Canceling insurance policy after a claim against you?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canceling insurance policy after a claim against you?
I'm wanting to change my insurance policy after Christmas because I'm f*cking sick of this black box, penalising me for the stupidest things and being generally unconsistent. For example I can drive loads after 11 on a weekend and get 4/5 for late night driving, then I can get home at 11.15 on a night and it gives me like 0.5 :S

Question is though, can I cancel it even though I'm still in the middle of a claim? Only for their car, and they've told me no further actions needed from me so I've no idea if its been settled or not. Isn't there a 'cooling off period' as well?

My mate had a 106 that he managed to barrel roll and his insurance said he wouldn't get the remainder of his premium back because the water company who's wall he hit wanted to claim for it repairing, he said that it was unfair because if he had paid monthly then he could have just stopped paying when he notified them/cancelled his policy. They told him that it wasn't that simple and would have been made to pay the remainder of his premium if that had been the case?

Assuming it does get settled before Christmas, would they chase me up for the rest of the money or could I just cancel my policy and call it done? Not bothered about my ncb because thats obviously gone down the sh*tter!

Just don't want them coming and taking my tv aha!

Cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
Depends who it is mate, admiral elephant diamond ect if you pay monthly you sign into a contract where by the full premium must be paid before you can cancel

well not entirely true you can cancel it but they still want the rest of the premium off you! So you may as well ride it out then find someone else just as I doing Smile
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Phone them and ask them I guess. Different companies may have different policies
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Your best bet is calling them and asking both for the status of the claim and also what the cancellation policy is Smile
Thanks given by:
Cheers lads I'll give them a call in the morning! Smile Only sure fire way to find out I suppose

In fact, if I were to buy an XUD later in the year as I did have plans for, then I'd have to cancel my policy anyway as the black box devices can't be fitted to purely mechanical cars...

Entirely theoretical, but if I sold my car then they couldn't expect me to keep paying for one that I don't even drive

Also they charge £90 to have an 'engineer' come and take the monitoring box out, lol they can think again if they think I'd pay that, do it myself with a pair of scissors.

Half the time I wish I still had my Astravan and never bothered with a 306, cheaper insurance and drove it how I liked! But then I get on some country back roads in the pug and somehow it seems worth it :p
Thanks given by:
No you cant. I went through something very similar this year. Someone drove into my parked car and the insurer (admiral) Messed up and came to the conclusion it was my fault. When i phoned to cancel, i would of lost that years NCB, had to pay about £150 (had 5 months of the policy left) but then they said because i was at fault, i would have to pay the cost of the claim which came in at £1200.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(21-08-2013, 07:38 PM)Niall Wrote: No you cant. I went through something very similar this year. Someone drove into my parked car and the insurer (admiral) Messed up and came to the conclusion it was my fault. When i phoned to cancel, i would of lost that years NCB, had to pay about £150 (had 5 months of the policy left) but then they said because i was at fault, i would have to pay the cost of the claim which came in at £1200.

Ahh dear :/ Unfortunately for me my premium was £2154, and the car was an E class Merc so just taking it on the chin and finishing the policy looks like the best bet :/

That's bad about them deciding it was your fault! Would have argued the toss out of it but I suppose they can do what they want without any regard to their customers
Thanks given by:
I did argue it. I said how the f*ck could i be at fault when i was in bed asleep and the car was parked. The woman said err yeah that is odd. After an investigation, they found out they put me at fault and the other guy not despite him openly admitting it so they had to swap it around lol. Useless wankers!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Merry Xmas! Thankyou ppi claim!! j-n-88 6 1,156 25-12-2014, 05:03 AM
Last Post: j-n-88
  Anyone else agree this is a fairly sensible policy? Razorback_Rob 45 6,246 04-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Last Post: Daniel306
Question Advice on whiplash/injury claim . . . . Mattcheese31 9 2,422 07-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Last Post: r3k1355