nad to td

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nad to td
Can I use a nad engine block and use td engine components to make the nad block a td engine?
Thanks given by:
I'm sure you've asked this before...

Why bother? Just buy an XUD9TE and drop it straight in.
Thanks given by:
(16-07-2013, 11:38 PM)Curt Wrote: I'm sure you've asked this before...

Why bother? Just buy an XUD9TE and drop it straight in.

+1
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sure this was covered before buddy!

If you wanted to you could, however I am unsure of the compatibility of the DT manifolds on an n/a engine.

Irrespective of this, the engine will not likely stand up to the increased stress of turbocharging it for very long.

As others have suggested, it would be far better, and far cheaper to buy a TD engine and swap that in for the n/a engine...
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
how many times a week does this get asked!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
i dont want to change the engine because if i get stopped ill be screwed
Thanks given by:
If you mean for insurance purposes, you have to declare it whatever you do.
Thanks given by:
yh but how would any 1 know the insides are changed or who would even check for a turbo
Thanks given by:
They might not, until you have an accident... "Oh, what's this..." and your insurance is void.

Also, what difference does it make if you change the engine or turbo the current one? It's irrelevant, one is a lot easier but both MUST be declared.
Thanks given by:
If its like that who will notice its a different engine if they aint lookinf for a turbo??

But as above you must declare that you have a turbo. what happens when you crash and put a whole family in intensive care and your insurence is void???

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
you be amazed what they will look for
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Not being funny, but have you ever seen a non-OEM turbo install? It's fairly obvious...

Also, if you turbo the n/a engine, and it pops leaving you on the side of the road and the police come along (which happens more often than not), you're gonna look awfully silly with undeclared modifications that have directly caused your car to die and the ensuing congestion....

Seriously, if you want to turbocharge an n/a block, do it but for goodness' sake declare it.

I'm locking this thread now, as it's not going anywhere productive, but I will summarise your options below;

1. Buy a Dturbo and tune that. You will benefit from having the right engine to start with, you wont have to declare an engine change on your insurance, and you can tune away to your hearts content. The only downside being you wont be in your old car which I understand you are quite attached to

2. Turbocharge your n/a Diesel engine in your current car. This will require you to get hold of the following as a BARE minimum: 1. Turbo + manifold + oil line, Inlet Manifold, Inlet and exhaust gaskets, intercooler, boost piping, fuel pump, injector lines, pump bracket, woodruff key, pulley, boost compensator pipe, leak off pipes and full DT exhaust. I would also strongly recommend you replace the gearbox as the N/a ratios are no good with the additional power. I am unsure of the compatibility of the n/a diesel engine clutch so you may have to factor that in too. You will then need to fit it all, which is no small job, particularly if you haven't done it before. It may also require some custom fabrication, for instance when installing the oil line for the turbo. Obvious disadvantages are the potential lack of reliability, and the increased insurance for the modifications.

3. Swap engines. You will need a complete engine from a Dturbo and the exhaust. It will probably be less fiddly and more straightforward than turboing the n/a engine, and will almost certainly be cheaper. You will then have the better engine in the car you like. Downside being your insurance will probably increase due to the engine swap.
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by: