Exhausts -

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhausts -
Hello all Smile

Thinking about sticking a Hoffman decat pipe/straight through centre section with a Sportex backbox onto my HDi in the near future. The backbox is listed as for the 1.9 DTurbo and 2.0 HDi models on the Sportex website so I'm assuming it isn't just a petrol part?

In total without fitting (roughly how much would a garage charge to fit the whole lot?) it would be about £210 which is much cheaper than the £350 or so I've been quoted by Longlife, Powerflow etc for a full S/S system. But would the mild steel used in the Hoffman and Sportex parts last long enough to warrant buying them instead of spending a bit more and just going for the S/S?

Cheers
Thanks given by:
First off apparently the Hoffman uses crush bends that aren't great for gas flow so is something to consider if your gonna do alot of tuning. Second I think your pricing is a bit wrong, im sure I'd seen the race tube and de-cat at £50 each. Oh and garage fitting will probably be an hour's labour. Someone here might do it cheaper though, if you were local I would for a couple of quid or ill supervise you doing it if you bring me biscuits.
Thanks given by:
(10-07-2013, 11:17 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: First off apparently the Hoffman uses crush bends that aren't great for gas flow so is something to consider if your gonna do alot of tuning. Second I think your pricing is a bit wrong, im sure I'd seen the race tube and de-cat at £50 each. Oh and garage fitting will probably be an hour's labour. Someone here might do it cheaper though, if you were local I would for a couple of quid or ill supervise you doing it if you bring me biscuits.

They were £50ish each and the Sportex box is £110ish I think, excluding delivery though :/

Alternatively I just remembered there's a Longlife dealer in Birmingham that ages ago did the exact system I want but in S/S for £260, bit of a drive but I'll have to check if they still do it for that.

Tuning isn't top of my list for now but I wouldn't want to do half a job and only half derestrict the flow, trapping ponies Big Grin

Also I have relatives near Amersham when I visit them I could possibly pay you a visit on the way if you were free :p
Thanks given by:
Anyone else got deja vu?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hmm, I do.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Had that exact system on my HDi, well worth the money IMO
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Why don't you sack off the back box and just straight pipe it? Cost a fraction of the backbox and sounds epic
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
I have the Hoffman center section, decat and backbox on my car. I fitted all but the decat myself, if you can operate axle stands and a jack it's easy.

As for the bends in the pipe, yes they're crush bends but it's also just a cheap exhaust... And it's only a 12 year old diesel not a race car, you have to put things into perspective!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Yeah but crush bends are restrictions, regardless of the age of the car. Exhausts make a difference. And crush bends kinda defeat the point of the midsection being straight through. I'd even suggest that the standard original part with the midbox is less restrictive than a straight through with crush bends.

Thanks given by:
I say go powerflow.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Ah so you enjoy it without lube then, Tom? I know who's tent i'm going to be in at fcs...

Jonny's got a point, especially when you look at just how crushed those bends are. Perspective is well and good, but what's the point pay extra for something that's not going to offer any benefits? It doesn't how far i stand back, i can't quite seem to get perspective on that particular decision...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its pricey but they make what you want, which i think is cool, not to mention its all stainless its all brand new. If you work for a living and want to get into modifying cars you got to expect to pay for it dont you?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on perspective i guess haha) i've got lots of other things in my life that need money spent on them and the car is low on the priority list (you know, rent, bills, savings, etc - life really). I can't spare £350 just for an exhaust, plus it'd be stupid when i can make one myself for the cost of some welding rods. lol

Tbf i reckon the op would be better off paying for powerflow than he would for that hoffman stuff though, the hoffman is only in mild steel too, so it give it a couple of years and it'll start to rust.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeahyeah i ment the OP haha! If your capable of buying steel tube and have a welder that would be alot cheaper!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Ive got a hoffmann downpipe and mid section and ill agree its only cheap mild steel and it does have some kinks just cheap masproduced stuff the only reason for replacing most of my system had rusted so just hacked the mid box as my backbox and gave my old man my hand me down butchered downpipe, Had to replace one of the sprung loaded bolts as it snapped.

Its a good fit though, but going to replicate the system with some 2.25/2.5" stainless model when supporting mods warrant it.

Like i did with my corolla tsport

[Image: 1d02b155.jpg]

Just need abit of time....
Thanks given by:
I thnik the chances are if you not gonna do serious tuning the hoffman system will be fine. It'll probably last a good 5 years. The other thing is your car could well of had a replacement system on it at some point by now already and that will be crush bent shit.

As is above if you know someone who can weld then the mild steel tube to make your own system will be under £150 and you can make what you want then. I think thats what ill end up doing on my next car just so I can get a full 3" system.
Thanks given by:
Just build one if you can weld/have access to a welder

Thanks given by:
Jonny im guessing if hes going to pay some one to fit it he isnt going to be able to make and weld one himself you donkey Tongue

but self built derv exhausts are full of win

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 12:30 PM)puglove Wrote: Jonny im guessing if hes going to pay some one to fit it he isnt going to be able to make and weld one himself you donkey Tongue

but self built derv exhausts are full of win

Haha, yeah Blush good point!

