keniiboii GTI6 Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
keniiboii GTI6 Project
This used to be my project (Chris_90) now Kent aka keniiboii now owns it Smile

So as a few of you might no i bought a gti6 when i bought it i was told the cambelt had snapped, thought it would make a nice project so just needed a way to get it home didn't have any one with a car to help at the time an needed it moving asap before she scrapped it, so the mighty 1.5d came in to play lol

[Image: DSC_0324_zps87676f4e.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0325_zps996ec332.jpg]

The 106 did extremely well to pull it had a decent sized hill to pull it up managed to maintain a constant speed of 25mph all way up i never expected that if some one had stopped in front of me that would have been a different story.

Anyway on with the gti6 it was in need of a wash so
[Image: DSC_0327_zpsf950d9bc.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0331_zps727f848b.jpg]

Then the next day i polished and waxed it Smile
[Image: DSC_0335_zpsa9f7d176.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0337_zps55edccd8.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0329_zps92c1961f.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0343_zps6621fc7d.jpg]

It comes up quite nice but it hadn't been washed for a long time so i think it needs a alot more polishing.

Anyway on with the fixing
My main mecanic had ago first but after pokeing every thing in the engine bay was no luck Sad
[Image: DSC_0334_zpsce6263a7.jpg]

Then i cracked on Wink
[Image: DSC_0339_zpse2058400.jpg]
[Image: DSC_0341_zps38bbeaf6.jpg]

So i found out the cambelt hadn't snapped, so i went to check the timing and the front cam was out by about 80-90 degrees so didn't look good still thought i would time it back up and see what happened, and not much happened just stopped tapping lol so started to strip it got inlet off on first inspection the valves looked ok. So left it for then deiced to go back next day looked at it agin got touch out and can see the valves are bent Sad

So were im at now is i need to get the exhaust manifold off and the rear cam cover (screws rounded off Angry ) so thats gonna be fun once there off the head is ready to come off.

This is a steep learning curve for me as never done a cambelt before so stripping an engine is something i never dreamed of but ive got nothing to lose and if i pull it off i will have a gti6 at the end of it, if i dont pull it off not the end of the world.

Any way comments welcome Smile

Thanks given by:
just find a decent head I would say.

when valves bend they can damage the valve guides in my experience. and thats expensive
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I have a non tapping head dude if you want one? Please please get rid of that rear splitter
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
New head, new gaskets and belts, bolt it all back together and you have a '6.

Days work :-)

(09-09-2013, 09:48 AM)sam Wrote: I have a non tapping head dude if you want one? Please please get rid of that rear splitter

Yeah, this. Worst rear end of the year award
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 08:49 AM)Piggy Wrote: just find a decent head I would say.

when valves bend they can damage the valve guides in my experience. and thats expensive

oh i will see the damage once the head is off and go from there.

(09-09-2013, 09:48 AM)sam Wrote: I have a non tapping head dude if you want one? Please please get rid of that rear splitter

Depending on price i may be interested drop me a pm why dont you put it on your tapper tho?

(09-09-2013, 09:50 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: New head, new gaskets and belts, bolt it all back together and you have a '6.

Days work :-)

Yeah, this. Worst rear end of the year award

lmao the splitter is almost off took the grinder to it but grinder deiced to explode so need to get another one when i got some money, also lights will be gone as soon as the new ones come Smile then the reflectors can go to lol

Thanks given by:
It cleaned up well mate . Defo stick a full head on rather than replacing valves and guides and that stuff to much effort with out the right tools. If you ever need a hand with anything I'm always willing to pop over if I'm about mate.
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 11:40 AM)ash23 Wrote: It cleaned up well mate . Defo stick a full head on rather than replacing valves and guides and that stuff to much effort with out the right tools. If you ever need a hand with anything I'm always willing to pop over if I'm about mate.

Yer might do mate but problem is dont like the idea of putting a head on that i not seen working, but will come to that when i get that far, and thanks mate will let you no if i need a hand will let you no trying to do the stuff my self tho so a learn more that way Smile

Thanks given by:
Because me and a mate are building a new engine for mine dude and cba to fit it haha
[Image: fe6eddc8-1731-4100-a5fe-1edb853a88b6_zpseeacf928.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 01:38 PM)sam Wrote: Because me and a mate are building a new engine for mine dude and cba to fit it haha

Ok well I am interested but money is tight at min if you still got it when I've got some money I will probably have it

Thanks given by:
once you have this up and running, are you going use it as a second car?
Thanks given by:
(09-09-2013, 08:52 PM)procta Wrote: once you have this up and running, are you going use it as a second car?

No idea tbh I would like to keep it as a second car, but it depends on my money situation, if I can afford insurance etc. Time will tell Smile

Thanks given by:
Hey, some of you on facebook would of seen I've bought this from chris.
I dont really do much work to engines my self im very noobish to them. Most of the work done to my cars is done by my dad. But this is going to be most me so I can learn from it, with alot of his help.
Car will be sat in a garage all winter where the work is going to be done. In the garage I have access to electric and a pit to make life easy.

Not much has happened to it yet as I wanted to get the head of to inspect the damage. This way I can make plans and set a budget.

The valves are well and truly bent, some are catching on the head they're that bent. They have left scores on the pistons to be expected, but as far as we can tell threes no major damage!

Pistons starting from cam belt.

Plans for the car is get engine out and give it a full rebuild, think it will defferntly get head polished and ported. Engine bay will get fresh coat of paint, under car will get undercoated. So far is going to stay pretty much oem.

