Anyone owned a ph2 clio 172

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone owned a ph2 clio 172
I'm basically in the process of swapping my st for a Clio 172 just wondered if anyone has owned one and can tell me what they are like ?
Thanks given by:
My bro in law had one, very thirsty, broke a lot, very quick.
Thanks given by:
I'm not to fussed on fuel
Etc a itl be a second car only gets driven once or twice a week :-) anything I should look out for ?
Thanks given by:
My mates got one had 106 rallyes gti6s few diesels he loves it ill ask if there are any common problems
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
They kill gearboxes at an excessive rate
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Its just like haveing a 306.... Thay brake down.... Alot.

#stupidfrenchcar
when in doubt...... flat out.
Thanks given by:
Bloody great to drive with an awesome engine, revvy but torquey, but even worse build quality and reliability than a 306.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
A mate had afew, loves them. Had about the same pace as my old GTi6 when we played, sounded awesome with a K tec exhaust system! Rubbish interior though..but then Peugeot are hardly a shining example of build quality.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
The one I'm looking at has 408 ktec cams I think they are called it has induction system and a stealth k tec exhaust system on ap cpilovers I think and has been mapped I'm having a proper look next week :-) and its been resprayed white :-) with orange turinis lol I'm Bored of my st and the gearbox is made of chocolate and that it's been an issue since new and now it's munched second and reverse I just want something different :-) as far as I've seen it's Been well looked after history is mostly ktec and the rest is Renault belts etc have been changed when they needed to be and serviced every 12k I think I'm getting a fairly good deal with the swap :-) little bit excited to get it :-)
Thanks given by:
I've owned a 182 Cup from new. People slag the build quality, but in truth, after 74k of hard miles and 7 years of track days, all it has needed has been 2 new rear dampers at £50 a side. The engines are bomb proof and will take any amount of abuse. Gearboxes are a weak point, but don't change gear like a twonk and it should be fine. Exhausts are made of cheese but most will have been replaced with aftermarket by now. If I were buying one now I don't know if I'd go for a standard 172. The 172 Cup has 78Kg weight reduction, lower stiffer suspension, wider track and a faster rack. Either that or a 182 with cup packs. Mind the accessory belt needs done every 36k something most overlook, if it fails it takes the cam belt with it. It's a bit of a fiddle to change and can be expensive if done by a garage. Beware of modified cars claiming big power, the engines are hard to squeeze more power from. It takes considerable amounts of money to get 200bhp, a remap and an air filter will do next to nothing.
Thanks given by:
I wouldn't bovver ive replaced in the last 6 months a gear box and clutch, starter motor both rear wheel bearing, brakes and pads. There just not worth the insurance and time tbh
Thanks given by:
Yeah the one I was looki g t turned out to be a major let down :-( back to plan A

Golf g60 XD
Thanks given by:
I had the rsi 16v and loved it. And f*ck me they are fast. BUT in 1 year if ownership it had 2 cluches, breaks all round, alternator and rear wheel bareings.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Even with all the problems, I'd still own one. Or preferably a 182, with a pops and bangs map Inlove
Thanks given by:
I've got a soft spot for the phase 1's myself
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
cant believe you are even considering swapping a Fiesta ST for Clio 172.
with a different TB from a 2.3, air filter and different elbow just after the manifold, you see 175bhp immediately on the ST...without a remap.
and you wont be driving round in a girls car which has weekly PMT and breaks a lot
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The throttle bldg aline is 200 odd abd scrappies have cottoned in down here they know its a good mod :-( i just havent got the enthusiasn for it os i hate the st it's so twitchy at speed boring too high expensive to run just want something different that's not so new and not so boring so like I say it'll be back to old skool for a second car :-) unless I have a change of heart :-)
Thanks given by:
205 GTI.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
get some decent eibach springs and tyres, the wrong tyres ruin a ST.
the best small hothatch. fact. And I love pugs.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2013, 08:07 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: 205 GTI.

Was looking at 309 good wood :-P but probs guna be a mk1 or mk2 golf :-D
Thanks given by:
No and never plan on doing so either lol.

For the build qualities of French cars here is a list for worse to best.

Shitreon, Renault then Peugeot being the best quality overall. Peugeot built their first car back in 1887, it was a three wheeled steam powered car.

Its defo a girls car !

Just get a "well done" 205 GTI 16 which is far more fun and will beat the clio 180 hands down. A 205 gti 16 ie 167bhp with a weight of 880 makes it 190 bhp per ton. This using the ratio of 1000 / by weight of car then x the power figure, there is the power per ton figure.

