Dodgy ignition barrel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodgy ignition barrel
Sad 
Ok so got in the car today, started it and barrel is all loose and can't get the key out etc :-( Is it possible to repair or replace easily or am I in a world of s**t???

It's really sensitive so there's barely a click now between on and off, bloody nightmare!!!
Thanks given by:
I've never heard on one wear before. Not to say it can't happen though! How many miles has your car done?

To change the barrel:

1: Remove the plastic shroud on the steering column (3 torx bits on underside)
2: Unplug wires from rear of barrel
3: Set key to position 2
4: Use a screwdriver to push in metal tabs on side of barrel
5: Slide barrel out

Refitting is a reverse of removal.

Hope that helps Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Replace the barrel is by far the easiest.
Got a complete lockset here ONLY ONE key mind.
£15posted.
Thanks given by:
I had to spray my ignition barrel with wd40 to loosen it up. The hole thing was starting to seize up. I could hardly turn the key at one point.

But I sorted it out in the end with wd40 spray.
Thanks given by:
She's on 170,000, the key turns fine but it sticks in on position so engine is running but starter motor keeps trying! Can you change it and not worry about immobiliser etc???
Thanks given by:
Yeah you need to take the chip out of you're key mind.
Thanks given by:
Ok I'm looking at the barrel and there's a plastic ring around it (Siemens). Is that immobiliser or something?

Problem I've found is that wiring to the barrel doesn't appear to be removable haha
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2013, 10:49 AM)gratts Wrote: Ok I'm looking at the barrel and there's a plastic ring around it (Siemens). Is that immobiliser or something?

Problem I've found is that wiring to the barrel doesn't appear to be removable haha

The ring around the barrel with the wires is the immobiliser. If you change the barrel you need to put ur chip in from the original key in to the new key one.
Thanks given by:
Ok thanks, the wiring in the barrel runs out and down the steering column and then behind some foam, do I need to disconnect it there?
Thanks given by:
yeah there is a connector by/behind that foam.

I wore out the barrel on one of mine... its nice and easy to replace though.
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2013, 12:15 PM)Welshy_Pete Wrote:
(21-07-2013, 10:49 AM)gratts Wrote: Ok I'm looking at the barrel and there's a plastic ring around it (Siemens). Is that immobiliser or something?

The ring around the barrel with the wires is the immobiliser. If you change the barrel you need to put ur chip in from the original key in to the new key one.

The black plastic around the barrel is the pickup ring. It reads the transponder chip in the key. It is not matched to the vehicle, and does not solely immobilise the car. Any pickup ring can be used on any car, they are not specific.

As said, just keep hold of your transponder chip, and bear in mind if you change the ignition barrel you will probably want to change the door locks so as to keep one key for everything Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Ok well I am now officially looking for a lock set, anyone got one??
Thanks given by:
(20-07-2013, 05:07 PM)Chris1357 Wrote: Replace the barrel is by far the easiest.
Got a complete lockset here ONLY ONE key mind.
£15posted.
Thanks given by:
^^Very reasonable price to be fair!

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
You've got one for sale or you mean you bought one off here? If its for sale, consider it sold!!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Key Barrel Welshy_Pete 4 1,875 14-01-2017, 12:45 AM
Last Post: Welshy_Pete
  Ignition barrel fault... No springyness Piggy 23 5,390 08-05-2016, 08:46 AM
Last Post: DarkInferno
  306 Ignition Barrel stuck! 306clot 3 1,756 09-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Last Post: 306clot