Few pics of car on drive

Body work is in pretty good condition only few things need sorting.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
cool there are marks on all 4 cylinders on the inlet side,
can we get some pictures of the damage to the head?

looks like both of us are doing the same things as in refreshing the engine Wink

measure the head to see if its been skimmed and is within tollerance or you will have an expensive machining job recutting the valve seats further back into the head Wink
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2013, 04:05 PM)cully Wrote: cool there are marks on all 4 cylinders on the inlet side,
can we get some pictures of the damage to the head?

looks like both of us are doing the same things as in refreshing the engine Wink

measure the head to see if its been skimmed and is within tollerance or you will have an expensive machining job recutting the valve seats further back into the head Wink

Yeah on all 4 dont know why I said 2. I was looking at the pictures trying to think why I said 2. Yeah ill sort pictures of the head no problem, my dad says looking at the head there should be enough room to skim it but will getbit measured.
I also have a spare head which came with the car, chris bought it but isnt 100% sure its good so orignal will get rebuilt.

Well orignally I was selling the hdi to buy one. But with this one I can take my time over winter fixing it, so while ive got head of it will be rude not to take engine out and rebuild the lot. That way I know it will be a nice built engine that should in theory last longer than one if I had spent £1500 on a gti6 (if you catch my drift).
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
2 things i would check before commiting money to this car engine to go into the shell

1 car shell for rust (rear N/s arch and front chasis legs to under body)
2 history of rear beam change referb

both of which could sway you to another shell as depending on how you tackle both depends on cost Wink
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2013, 04:55 PM)cully Wrote: 2 things i would check before commiting money to this car engine to go into the shell

1 car shell for rust (rear N/s arch and front chasis legs to under body)
2 history of rear beam change referb

both of which could sway you to another shell as depending on how you tackle both depends on cost Wink

Yes cheers for the reminder. Rear beam has been considered and is being budgeted incase, but will get done at some point anyway.
As for rust I know underneath someones jacked it up in wrong place so needs plate welding. Also top engine mount needs welding.
Theres few things with the body im going to sort while my dads on holiday next week so the rear arch is one of them. But luckily my dad was a welder so not too much a problem.
But thanks cully! Your thread on your spare engine has been read by me and my dad and will be keeping close eye. :-)

Ill brave the cold and get pictures of the head for you.

Heres pictures of the head.

You can tell a couple of the valves are catching the head.

Same but from opposite angle.

#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
yeah they be mashed

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
lol when you get those inlet valves out that head they are going to look bent as a dogs hind leg
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2013, 06:28 PM)cully Wrote: lol when you get those inlet valves out that head they are going to look bent as a dogs hind leg

Yeah im guessing they will. Undecided hopefully not too much damage to the valve seating. I think the head wont be stripped till I got car in garage as I have more room in there with big work bench.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2013, 07:30 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(10-10-2013, 06:28 PM)cully Wrote: lol when you get those inlet valves out that head they are going to look bent as a dogs hind leg

Yeah im guessing they will. Undecided hopefully not too much damage to the valve seating. I think the head wont be stripped till I got car in garage as I have more room in there with big work bench.

Are you not gonna use the "good" head? Best if you rebuild that one I think as least it looks like it's ok and no bent valves.

Thanks given by:
I think im gonna rebuild the orignal head tbh. Keep everything orignal :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2013, 09:07 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: I think im gonna rebuild the orignal head tbh. Keep everything orignal :-)

think i would hold off that decision untill youve stripped and inspected the bent head

im still going to get my head pressure tested even though it came off a known engine
Thanks given by:
Also worth noting that I didn't undo the head bolts in the correct sequence as my plan was to use the other head, so because I didn't do them in the right sequence the head could possibly be warped. Just a heads up

Thanks given by:
Wow, that looks a bit broken. Gonna follow this thread with interest, i'm quite a noob when it comes to the engine rebuild side of things as well, so will be nice to see this documented by someone of my knowledge level. Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-10-2013, 09:48 PM)cully Wrote:
(10-10-2013, 09:07 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: I think im gonna rebuild the orignal head tbh. Keep everything orignal :-)

think i would hold off that decision untill youve stripped and inspected the bent head

im still going to get my head pressure tested even though it came off a known engine

Yeah quite possibly. As you say we aint going to know anything till the orignal head is stripped. As damage could be worse.

(10-10-2013, 10:03 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Also worth noting that I didn't undo the head bolts in the correct sequence as my plan was to use the other head, so because I didn't do them in the right sequence the head could possibly be warped. Just a heads up

yeah everything will be skimmed and pressure tested before going back together. Thanks for heads up.

(10-10-2013, 10:05 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Wow, that looks a bit broken. Gonna follow this thread with interest, i'm quite a noob when it comes to the engine rebuild side of things as well, so will be nice to see this documented by someone of my knowledge level. Big Grin

Yeah its something ive wanted to do for a long time. I have very basic knowledge tbh. I know what I want and I know how to fix some things. But I dont trust or have the confidence in my self so theres a lot of things I dont touch with my own car as its my daily and rely on it. So this one I can take my time and not need it done asap.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moonstone GTi6 Track-Lite Project reese 28 14,636 29-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Last Post: reese
  Project OEM Phase 3 GTi6 - Moonstone aircool 2 1,993 14-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Last Post: aircool
  Foobys PH2 Diablo GTi6 Project Fooby 112 39,991 08-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191