306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: DW10 HDi section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! (/showthread.php?tid=15424)

Pages: 1 2

CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - gratts - 11-07-2013

Hopefully someone has experienced this....

Driving to work, put my foot down to clear cobwebs, slow down for roundabout and suddenly I'm driving a tractor, sensitive throttle, 1200 idle and clouds of black smoke! Turn off and on, sorted??!!

Any ideas? Thanks :-)

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Jonny81191 - 11-07-2013

That's weird. Any warning lights?

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - puglove - 11-07-2013

Sounds like a fecked sensor some where?

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - gratts - 11-07-2013

No lights at all, second time it's done it, does it if I break speed limit (which is never :p)

Anyone had egr go before?

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Dum-Dum - 11-07-2013

What colour smoke? Does it affect the power of your car? Is the car using any oil?

Sounds like something is going wrong so its partially running on its own oil or excess fuel.

I doubt its the EGR, possibly a loose sensor wire, possibly a shagged injector or possibly a dodgy oil seal.

No oil usage, it's 100% unburnt fuel, all black. The sound of the engine changes quite considerably into a clattering diesel but no major lack of power, certainly feels different though with the throttle pedal.

I just can't understand why it's fine if I turn it off and back on! Just looked underneath and the air box isn't physically attached to the engine, it's just hanging there!

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Toms306 - 11-07-2013

Sticking TPS would be my guess.

Edit - The airbox isn't connected? Means the MAF doesn't know whats happening so re-connect that intake lol!!

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Piggy - 11-07-2013

my thoughts would be MAF

Haha this car is comical in a charming way!

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Dum-Dum - 11-07-2013

Get the airbox and maf plugged back in and see if that changes things.

I kinda feel leaky injector

It'll be in the air tomorrow (wheel bearing) so ill have a look at the old girl.

By the way, anybody after a fmic elbow from 406 hdi? I've got one, there's one on eBay at the min £23 + £7.95 post, 3 days to go :-O just thought if put feelers out

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Poodle - 11-07-2013

Black smoke is partially burnt fuel, unburnt is white/grey. Sounding like a maf issue or serious injector issues, bit bizarre though. Check out the earth on the maf, might need cleaning up. I'd recommend getting it on diagnostics before spending out on any parts.

Sorry yeah partially burnt, it is bizzare because I could drive it all day long sensibly with no problem at all but really boot it and it happens!

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - londondan86 - 12-07-2013

Cant believe no one has suggested a boost leak?

My fmic pipe blew off a few weeks back and blew coal all over the dual carriageway and drove like a dog. Check your pipes and hoses and go from there.

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Toms306 - 12-07-2013

I thought about boost leak but he says its when slowing down, rather than accelerating, and that turning off and on fixes it. If it's was a blown pipe it'd be all the time, and would take an age to get to the speed limit if it ever did.

I blew one right off in the Golf, couldn't even overtake and coaled everything lol....

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - gratts - 12-07-2013

The thing was, I could barely hear anything over the wheel bearing so I only knew something was wrong while slowing down haha

If I don't turn it off it idles just over 1000, really loud and comedy smoke, that's all the time...... Until I switch it off!

I'm thinking now that it could be a pipe because the top mount has gone I think and engine is twisting like crazy

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Poodle - 12-07-2013

Sounds like you need to start fixing some stuff dude haha!

Wheel bearing done today :-) I can hear the radio now!

I think you might as well scrap it tbh Tongue

How rude lol still pulls like a train, just need engine mount done and powerflow removed (too loud) and it'll be like a Rolls Royce! :p

Haha....

And a load of engine sensors from the sound of it!

Seriously though, did you get any further with the problem today? Put the airbox back properly yet?

I drove sensible today, 40 miles and no dramas, only does it if I boot it hard Undecided

Engine mount has had it so I think it's pulling intake off, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced top engine mount? Don't need competition stuff etc

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Poodle - 13-07-2013

I'm sure someone was telling me the oem ones were only about £45, they'll last longer than anything short of competition-type mounts in my experience.

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - gratts - 13-07-2013

Ok ill get on that then, cheers

CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - callumcull - 17-07-2013

Has it been mapped? Might be a bad map?

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - gratts - 18-07-2013

I honestly have no idea if its been mapped or not, it's possible but not doing much good as it is haha

CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - callumcull - 18-07-2013

Hahaha, fair enough. My HDi smokes like f*ck when you floor it, specially when it gets above 3k. Love having a dirty diesel though Wink partly the reason I haven't increased boost yet Wink

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Poodle - 18-07-2013

Just fyi, continuous heavy coaling at wot will cook your turbine wheel over time, would be an ideal excuse to upgrade though. Wink

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - gratts - 18-07-2013

Mine doesn't smoke unless its having a hissy fit! It does smoke pre boost though, feels like it's clogged up but sure they all do that

RE: CLOUDS OF SMOKE!! - Poodle - 18-07-2013

That was aimed at callumcull, he's running a high-fuel map. Smile