Dum-Dums StanceBoard Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dums StanceBoard Project
Id been planing on making a 'scene toy' for a while and seeing Sam and Decs StanceBoard Project here <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1637</a><!-- l --> I decided Id knock out my own.

I had a cheap skateboard in my garage anyway so I went out to buy some bolts. I was going to use coach bolts to improve the ground clearance but I didnt want to countersink the board for the step so i ended up buying M6 x 100mm Roofing Bolts. These are less tan £2 for a pack of 10 out of screwfix. I also got some nylock nuts too. Roofing bolts are dome headed bolts like coach bolts but they dont have the step and they have a slot in the top for a screwdriver.

Anyway went home and marked up the board which is a ball ache to do accurately as its curved and my ruler isnt. Anyway, got it roughly marked up for the cuts and made 4 cuts in to a 'measured' depth down each side. I then drilled a row of holes to do the third side and wiggled the bit side to side to break the bits between the holes then snapped the last bit off.

I sat the boards trucks on the deck and realised the wheels didnt touch the workbench. Arse! So I dug out my spare set of trucks that had better clearance underneath and the wheels touched the bench.

I bolted it up for a test and it rolled but it was bloody close on the bench. Put it on the floor and hopped on and low and behold it was sitting on the heads of the bolts.

[attachment=4]
[attachment=3]
[attachment=2]

Gonna have to get myself a set of long board wheels.

Anyway I took it apart and started straightening up my cuts using some sort of rasp thing that I found in the workbench and it had a set of teeth down one side.
Long story short I have a massive gash across the top of my finger and my fingernail is cut in half. It is the worst pain I have felt in years, Ill admit i did scream and I was close to crying it was that painful. I might have to go hospital and get it stiched.

[attachment=0]

However I have finished with the file and sticker bombed the underside.

[attachment=1]

Gonna do something to protect the underside like a PVA clear coat or clear sticky back plastic.

Cant wait to get it finished.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Sweet lol

and painful
Thanks given by:
mooey65 Wrote:Sweet lol

and painful

No Pain, No gain LOL

Think I might upgrade to M8 bolts too to stop them twisting and flexing so much

Edit; Oh and to stop me forgetting my standard wheels are 50mm diameter by 35mm wide. Think its 70-80mm wheels I want as Id like 10mm ground clearance and 5-10mm clearance between the trucks and the board so I can steer.
Thanks given by:
MTFU, ive lost the finger nails on 9 of my fingers through work, that my friend, is a light scratch

Wink

Nice board though, love it!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Looks wicked mate! Great work!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Half way through mine. Mines a little sleeker with cut down m4 bolts Wink

Have you seen the price of bloody long board wheels? I got some cheap 55mm wheels which will be good enough lol
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the comments guys.

Long board wheels are ra*e, £30 minimum. Which is alot considering the skate board and bolts have probably totalled less than £20. Tempted to buy to sets so I can have 80mms on the rear and 74ish on the front.

That said I think long board trucks might be slightly wider for epic stance. Oh and speaking of stance Ive spun my front wheels so the dish is on the inside meaning that the front is about an inch narrower than the rear.

I dont think 55mm wheels (only an extra 2.5mm clearance) would really help and I still wouldnt have useable steering.

Edit; Matt good luck with the M4 I think youll just twist and snap them. I could get M6 bolts through my std M4 holes they were that slack as standard, I only drilled it so that they slid through rather than screwed through. I will cut my bolts down once ive worked out the spacings. TBH could even go domed nuts for a proper smooth look.
Thanks given by:
I can't fit m5 bolts through my holes lol. Did you drill the holes more then? Tbh I only did this for epic Lols as the skate board cost me £1
Bolts were free and new wheels has cost me £4 so done deal for a fiver haha
Thanks given by:
Yeah I drilled out the holes mate.

