cooling system

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cooling system
bit of a strange one had to have the rocker box gasket replaced last week and up until then cooling system was fine. Now when I drive the car the temperature goes up high and when Turned the heaters on got hot air though the vents thought it was the thermostat so replaced that and now I'm not getting heat through he vents and the thermostat is not opening but the temperature is getting to hot has anybody got any ideas
Thanks given by:
could be just a coincidence. what colour is your coolant and oil?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2013, 04:41 AM)Piggy Wrote: could be just a coincidence. what colour is your coolant and oil?

the coolant was a rusty brown colour but put that down to not being changed recently and the oil was black even though I did a oil change a couple of months ago
Thanks given by:
Did you fully bleed the heater matrix after changing the thermostat?
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2013, 08:54 AM)306Dan Wrote: Did you fully bleed the heater matrix after changing the thermostat?

thought I had but still wasn't right

Thanks for the help guys. Car all sorted now with the help of my next door neighbour (mainly him doing the work cos I was losing my temper with it yesterday)
Thanks given by:
well now i'm confused thought i had the problem I mentioned above but last night the temperature gauge told me it was overheating again so stopped on side of the road and opened the bleed valves on the top of the radiator and on the heater matrix and it released a lot of air then hot water from the heater matrix bleed value but cold from the rad. Could the cooling system be sucking in air to cause air locks or is this a common problem with 306's
Thanks given by:
stuck thermostat? take it out and dump it in some boiling water - see if it opens up?
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2013, 02:06 PM)John1.4 Wrote: stuck thermostat? take it out and dump it in some boiling water - see if it opens up?

did that and fitted a brand new thermostat
Thanks given by:
Did you bleed up at the thermostat? Small Allen bolt there I've had air there that caused all manner of fun with the sensor iirc

Failing that have a look round for a coolant leak I've had a few on the pipe from thermostat to heater matrix, likes splitting on the clip and collects ontop of the gearbox
Thanks given by:
(25-07-2013, 03:10 PM)306Dan Wrote: Did you bleed up at the thermostat? Small Allen bolt there I've had air there that caused all manner of fun with the sensor iirc

Failing that have a look round for a coolant leak I've had a few on the pipe from thermostat to heater matrix, likes splitting on the clip and collects ontop of the gearbox

i'll have to try that. went out in the car yesterday and it was fine. Then went out again today and it started to over heat again. when I left home it had plenty of water init then when I checked it again before I left to come home the water level was low but can't find any leaks
Thanks given by:
well after all the suggestions from the guys on here and at work turns out the head gasket was knackered and the head was cracked in 2 places so new engine needed
Thanks given by:
need a good head? i've got a spare one i've just stripped down/cleaned/rebuilt - would just need a cam oil seal?
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
thanks for the offer but got another engine coming next week
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air in cooling system? Nathan1305 21 5,563 10-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Last Post: pugmanxud