Best Tyres

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Tyres
As above, what are the best tyres for the 306 for handling, grip, performance, wear etc
Thanks
Thanks given by:
Very subjective as it depends entirely on use I.e road, track, winter use, wet use etc.

Most tyres are down to personal preference I've always used t1rs with no issues but recently moved to Yokohama s drives and absolutely love them
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 08:15 PM)vlj Wrote: Very subjective as it depends entirely on use I.e road, track, winter use, wet use etc.

Most tyres are down to personal preference I've always used t1rs with no issues but recently moved to Yokohama s drives and absolutely love them

Thanks for the info, mainly for fast road use, a couple of track days, some everyday like driving.

Apparently michelins are good for peugeots/citroens, could you use 195 50 15s rather than 195 55 15s? Or would this affect the speedometer readings etc? As this size is a lot cheaper for better tyres, Advice please
Thanks given by:
Moved to the correct section.

There's been plenty of tyre threads lately if you have a browse. It all comes down to your requirements at the end of the day.

My personal opinion is that Falken ZE914s are very good, as are Uniroyal RS2s. Obviously the latter focused more on wet grip. If it's on a daily driver, they're great tyres.

If it's more track orientated, something like R888s might be more suitable... but no good for a daily in the rain. Then there's cost obviously.

Changing to 50 profiles is common practice, mainly for the price. Other differences are stiffer sidewall and slightly harsher ride, speedo will be effected but not significantly at all.
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 08:20 PM)MY95 Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 08:15 PM)vlj Wrote: Very subjective as it depends entirely on use I.e road, track, winter use, wet use etc.

Thanks for the info, mainly for fast road use, a couple of track days, some everyday like driving.

Apparently michelins are good for peugeots/citroens, could you use 195 50 15s rather than 195 55 15s? Or would this affect the speedometer readings etc? As this size is a lot cheaper for better tyres, Advice please

A few people here have PE2's I know Jonny does and rates them very highly. Changing down profile will affect the speedo reading very slightly but nowhere near as much as changing wheel size does.
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 08:37 PM)vlj Wrote: A few people here have PE2's I know Jonny does and rates them very highly. Changing down profile will affect the speedo reading very slightly but nowhere near as much as changing wheel size does.

Changing wheel size won't effect the speedo as long as you use the correct profile tyres...
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 08:38 PM)Curt Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 08:37 PM)vlj Wrote: A few people here have PE2's I know Jonny does and rates them very highly. Changing down profile will affect the speedo reading very slightly but nowhere near as much as changing wheel size does.

Changing wheel size won't effect the speedo as long as you use the correct profile tyres...

So if you go up a size you go down a profile etc? Didn't really know that tbh
Thanks given by:
yeah and the fact that 205/55/17s would look huge!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yep exactly, if the wheels get bigger, the tyres get smaller to keep the rolling radius the same
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 08:36 PM)Curt Wrote: Moved to the correct section.

There's been plenty of tyre threads lately if you have a browse. It all comes down to your requirements at the end of the day.

My personal opinion is that Falken ZE914s are very good, as are Uniroyal RS2s. Obviously the latter focused more on wet grip. If it's on a daily driver, they're great tyres.

If it's more track orientated, something like R888s might be more suitable... but no good for a daily in the rain. Then there's cost obviously.

Changing to 50 profiles is common practice, mainly for the price. Other differences are stiffer sidewall and slightly harsher ride, speedo will be effected but not significantly at all.

Thanks for the reply, what mph more are we looking at? Only 2 or 3 for a 50 rather than 55?
Thanks given by:
Well obviously the faster you go the further out it'll be, but it'll be negligible really. It's the right way to go though as it'll over read slightly, so you won't be going faster than it says.
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 09:01 PM)Curt Wrote: Well obviously the faster you go the further out it'll be, but it'll be negligible really. It's the right way to go though as it'll over read slightly, so you won't be going faster than it says.

Oh i see, thanks
Thanks given by:
Lots of online tyre calls can work this out for you.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Is one!

I'm going for Uniroyal RS2s as they suit my budget, and as a plus get good ratings!
Thanks given by:
What tyres has everyone got/had and what are your opinions on them? Which would you buy again and why?
Thanks given by:
I use toyo T1rs on my 6 in a 195,50,15. When i just had a set of coilies they use to me really good but as i uprate more and more stuff the tyres now dont really seem good enough. So depends on your mods aswell

Iv also got yoko spec 2s on my estate in a 205/40/16 actually really rate them on the estate even with the spoungy rude. Might test them out on the 6 this weekend

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(12-07-2013, 11:28 AM)MY95 Wrote: What tyres has everyone got/had and what are your opinions on them? Which would you buy again and why?

