CLOUDS OF SMOKE!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLOUDS OF SMOKE!!
Hopefully someone has experienced this....

Driving to work, put my foot down to clear cobwebs, slow down for roundabout and suddenly I'm driving a tractor, sensitive throttle, 1200 idle and clouds of black smoke! Turn off and on, sorted??!!

Any ideas? Thanks :-)
Thanks given by:
That's weird. Any warning lights?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Sounds like a fecked sensor some where?

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
No lights at all, second time it's done it, does it if I break speed limit (which is never :p)

Anyone had egr go before?
Thanks given by:
What colour smoke? Does it affect the power of your car? Is the car using any oil?

Sounds like something is going wrong so its partially running on its own oil or excess fuel.

I doubt its the EGR, possibly a loose sensor wire, possibly a shagged injector or possibly a dodgy oil seal.
Thanks given by:
No oil usage, it's 100% unburnt fuel, all black. The sound of the engine changes quite considerably into a clattering diesel but no major lack of power, certainly feels different though with the throttle pedal.

I just can't understand why it's fine if I turn it off and back on! Just looked underneath and the air box isn't physically attached to the engine, it's just hanging there!
Thanks given by:
Sticking TPS would be my guess.

Edit - The airbox isn't connected? Means the MAF doesn't know whats happening so re-connect that intake lol!!
Thanks given by:
my thoughts would be MAF
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Haha this car is comical in a charming way!
Thanks given by:
Get the airbox and maf plugged back in and see if that changes things.

I kinda feel leaky injector
Thanks given by:
It'll be in the air tomorrow (wheel bearing) so ill have a look at the old girl.

By the way, anybody after a fmic elbow from 406 hdi? I've got one, there's one on eBay at the min £23 + £7.95 post, 3 days to go :-O just thought if put feelers out
Thanks given by:
Black smoke is partially burnt fuel, unburnt is white/grey. Sounding like a maf issue or serious injector issues, bit bizarre though. Check out the earth on the maf, might need cleaning up. I'd recommend getting it on diagnostics before spending out on any parts.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sorry yeah partially burnt, it is bizzare because I could drive it all day long sensibly with no problem at all but really boot it and it happens!
Thanks given by:
Cant believe no one has suggested a boost leak?

My fmic pipe blew off a few weeks back and blew coal all over the dual carriageway and drove like a dog. Check your pipes and hoses and go from there.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I thought about boost leak but he says its when slowing down, rather than accelerating, and that turning off and on fixes it. If it's was a blown pipe it'd be all the time, and would take an age to get to the speed limit if it ever did.

I blew one right off in the Golf, couldn't even overtake and coaled everything lol....
Thanks given by:
The thing was, I could barely hear anything over the wheel bearing so I only knew something was wrong while slowing down haha

If I don't turn it off it idles just over 1000, really loud and comedy smoke, that's all the time...... Until I switch it off!

I'm thinking now that it could be a pipe because the top mount has gone I think and engine is twisting like crazy
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you need to start fixing some stuff dude haha!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Wheel bearing done today :-) I can hear the radio now!
Thanks given by:
I think you might as well scrap it tbh Tongue
Thanks given by:
How rude lol still pulls like a train, just need engine mount done and powerflow removed (too loud) and it'll be like a Rolls Royce! :p
Thanks given by:
Haha....

And a load of engine sensors from the sound of it!

Seriously though, did you get any further with the problem today? Put the airbox back properly yet?
Thanks given by:
I drove sensible today, 40 miles and no dramas, only does it if I boot it hard Undecided

Engine mount has had it so I think it's pulling intake off, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced top engine mount? Don't need competition stuff etc
Thanks given by:
I'm sure someone was telling me the oem ones were only about £45, they'll last longer than anything short of competition-type mounts in my experience.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok ill get on that then, cheers
Thanks given by:
Has it been mapped? Might be a bad map?
Thanks given by:
I honestly have no idea if its been mapped or not, it's possible but not doing much good as it is haha
Thanks given by:
Hahaha, fair enough. My HDi smokes like f*ck when you floor it, specially when it gets above 3k. Love having a dirty diesel though Wink partly the reason I haven't increased boost yet Wink
Thanks given by:
Just fyi, continuous heavy coaling at wot will cook your turbine wheel over time, would be an ideal excuse to upgrade though. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Mine doesn't smoke unless its having a hissy fit! It does smoke pre boost though, feels like it's clogged up but sure they all do that
Thanks given by:
That was aimed at callumcull, he's running a high-fuel map. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black smoke with exhaust and egr valve smoke in engine Welshy_Pete 35 12,115 30-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle