Knock when pulling away and under load

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knock when pulling away and under load
The car is a 2001 Hdi, i have just noticed a knock when pulling away, it doesn't happen all the time just if you pull away quite hard, if you are nice and gentle then it doesn't happen. The noise seems to be from the drivers side area. Had a quick look round this morning at all the suspension and can't see anything wrong had a look at the lower engine mount, seems ok there is a little movement but all the rubber looks intact and not split or perished, so looked at the top mount and it looks ok but it seems to have a fair bit of movement in it and makes a bit of a noise when you move it, have put a short video up and this was just me grabbing the plastic engine cover and rocking the engine back and forth. So what do you fellas think ?
I just hope it is the mount ( as i have a new one already to go on ) and not the captive nut underneath broken away.

Cheers Titch

[Image: th_VIDEO0012_zpse9e9ce0f.jpg]
Thanks given by:
If your getting movement and noise from the mount, and youve got another then just get it on there. See if it solves it.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Could also be loose bolt on the suspension. Check all bolting as it's free and easy to do so.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
take the top mount out to see if the chassis mount is cracked in the base
Thanks given by:
I have the same thing....I'm expected a cracked base when i do my cambelt next week Sad
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ive got very similar problems and when i removed my top mount it revealed something pretty dyer...........

Thanks given by:
Looks like you need a trip to daveyboy on GTi6! Failing that, order the replacement engine mount cup from him if he still offers that and get it welded in by a local garage.
Thanks given by:
Hope I don't find that! Lol. How do you remove the top mount to check?
[Image: 20gh7o0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I am going to have a look tomorrow, and i have got a horrible feeling that is what i am going to find, i hope i don't.
Thanks given by:
You use a flat screwdriver and a hammer to rotate the actual mount anti clockwise when you've removed the steelwork.
Thanks given by:
could just be lower arm bushes!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
All the lower arm bushes and most of the front suspension are new ( powerflex) so check tightened all those and they were all good, this is what i found This morning.

Well got up nice and early and thought i would have a look at the engine mount as the noise it was making that i have shown in the video just didn't seem right , so got the car sorted jacked the engine and started to remove the mount, i wasn't looking forward to it as i was expecting to see the mount cup or captive nut broken or cracked like reckord BUT !!

Got the mount out and this is what i found :

[Image: IMAG0763_zps39e549e9.jpg]

And on the car side this is what i was left with the bottom stud and a bit of the mount was stuck in the captive nut still:
So gave it a good soaking in WD40 and went for a brew which the Mrs had kindly made, came back to it after about 15 mins, and after 20 or so mins tapping it round with a screwdriver and then mole grips it came out.

[Image: IMAG0762_zpsbec387cc.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0764_zps2515314b.jpg]

And much to my surprise the mounting cup/ captive nut in the car was fine a little dirty and it was starting to show signs of corrosion but was intact.

[Image: IMAG0765_zps4bcbace6.jpg]

So gave it a good clean up with a wire brush, and a nice coat of hammerite and then fitted the new mount, took it for a spin and all was good no more knocking and nice smooth gear changes.

So if anyone has the same sort of noise might be worth a look.

Cheers Titch
Thanks given by:
Good find. Interesting to see it disintegrate like that.
Thanks given by:
Think i am going to change the other mounts in the next week or so, as if the top one was moving around that much it can't of done the other mounts any good.

Looking at the powerflex lower one for diesels anyone used one of those?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-Peug...2a2c75b867
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 03:09 PM)titch Wrote: Think i am going to change the other mounts in the next week or so, as if the top one was moving around that much it can't of done the other mounts any good.

Looking at the powerflex lower one for diesels anyone used one of those?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-Peug...2a2c75b867

I've used the 'red' mount on an XUD, can tell a little difference when at idle but not much. Would of said a HDi would be smoother at idle? Cruising is absolutely fine.
Thanks given by:
Nice one cheers, ordered one yesterday so hopefully fit it at the weekend if it arrives in time.
Thanks given by:
Iv got a sort of the same noise on my 1.4 ill av to check my top mounts i cheers bud.
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
Word of advice fit a genuine Pug mount if you change it as:

After i fitted my new cheap motor factor part i had a thud noise and a rattle when going around a long sweeping bend and it turned out to be the new cheap mount i fitted ( £15 ), and in all honesty it wasn't up to the job, when i lowered the engine back off the jack on to the new mount, i noticed it compressed quite a bit, and you could see a big crease in the rubber.
And after a few test drives and a quick look round you could see that it had compressed that much that the bracket that bolts to the engine and then to the mount was almost touching the mount so the thud i was hearing was that bracket banging on the new mount, and when going round a corner the engine was moving and that bracket was rattling on the mount, it was touching and you could see where it had been hitting as it had worn some of the rubber away, right at the bit you hit with a screw driver to do up or undo the mount. Was fitted for 1 day.

So whipped the mount out and fitted a genuine Pug one Pat no: 1827 23 ( £52.99 all in )and all is now good no more noise. There is a massive difference in the size of the gap between the mount and the bracket with the genuine pug one fitted it is quite a bit bigger. Should of just fitted a genuine one from the start. Buy cheap buy twice.

So returned the other mount to the local motor factor told them it was a piece of s@*t and after a bit of arguing and a few choice words with the manager that looked about 12, i got my money back.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for updating, couldn't agree more. As said countless times before: when it comes to perishable items like mounts, bushes, etc, 90% of cheap motor factor / pattern parts are not up to the job, don't waste your time.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm having trouble pulling off. steve1001 13 4,180 29-01-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: pug306driver
  HDI top end knock near HP pump pugbug 12 2,145 20-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Knocking and stalling feeling pulling away.. C.A.R. 5 1,588 16-03-2014, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Jtrigga