I have rubber ones! Very very good IMO
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2013, 11:37 AM)puglove Wrote: I use toyo T1rs on my 6 in a 195,50,15. When i just had a set of coilies they use to me really good but as i uprate more and more stuff the tyres now dont really seem good enough. So depends on your mods aswell

Iv also got yoko spec 2s on my estate in a 205/40/16 actually really rate them on the estate even with the spoungy rude. Might test them out on the 6 this weekend

Thanks for your reply, would think of getting 50 profiles for the price but since the speedo and everything would be out would you be doing quite a few more miles than you actually are on the speedo?
Thanks given by:
Nah I genuinely have budgets all round, great for sliding sideways at every roundabout.

I always use to get t1rs, brilliant IMO, nice and grippy
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2013, 11:39 AM)MY95 Wrote:
(12-07-2013, 11:37 AM)puglove Wrote: I use toyo T1rs on my 6 in a 195,50,15. When i just had a set of coilies they use to me really good but as i uprate more and more stuff the tyres now dont really seem good enough. So depends on your mods aswell

Thanks for your reply, would think of getting 50 profiles for the price but since the speedo and everything would be out would you be doing quite a few more miles than you actually are on the speedo?

It would be such a small amount it really wouldnt matter. Over 10,000miles it would prob be like 100miles it dosnt clock so on the whole its nothing. And TBH with the 306s being so old now i very much doubt its accurate anymore anyway. Putting the smallet tyres on it might bring it back into line abit lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Depends on budget but having gone to premium tyres I wouldn't go back. I was running eagle F1's and they're good, but have moved on to michelin ps2's and they're epic. Had them since January iirc and they're wearing well. I'd have destroyed a set of proxes already lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Personally, if you've got the money, Michelin PE2s (or PS2s I think they're sold as now) are going to be the best tyre for all round. Tyre reviews rave about them, great dry grip, sharp on change of direction/turn-in, good in the wet and they last a long time. You'll find few people buy them as they're expensive (well for a 195 55 R15 they are at the top end of the price range), but IMO you'll see the benefits and they'll last longer than cheaper stuff so you'll only be saving in the long run.

Another tyre with very good reviews is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2. These received very slightly better reviews than the PS2/3s, and are similarly priced.

IF you're looking for a good summer tyre for fast road and track, Michelin Pilot Supersports have very good reviews (it's what I'll be putting on the Meg later in the year when I've chomped up the rest of the Contisports it's currently on!). These are generally accepted as right on the border between fast road and track-day semi-slicks.

If you want something another step up, which will be great for track and fast road, but IIRC wont wear as well as the Mich Supersport, Yokohama Advan Neovas are prettymuch trackday semi-slicks...

Then obviously you have the different compounds of Toyo R888s, or Yoko AD08s. These will offer a considerable increase in grip over any of the aforementioned tyres, but will wear more quickly, and as the sidewalls are very strong will make the ride harsher.

My personal opinion on tyres is basically you get what you pay for. People moan on here about tyres being expensive, and the best ones to go for being stuff like Parada Spec2s or Toyo T1R's.

These aren't bad tyres, but having driven on other things I certainly wouldn't buy them again. They do offer great grip in the dry, but they wear a lot more quickly, and the wet grip is terrible. They also have very soft sidewalls, which translates into wooly turn-in/sharpness on change of direction, and doesn't give you good feedback when driving hard. Personally, I'd trade outright grip for great feedback on the limit every day of the week; having a car where you know exactly what is going on at all times makes the driving experience much more enjoyable.

So its horses for courses. If you're on a budget, for the best dry grip get spec2s or T1Rs. For a good all-rounder at a slightly increased cost, something like the Dunlop SP Fast Responses which Ruan raves about would be a good shout. If you have the budget though, I'd highly recommend making the step up to the Michelin PS/PE2s, or the Goodyear Assy2s.
and if you're tracking the car, then get the Michelin Pilot Supersports or the Yoko Advan Neovas.

One final note; you may have to get a bit creative with the tyre dimensions with the Supersports or the Advan Neovas; they will probably come in 205/55 R15 or similar just due to the demand for tyre sizes and the 195 55 r15 size not being a hugely popular one..!!

Hope that helps mate Smile
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
As above basically, T1Rs, Paradas, RS2s are at the end of the day BUDGET tyres...

Until I went to a PREMIUM tyre I wouldn't believe it either... But the difference is unreal, I'd have spent just as much in T1Rs or Paradas for them to wear out twice as quick have shitty turn in, be crap in the wet.... Whereas a set of PS2s or high-mid ranges like my SP Sport Fastresponses would have lasted in £/mile the same as the lobudgets, but done everything else better in the meantime for essentially no extra cost...

For mid range tyres I'd say Yoko S.Drives are a good buy as are SP Sport Fastresponses, they've got one of the best sidewalls of any tyre I've ever owned, they're bloody amazing IMO!! For top end I'm personally not a fan of Eagles, but I do like PE2s, PS3s and Conti Sportcontacts...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2013, 11:47 AM)puglove Wrote:
(12-07-2013, 11:39 AM)MY95 Wrote:

It would be such a small amount it really wouldnt matter. Over 10,000miles it would prob be like 100miles it dosnt clock so on the whole its nothing. And TBH with the 306s being so old now i very much doubt its accurate anymore anyway. Putting the smallet tyres on it might bring it back into line abit lol

Oh ok, thanks for the info

(12-07-2013, 12:15 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Personally, if you've got the money, Michelin PE2s (or PS2s I think they're sold as now) are going to be the best tyre for all round. Tyre reviews rave about them, great dry grip, sharp on change of direction/turn-in, good in the wet and they last a long time. You'll find few people buy them as they're expensive (well for a 195 55 R15 they are at the top end of the price range), but IMO you'll see the benefits and they'll last longer than cheaper stuff so you'll only be saving in the long run.

Another tyre with very good reviews is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2. These received very slightly better reviews than the PS2/3s, and are similarly priced.

IF you're looking for a good summer tyre for fast road and track, Michelin Pilot Supersports have very good reviews (it's what I'll be putting on the Meg later in the year when I've chomped up the rest of the Contisports it's currently on!). These are generally accepted as right on the border between fast road and track-day semi-slicks.

If you want something another step up, which will be great for track and fast road, but IIRC wont wear as well as the Mich Supersport, Yokohama Advan Neovas are prettymuch trackday semi-slicks...

Then obviously you have the different compounds of Toyo R888s, or Yoko AD08s. These will offer a considerable increase in grip over any of the aforementioned tyres, but will wear more quickly, and as the sidewalls are very strong will make the ride harsher.

My personal opinion on tyres is basically you get what you pay for. People moan on here about tyres being expensive, and the best ones to go for being stuff like Parada Spec2s or Toyo T1R's.

These aren't bad tyres, but having driven on other things I certainly wouldn't buy them again. They do offer great grip in the dry, but they wear a lot more quickly, and the wet grip is terrible. They also have very soft sidewalls, which translates into wooly turn-in/sharpness on change of direction, and doesn't give you good feedback when driving hard. Personally, I'd trade outright grip for great feedback on the limit every day of the week; having a car where you know exactly what is going on at all times makes the driving experience much more enjoyable.

So its horses for courses. If you're on a budget, for the best dry grip get spec2s or T1Rs. For a good all-rounder at a slightly increased cost, something like the Dunlop SP Fast Responses which Ruan raves about would be a good shout. If you have the budget though, I'd highly recommend making the step up to the Michelin PS/PE2s, or the Goodyear Assy2s.
and if you're tracking the car, then get the Michelin Pilot Supersports or the Yoko Advan Neovas.

One final note; you may have to get a bit creative with the tyre dimensions with the Supersports or the Advan Neovas; they will probably come in 205/55 R15 or similar just due to the demand for tyre sizes and the 195 55 r15 size not being a hugely popular one..!!

Hope that helps mate Smile

Thanks for the massive reply! Really good info that thanks! Would be looking at getting tyres from the top of the range really such as the michelin pilot exalto 2s or pilot sport 3s, which of the two would you go for? And also what size and what would the differences with each tyre size have an impact the car i.e. 205 55 15, 195 55 15 or the 195 50 15, what would the difference from 195-205 do to the car like speedo, miles etc
Thanks again!

(12-07-2013, 12:27 PM)Ruan Wrote: As above basically, T1Rs, Paradas, RS2s are at the end of the day BUDGET tyres...

Until I went to a PREMIUM tyre I wouldn't believe it either... But the difference is unreal, I'd have spent just as much in T1Rs or Paradas for them to wear out twice as quick have shitty turn in, be crap in the wet.... Whereas a set of PS2s or high-mid ranges like my SP Sport Fastresponses would have lasted in £/mile the same as the lobudgets, but done everything else better in the meantime for essentially no extra cost...

