Guessed you probably had, but i always start with the silly things. Big Grin

Maybe it's just too small for xud-spec blowby..? Only other thing i can think of is using a bit of ducting to help cool it, or maybe a copper heatsink pipe above the inlet, ie so the oil has condensed before the gases try to exit the vicinity.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mine has excessive blow by, but I cant remember what it was like before I took it apart. What is a normal amount for an XUD?
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
Thanks given by: dt_
The connectors on those toyosport catch tanks are too small for a XUD/DW motor, the ID of the joiners (even the larger one) is something stupid like 10mm. That will be your problem.

Im not sure if theres pics anywhere of the tank that I butchered to fit 25mm pipes
Thanks given by:
think I found the problem...I opened it up to see what inside was like....see if that could shed any light on things...

[Image: 20130930_183401_zps55a1ab94.jpg]

lol
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
STOP SPAMMING MY (YES MY!!!!!) THREAD WITH YOUR PROBLEMS

Tongue
Thanks given by:
your problem is fixed, no?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The dipstick hasn't blown out since I removed the clear blue tubing. It puffs out quite a bit of smoke at idle though.
Thanks given by:
what colour smoke? where again does it puff out!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

That is how it is set up.

A rainbow came out of it Smile

I believe it was white.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help wanted (xud dipstick size) Choppin 2 889 26-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Choppin
  Dipstick Location Aaron35 17 5,693 14-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Tom