I had the board and spare trucks anyway so its only cos me the bolts really (so far)
Thanks given by:
Nice well I've got a shot load of bolts, once my new wheels turn up I'll get the drill out and put it together lol
Thanks given by:
What wheels you getting or it it the 55mm ones.
Thanks given by:
Getting 55mm ones, the ones I have on now are 44mm and barley touch the floor haha
Thanks given by:
God everyones doing it now haha. Looks good and those trucks and wheels look mint. mines going to look properly bashed when its done haha. Dec has bought a new board so his will be nice and mine is like 8 years old! Im not too sure about the clearance im going to have on my board either... I reckon itll come to saturday and the wheels wont touch the floor!

and yes longboard wheels... what a joke! Theyre so expensive!
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:Getting 55mm ones, the ones I have on now are 44mm and barley touch the floor haha

Remember that although the 55mm ones are 11mm bigger theyll only give you 5.5mm extra ground clearance as ground clearance is a radius from the axle and the wheels are measured as a diameter.

If youve not tried it with bolts yet you could have issues once you factor fitting bolt heads and however much it drops with your weight. (bending wood, stretching bolts squashing wheels, bearing slack etc)

Mine has enough ground clearance to roll till i stand on it and i reckon im a similar weight to you.
Thanks given by:
f*ck you and the scene
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Connor no-one wants your comments!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Tbh mines more for show, I'd like to be able to use it, but if I can't it's no biggie lol. I'm just gunna re drill the trucks and give put cleaner wheels on lol
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Connor no-one wants your comments!

Tough, youre all having them lol
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'm going for a new deck too, wanted one to tie in with the estate

[Image: plainlazy%20skateboard.jpg]
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:God everyones doing it now haha. Looks good and those trucks and wheels look mint. mines going to look properly bashed when its done haha. Dec has bought a new board so his will be nice and mine is like 8 years old! Im not too sure about the clearance im going to have on my board either... I reckon itll come to saturday and the wheels wont touch the floor!

and yes longboard wheels... what a joke! Theyre so expensive!

Cheers mate, Really like those trucks, had them in my parts bin for years waiting for something to use them on.

Theres a few kits on ebay with longboard wheels, trucks, ABEC7 bearings and a skate tool for £50 which aint a bad buy.

Ive gotta be honest I actually intend to get reasonable use out of mine so the better bearings could be good (currently on ABEC5).

The other joy with longboard wheels is that they have different compounds ranging form about 70-90 and they also have letters after the number. Ive had to work that sort of stuff out too.
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:f*ck you and the scene

GTFO, I does what I want cos I wants to, not cos everyone else is.
Thanks given by:
Haha looks totally impractical
How the scene is lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
looks good mate. can you get some reverse rake going on. hehe
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah course I can get some rake, Its effectively on coilovers, I just screw the trucks up and down the bolts to adjust ride height.
Thanks given by:
yeah baby, differant to the rest of em. :dance:
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
These wheels look big and cheap!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kryptonics-Tru...2311faeec5
Thanks given by:
Guys this is the canibeat article about them. It will make you want one.

http://www.canibeat.com/2011/09/random- ... d-edition/

Cheers Kingy.

Sam those are nice but I think 70mm Is the minimum I can work with as i want mine a little higher than most. Also theyer only a 78 compound which will be bit soft for my weight. Want 82+ ideally.
Thanks given by:
What is duro? And what is the 78a ratings?
Thanks given by:
SRowell Wrote:These wheels look big and cheap!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kryptonics-Tru...2311faeec5

Naw, THESE are stanced!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mindless-Sushi...588wt_1037

Concave FTW! Just wish I could get red ones
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Matt Wrote:What is duro? And what is the 78a ratings?

Its a rating of how soft the wheel is. the lower the number the softer it is, they start in the low to mid 70s.

The harder the wheel the more easy rolling itll be (and the less ground clearance youll loose when you step on the board).

I reckon youd want at least 80

cwspellowe Wrote:Naw, THESE are stanced!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mindless-Sushi...588wt_1037

Concave FTW! Just wish I could get red ones

They look good with the dish but they have a central hub. offset hubs have more dish = more poke = more win!

Im not too bothered about colour as long as theyer bright enough to go with the sticker bombing.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dum-Dums VNT 2.1TD OEM+ Bianca Estate. (loads of pics and video now added) Dum-Dum 737 330,762 10-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
Heart Dum-Dums Bianca GTi6 Dum-Dum 516 352,887 30-08-2014, 08:54 PM
  The 2.1TD Bianca Sedan - Dum-Dums Project Cheap Dum-Dum 330 157,052 21-01-2013, 11:40 AM