Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chatter??
is there any way of getting turbo chatter with a standard turbo
Thanks given by:
yeah defilter or use a propper filter u wont do it with standard air box
[Image: mintsig.jpg]
STAGE2 XUD DEAD ATM ENGINE REBUILD
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
COMING SOON TD04 Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Question should be "why would you want chatter on a standard turbo?" A couple of people have had it, Mine used to do it on my T2 if I changed up from 1st to 3rd. that was at 20ish psi with a standard exhaust, My current DT with k14 at 30psi with one box doesn't make much turbo noise at all though =z

Edit, I am using a standard airbox though
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
my t2 wouldnt do with standard air box haha av got td04 now so need to know what thats going to be like Smile
GARRET T2-BOSCH PUMP-GROUNDED LDA PIN-GOV MOD-FMIC-STRAIT THRU STAINLESS EXHAUST SYSTEM
Thanks given by:
I had a chat with my turbo once

turns out it doesnt like jeremy kyle, but was a huge fan of trisha. Also takes a huge interest in economic warfare ..

/closes door
Thanks given by:
JJ0063 Wrote:I had a chat with my turbo once

turns out it doesnt like jeremy kyle, but was a huge fan of trisha. Also takes a huge interest in economic warfare ..

/closes door

Cool story bro.
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
TD04L's don't chatter at all! Or at least mine doesn't!

why would you want it to though as Jake said? my T2 used to do it, the bearings are a little worse for ware in it now probably because of that!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
you do realise what chatter is right?? its not something you want to be 'aiming' for, nonetheless, my K03, with no pipe struggled to hitt any chatter at 18PSI.

almost get it with clear intake and large filter..
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
really td04 dont chatter good cos i hated mine chattering
Thanks given by:
Wondered how long it would be before this topic surfaced on here.
[Image: c6769879.jpg] TEAM TRACK CAR + An E60 530d M-Sport for the daily
Thanks given by:
Mine chatters in almost every gear change running a green cotton filter.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Jtrigga Wrote:Mine chatters in almost every gear change running a green cotton filter.

car spec?
Thanks given by:
T25 hybrid chatter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtn_4-VaHoA
Thanks given by:
SonnyRoby Wrote:T25 hybrid chatter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtn_4-VaHoA

gears, revs, speed? i want this in my life. even if it does shred my blades.. Sad
Thanks given by:
ginge191 Wrote:
Jtrigga Wrote:Mine chatters in almost every gear change running a green cotton filter.

car spec?

Running dewastegated t2 with lots of fuel, fmic and a green cotton filter.
Bye Bye D-Turbo
Phase 1 GTi-6 now has a new owner
Rolling in the: Phase 3 HDI Wagon

The current estate project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-22237.html
Thanks given by:
Jtrigga Wrote:Running dewastegated t2 with lots of fuel, fmic and a green cotton filter.

Good man. 8-)
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n180 ... d8d0c8.mp4

Mine with t2, fmic, bosch and custom intake
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
dont know if its the same but i know of a vw bora that sounded mad. straight pipe direct from the turbo.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
More to do with the VNT turbo on the Bora though, they sound very different from standard DTs/Hdis.

Also, Kingy, you've got an extra number on your bhp figure in your car spec lol. Tongue
Thanks given by:
You realise its not wastegate chatter, Its actually the noise of compressor stall.

Yes it sounds absolutely fapping epic but its actually quite damaging for the turbo and can cause snapped blades in the compressor housing, blade sucked into intake, piston and bore f*cked, new engine.

I used to love doing it on my XUD. DWG T2 and loads of fueling.
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:More to do with the VNT turbo on the Bora though, they sound very different from standard DTs/Hdis.

Also, Kingy, you've got an extra number on your bhp figure in your car spec lol. Tongue
what? is it the 7 or 8????? proberbly both with the power mine has he he :oops:
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Reckon my baby gt13 will do it?... whistle
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
best way to get chatter would be to blank of the wastegate on the turbo and use an external wastegate with the screamer pipe (correct me if im wrong), but i thought that would be a better way, then you get full boost untill the external wastegate spring lets go, and flutters.. tish tish tiishhhhhh! i was thinking of ways to external wastegate the hdi.
Thanks given by:
Wastegate doesn't have anything to do with flutter as far as I'm aware.

I think your referring to when the wastegate opens, instead of going back down your exhaust it takes a more direct route of straight out a pipe (screamer pipe). Which then gets you a kinda ermm "jet noise" Tongue But doesn't sound to great on these cars to be honest.
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
na im sure you get waste gate chatter on the externals its the spring bouncing back and forth, letting out pressure... but i could be wrong as im not 100% ill try find it.

edit* you are are right it dont, i was tryin to find a vid but got side tracked from evo's going through tunnels and boosting.. then i kinda forgot what i was looking for
Thanks given by:
No that happens on normal wastegates as well as EWGs

The noise your all getting is compressor stall.

You will not get wastegate chatter on a pug diesel (unless your darren maybe)

Screamer pipes on these sound like darth vader having an orgasm.

Oh and as the only person here to of fitted an EWG to a 306 diesel I feel myself somewhat an expert on the subject.
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:I feel myself somewhat an expert on the subject.

ROFL? You've fitted an EWG to a 306 diesel, and your an expert. I see.

I also, can't see what i've technically said wrong there. Except giving compressor stall a nick name of "flutter".

Also, wastegate chatter doesn't actually exist. It's a common myth.
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Dum-Dum Wrote:No that happens on normal wastegates as well as EWGs

You will not get wastegate chatter on a pug diesel (unless your darren maybe)

Screamer pipes on these sound like darth vader having an orgasm.

Oh and as the only person here to of fitted an EWG to a 306 diesel I feel myself somewhat an expert on the subject.

so in your opinion is it worth all the hassle of the external waste gate? does the pros out do the cons?
Thanks given by:
Matthew Wrote:
Dum-Dum Wrote:I feel myself somewhat an expert on the subject.

ROFL? You've fitted an EWG to a 306 diesel, and your an expert. I see.

I also, can't see what i've technically said wrong there. Except giving compressor stall a nick name of "flutter".

Also, wastegate chatter doesn't actually exist. It's a common myth.

I am the only person to of fitted an EWG to a 306 diesel so Im the only person with any real experience in the subject and so yes im an expert in fitting an EWG to a 306 diesel compared to the rest of you.

oh and the dictionary definition of expert is;

dictionary Wrote:a person who has special skill or knowledge in some particular field

Wastegate chatter does exist but not in the way that people think it does. The full boost let off the throttle is almost always compressor stall

However at part throttle approaching the boost threshold (especially if the wastegate it too large) you can get wastegate chatter as it opens and closes rapidly.

jo3 Wrote:so in your opinion is it worth all the hassle of the external waste gate? does the pros out do the cons?

Its not worth the hassle of taking it all apart just to fit one even though screamer pipe noise is epic.

However if your fitting a brand new turbo and manifold Id have it built with the ability to take an EWG and they regulate boost more accurately and without wastegate creep.

This is my personal opinion and not one shared by the rest of the forum (most of whom have never driven a car with a screamer pipe or done any real research on the subject)
Thanks given by:
yeah thats perfect, thanks see i was going to use all new exhaust mani's and put another turbo on anyway, so i would have it on a work bench, so if its out do it, but dont just take it apart.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bosch Pump Chatter jammapic 67 28,671 01-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Last Post: Mattcheese31