Oh and the price of a mk1 golf to the 205 is big, 205 = most fun with the least amount of money spent.
Thanks given by:
Are you talking about a 205 GTi with a '6 engine? If so they're not exactly comparable are they? One being standard and one being very not so...

I don't think anyone buys a French car for the build quality.

OP, if it were my money it'd be going on a mk2 Smile.
Thanks given by:
Never said anything about comparing, im talking about costs and what you get out of what you spend.

MK 1 Golfs are generally rot boxes, min spend is 2k but concourse is 7k. Conversions can be done but again most are nowhere near the power a 205 can be made, parts are easy and cheap to buy too for them. These Golfs do seem to suffer with quite a lot of problems, ie 2nd gear, rot, engines over 100k etc.

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=c...misc&id=54

Even the 16 valve engines are low powered. 160bhp it says in link.

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=c...misc&id=26

205 gti's are increasing in value every year, its a sound investment, especially a good ph1. You can pick one up for 1500 quid with a gti6 and 5 speed gbox. Also so many citreon and Peugeot parts are so interchangeable too which helps lots.

Golfs may have started the Hot Hatch craze, the 205 gti perfected it lol.
Thanks given by:
Have seen a vw golf g60 fire and ice so am going with that when I can afford one :-P

Had a g60 rallye b4 and IMO 4wd 160bhp supercharged it was immense and to me more fun than a 205 my old Leon cupra smashed my mates itb'd mi16 handling they are fantastic soon as you hit a straight in anything boosted they seem to be lagging behind plus golf ate so much more win when just going for a twat lap and crushing around :-P sped big its a fire and Ice edition !!!! But a 205 maybe onthe cards if this golf sells lol if not mag part ex the st for something comfy and powerful like a passant w8 always loved them !!! :-D
Thanks given by:
Yeah it all depends how well they are set up, for me 205's are the nimblest car out there like the 106, so much lighter. power to weight ratio is immense especially a turbo one. Although im not a turbo fan at all, anyone can bolt in a turbo, it takes brains and cash to build a 300bhp NA car being a 4 pot engine.

Track cars tend to be more the 205 now and there is a reason for that. Any turbo car will beat a NA car but won't be as sharp in the corners if turbo lag gets in the way.

Can't really easily compare cars anymore, so many get uprated these days, its all about what you like at the end of the day, what cars handling suits you best and which will be the easiest and cheapest to fix if needs be etc, also what holds its value most.

BTW i've seen many a 205 win time trials etc, inc 306 and 106 cars etc. You can't compare a 205 mi16 with the Leon, the 205 might have old suspension etc and the Leon could have loads uprated. When the 205 is set up very well it can't be beaten in the corners with its nimbleness etc, its like a go kart on rails. If you do decide to get a 205 GTI be quick, their value is increasing every year, bad ones are becoming hard to find now so many people are doing them up these days.
Thanks given by:
there is a serious revival of the 205.

will jump on the band wagon this winter/spring I feel...miss a track one me and mate built and never used Sad
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
If I do decide on a 205 itl have to be something special :-) I'm looking at spending a good 5k on the next toy but HAS to be something old and retro that will not depreciate lol that why I'm more edging towards the rare golfs as they are by far rarer than the 205 and one if the best handling cars ( IMO ) of all time itl probably be and mi16 driven a 1.6 gti too slow 1.9 are ok but they should all have been the 'mi16 :-)
Thanks given by:
205's will only go up in value now! One I spotted on Retro rides recently..

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/1...ooks-notts

Spend the change on making it minter/faster Wink Or hookers and drugs.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Agreed they are increasing in value every year, it will only get better from now on as long asnyou have a good one, even old bad ones have also I creased their values. Peugeot have just about ran out of 205 parts jow and the 306 wont be too far behind now too. This also increases their value.

Yeah they should have brought out a special mi16 version and would be the most sort after if they did.

I think all these old retro classics are increasing in value, just some more than others and dont forget, the 205 is an icon legend too.

Also if you do, try and go for the non sunny version, it won't have rust issues on the floorpan some get and troublesome sunroof breakages, 205's look better without them imo.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clio 182 to GTi6 hotrodjacko 19 3,415 22-11-2016, 05:48 PM
Last Post: hotrodjacko
  How many 306's do you own or have you owned? Redordead89 51 6,930 06-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Silky
  Worse car ever owned Hitchos 44 7,059 25-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset