Wheel bolts working loose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel bolts working loose?
Had some OZ SuperTs bored out by 1.8mm to fit the 306 centre bore (was ford before), and some tapered bolts in M12x1.25

Three wheels are secure and tight as ever, but the front passenger side has a tendency to work itself loose and cause the wheel to wobble quite frighteningly and cause knocking.

Anyone know what can cause this?
Thanks given by:
You say as tight as ever, are you torquing them to 80Nm or just doing them up as tight as possible? Also, are they pug bolts?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
It's a possibility it could be due to the centre bore being ever so slightly too big. Does it fit snugly on there?
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
If 3 bolts are tight the wheel shouldn't wobble there is something else wrong

Sorry read that wrong!

What are the threads like on your bolts? I had two bolts with stripped threads before from someone over tightening them which caused the other two to become loose
Thanks given by:
could be a stripped hub thread
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Check the alloy wheel tapered holes for wear too
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It could be a worn out ball joint, the torque setting for these cars is 65 lbf, check your top mounts bolts too as they can come loose if its the ball joint being knackered. Also give the threads a careful tap as dirt inside them can make bolts comes loose, also if wheels are powder coated check where they meet the hub, they crack and peel causing a gap between the wheel and hub. Always remove powder coating where it meets the hub on all powder coated wheels.
Thanks given by:
I've not actually used a torque wrench with a setting on it but ill get hold of one and try again

We took the wheel off and put it back on to make sure it was on squarely, then tightened them as hard as they would go without taking the piss and making them too hard to remove in future

It's stayed on fine since, though the wheel bolts can be tightened after driving it spiritedly, but not by much.

When I get home ill check the threads for wear, although could it still be the hub even if it held my clones fine for months before?

cheers
Thanks given by:
Get a caliper and test the diameter of the bored out ole you had done and cross reference it with other alloys etc.

Check your ball joint for play, just to rule that one out.
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2013, 10:21 PM)Bender Wrote: Get a caliper and test the diameter of the bored out ole you had done and cross reference it with other alloys etc.

Check your ball joint for play, just to rule that one out.

It's started knocking like crazy from that front corner, pretty much confirms it as a ball joint? :/
Thanks given by:
Not too bad then, it happened on mine but my wheel came off and damaged the wing, car felt fine before it happened as well :#
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alloy Wheel Bolts rdstars 2 1,344 16-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Last Post: rdstars
  Wheel bolts PugRory 11 2,679 09-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Last Post: PugRory
  c5 steel/alloy wheel bolts Poodle 8 2,629 20-04-2015, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Poodle