For mid range tyres I'd say Yoko S.Drives are a good buy as are SP Sport Fastresponses, they've got one of the best sidewalls of any tyre I've ever owned, they're bloody amazing IMO!! For top end I'm personally not a fan of Eagles, but I do like PE2s, PS3s and Conti Sportcontacts...

Thanks for the info, where did you get your tyres from if you dont mind me asking?
Thanks given by:
Rs2's for me. They may be budget tyres but they certainly don't perform like one. Very similar performance to the old Goodyear eagle f1s which I loved, but these had a very sudden breakaway point when they gave up gripping, they're also no longer available at a reasonable price. The ride is harsh on the RS2s because the sidewalls seem pretty hard, and they also generate a lot of road noise. Compare them to the likes of a ZE912 or T1R budget and they're exceptional from my experience...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2013, 09:18 PM)C.A.R. Wrote: Rs2's for me. They may be budget tyres but they certainly don't perform like one. Very similar performance to the old Goodyear eagle f1s which I loved, but these had a very sudden breakaway point when they gave up gripping, they're also no longer available at a reasonable price. The ride is harsh on the RS2s because the sidewalls seem pretty hard, and they also generate a lot of road noise. Compare them to the likes of a ZE912 or T1R budget and they're exceptional from my experience...

Thanks, seems as if a lot of people rate the RS2s highly on here
Thanks given by:
Cos they're good, and nice and cheap! They're gotten cheaper since Uniroyal brought out the RainExpert - I've never had any experiences with this tyre. I had the ZE912s from Falken on my Celica and found the trip to be adequate but occasionally they were skittish and I had a couple of uncomfortable 'moments' with them. I had the Toyo's on my MX5 when I first got it and whilst they were fun they didn't offer much grip IMO. I replaced the rears with RS2's when they wore down and it made the car grip like buggery. So much so that I rotated them onto the front axle to make the car a bit more lively again!

I'd go for the correct profile if you can afford it, but I doubt there are many that still do given that there aren't many 306s worth more than a bag of sand nowadays!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Rainsport sidewalls are soft, not hard... Confused

S'why they always look flat, and ride wallowy. And they do make a lot of road noise, but I've noticed rainexperts make even more.....thought I had a bad bearing before swapping front (RS2) with rear (RE) lol. They do seem to grip well though, especially in the wet.
Thanks given by:
I have AD08's and theyre awesome in the dry and wet! Shame they are quite expensive. Not sure on how long they will last either
[Image: 65613_10200761612710317_1548698655_n_zps68c27004.jpg]

CONVOI EXCEPTIONNEL
Thanks given by:
Rainsport 2s sidewalls are made out of net curtains... They're gash!

I normally get my tyres from Camskill or similar, but often if the tyre dealer can get them in, it's just easier, they're never as happy to put on your tyres as they are to put on theirs, you normally pay over the odds for fitting and balancing because they didn't sell the tyres...

I don't think you can get PE2s any more, PS3s have replaced them - or something like that, there's a load of replacements for them at the moment as they're phasing out the older styles. I've got PE2s at the moment, but I got them cheap as older stock...

With regards to profile, after having both, I would ALWAYS go for 55 profile, they do cost quite a bit more, I think my PE2s were about £80 a corner fitted, seems like a lot, but they are damned good! I could get equal tyres for almost £25 less a corner if I went for 50 profile, but they just drive SO much better on 55s - afterall it is what Peugeot intended and making it one of the best handling FWD cars of all time wasn't an accident... If you want the increased stiffness of the shorter sidewall, get 16" wheels and swap to 45s or 50s... Dropping to 50s on 15" wheels makes them look stupid in the arches and they just don't feel right on the road...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I always spend as much as possible on tyres. End of the day, its probably the biggest safety thing you are buying as its the only thing keeping you in touch with the road!
I had t1rs on my Clones in standard 195/55 size. Were great but wore quickly and although they gripped well, it wasnt well enough even in some standard road situations. Had eagle F1s on my Turinis (which i see as a step up from t1rs) and they seem to wear well but i wasnt impressed at all with the grip! Ive just bought some Michelin pilot sport 3s (PS2s or PE2s are no longer sold and have been replaced with the PS3). They were pricy at £100 a corner but im incredibly impressed. They grip like nothing ive had before on a 306 and they arent even scrubbed in yet.
I did have PS2s on my old saab and although its difficult to compare because its a different car, the level of dry and wet grip was incredible!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by: