Clutch change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch change
My clutch is on its last legs now, slips like a bitch quite a lot of the time. Problem is, I can't afford to get it done at a garage. How easy/hard is it to change a clutch on these on a driveway? Baring in mind I only have a pretty basic knowledge of mechanics, is it something I should attempt in my own? Or should I beg/borrow/steal the money to get it done at a garage?

Cheers guys/girls. Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Clutch change meet? My gearbox needs changing anyway.

I don't know how to do it, but I hear there are some really good videos on YouTube, made by a Cornish farmer with the craving for epic diesel boost....

That's iirc
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
There easy enough mate I've done loads had my box and clutch on the floor on half a hour that's including getting it in the air. Harder to put it back on got to like the fork onto the bearing definatley easier with a extra pair of hands
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Steve, if me and rowell can do it, anyone can! Big Grin

Definitely get someone to help with the lifting and positioning though.
Thanks given by:
Yup it is a pain to get back on, so some good advise to have a second pair of hands Smile Just make sure the clutch and fly wheel are spot on in line with each other, or it will never go back on lol. They are like 30 to 40kg so you don't wont to be wobbling it around for to long ;0
Thanks given by:
Beware of drive shafts. I had trouble with mine, nothing an angle grinder couldn't sort* though.

*destroy
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Ahh yea driveshafts can be a pain the centre bearing seizes in the lower engine mount, nothing a flat screwdriver and a hammer won't solve
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
theres not really anything tricky about a clutch change, only the fork on the xuds...
its just a case of time and access.
spend time clearing crap around the box and make life easy for yourself
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2013, 09:37 PM)Matt Wrote: Clutch change meet? My gearbox needs changing anyway.

I don't know how to do it, but I hear there are some really good videos on YouTube, made by a Cornish farmer with the craving for epic diesel boost....

That's iirc

Good shout, i completely forgot Darren had done a clutch guide as well! Doh Might be up for the gearbox/clutch meet actually...would you come over to the mainland though, or would we come to you? Only asking as my missus has family on IOW, might be able to arrange a weekend over there... Wink

(07-08-2013, 10:50 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Steve, if me and rowell can do it, anyone can! Big Grin

Definitely get someone to help with the lifting and positioning though.

Another good shout, and i've got my brother and a mate i met on .net not far from me, so extra hands shouldn't be a problem. Big Grin

(08-08-2013, 02:25 AM)Danny2009 Wrote: Ahh yea driveshafts can be a pain the centre bearing seizes in the lower engine mount, nothing a flat screwdriver and a hammer won't solve

Well we have a wide range of screwdrivers and pry bars at our disposal, as well as various sizes of "weighted adjustment tools". lol I reckon we'd manage!

Cheers for all the other advice guys, gonna go watch Darrens video's now, get some idea of what we're looking at. Big Grin
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Me and HDIKYLE did mine on a driveway changed the clutch and the box. First time we did it and it wasn't that bad. Just lining the fork up was a pita for us
Venetian XUD ph2 heaven
Ph3 perv cab heaven
Black ph1 XUD died

Moonstone hdi stage 2
Thanks given by:
Come to me Big Grin everyone should come to me Big Grin hahahah

But yeah up for the meet, and I don't know when, probs when I get a job
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
If you're willing to come to bristol I know a cheap garage /plug
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 01:39 PM)Connor Wrote: If you're willing to come to bristol I know a cheap garage /plug

How cheaps cheap? I think £20 would be "cheap".
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
Cheap not idiotic Trent...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-08-2013, 01:45 PM)Connor Wrote: Cheap not idiotic Trent...

There was me wishing! Blush
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
its a right PIA . especiqly when you have to do it twice likke i did lo

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clutch cable change not gone as planned! Milano_92 15 2,904 26-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Milano_92
  Clutch change Slam Wagon 34 6,318 30-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305
  Clutch and/or Gearbox change 205 XUD silverzx 8 5,123 16-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Last Post: silverzx