Thanks given by:
Would a 2.5 - 3" straight through make much difference to a standard size straight through? Not just performance but noise too?
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 12:42 PM)Bananalad Wrote: Would a 2.5 - 3" straight through make much difference to a standard size straight through? Not just performance but noise too?

2.5" isnt really a restriction until 500bhp Tongue but 3" = droney i found out with my mr2 turbo

http://www.koracing.net/viewarticle.php?article=7

Good job Johnny !
Thanks given by:
^^ Turbo Diesel is a whole other kettle of fish...

Turbo Petrol youre running afrs of 10:1 at Max power, Turbo DI Diesel make that 18:1 to be extra clean burning... That's 80% more air in and out at the same RPMs... When you consider you're doing that at 4000rpm, you need massive pipes to get the air in and out at lower velocities without restriction...

Precisely why a 90hp diesel has a better flowing exhaust system than a 167hp petrol...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Yeah what Ruan said. The point an exhaust starts becoming a restriction on these cars is really low even though they are a 2.25" bore standard. IMO Although even a standard car will see a gain with a better system they become a real restriction at stage 1 map levels, like 5bhp maybe more. On a 150-160bhp car a hand built 2.25 with proper bends and silencers will just about be fine but thats the limit id want to run and most people if they are gonna build one will run 2.5" just to make sure. 3" is probably overkill even on the fastest HDis but for the sake of maybe £30 extra it sounds awesome. Because they rev so low on the motorway they don't tend to become droney.
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 03:55 PM)Ruan Wrote: Petroli Turbo wewe ni mbio afrs ya saa 10:01 Max nguvu, Turbo DI Diesel kufanya 18:01 kuwa na ziada safi kuungua ... Hiyo ni 80% zaidi hewa ndani na nje katika RPMs huo ... Wakati wewe kufikiria wewe ni kufanya kwamba katika 4000rpm, unahitaji mabomba mkubwa ili kupata hewa ndani na nje katika velocities chini bila kizuizi ...

Just nini dizeli 90hp ina bora inapita mfumo wa kutolea nje zaidi ya petroli 167hp ...

As far as im concerned your post may aswell say this ruan

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Mines certainly nice with a cherrybomb, I think its because the bomb is really raspy and it counteracts against it being boomy

Thanks given by:
I should probably replace my POS exhaust at some point. I even have an ally elbow at the end where it meets the smoke stack. Because i'm cool like that.

Standard mangled to shit exhaust FTMFW.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Quite an overwhelming response, cheers everyone Smile

Serious (not quite sure what serious means as there are people on here running 200+ bhp HDis lol!) tuning isn't really my interest at the moment, power can wait till after I've finished the other things like coilovers, different alloys etc.

So I think my best bet would probably be to just wait till I've done all that and can invest in a proper system, no point spending the money on a restrictive bit of kit just to find it inhibits the performance of the tuned car and having to be replaced by the system I could have gone for in the first place!

Also the Mongoose HDi systems are popping up on eBay for £260, T304 stainless steel I believe anyone know anything about those?

Thanks Smile
Thanks given by:
Mongoose is a well-known name and ive only heard good things, seems a decent price too.

If you do hold off for the moment at least sort a decat, you can pick one up for 30 quid and it makes the biggest difference to the drive for the money imo.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
That mongoose system looks really good for the money, good brand and only £50 more than a hoffman mild steel system. Its proper stainless and not crush bends so should be good.

My only issues would be asking what diameter the actual pipe is as it looks quite small. If the tail pipe is 3.5" it makes the pipe only look like 2". Also the back box doesn't look like a straight through type, looks like its the sort with a large squiggle of pipe inside or is baffled and if its baffled i really wouldn't bother.
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2013, 10:43 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: That mongoose system looks really good for the money, good brand and only £50 more than a hoffman mild steel system. Its proper stainless and not crush bends so should be good.

My only issues would be asking what diameter the actual pipe is as it looks quite small. If the tail pipe is 3.5" it makes the pipe only look like 2". Also the back box doesn't look like a straight through type, looks like its the sort with a large squiggle of pipe inside or is baffled and if its baffled i really wouldn't bother.

Now you say that the main section does look rather 'skinny' compared to the tailpipe!

A member on here has his Hoffman decat/centre section and stainless backbox for sale I think, messaged him asking his price so if its reasonable I might pick it up as a sort of 'stop-gap' just for a bit of noise Big Grin
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  stainless steel exhausts procta 8 1,778 02-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Kezzieboy
  Estate Exhausts LewisG 5 1,651 07-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Razorback_Rob
  Turbo Back Exhausts? JTaylor2005 7 1,827 07-11-2014, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Poodle