Gti6 idle issue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti6 idle issue
I had endless problems with my ICV, did all the cleaning and fettling known to man.

In the end i got another one and its been fine since Smile (i also had high RPM idling too)

Its a right bugger though..
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Try unplugging the TPS and see what it does. Let us know.

I had a similar problem with mine, and your situation is mirroring mine. Spent aaages cleaning ICV's and couldn't get it working for love nor money. TPS is on the bottom of the Throttle Body (the butterfly operates it)

Let us know what happens Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Well chaps iv put a new icv in the car today. The car is now idling correctly again thank god. But the other random cutting out issue still remains lol any more ideas?
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2013, 03:59 PM)Grant Wrote: Try unplugging the TPS and see what it does. Let us know.

I had a similar problem with mine, and your situation is mirroring mine. Spent aaages cleaning ICV's and couldn't get it working for love nor money. TPS is on the bottom of the Throttle Body (the butterfly operates it)

Let us know what happens Smile
I'll give it a try. What can I expect to happen when I unplug this TPS?
Thanks given by:
All hell to break loose!

Lol nah it should struggle to fire, could not rev past 2k and the rev limiter to kick in at about 2k also. If nothing changes when you unplug it then you could have your answer there. Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Hey folks thanks for all your advice over the last week or so. Iv been driving the car around for a day or so and the new icv seem to have made the car idle nicely now, however it still drops revs and cuts out from time to time when you are parking up or in traffic I'm giving some redex ago in case the fuel line is dirty or something. Got any more ideas?
Thanks given by:
my 6 would randomly stick on high tickover
turned out to be the butterfly loose on the throttle shaft Wink
Thanks given by:
(04-07-2013, 09:06 AM)cully Wrote: my 6 would randomly stick on high tickover
turned out to be the butterfly loose on the throttle shaft Wink

I can't remember how it's assembled, are there two fixings on the shaft? Do the heads face the manifold or the outside?
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
the shaft is split with the butterfly in the split/ two philips screws heads face filtered side the outside/into the threaded shaft /no nuts / Wink
Thanks given by:
Nice, should be able to check them without removing the whole TB then.

I've just bought a new ICV and it's still not as perfect as it should be/almost stalls every now and then, going to give that a look when I cba.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
These gti6 sure do love to have little niggley issues. My little 1.4 Bianca just runs perfect every time. Hard to choose between the speed and coolness of the gti or the reliabilty of Bianca lol
Thanks given by:
Gti6 is worth every pissy problem it throws at you Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2013, 02:31 PM)Puggie Wrote: Gti6 is worth every pissy problem it throws at you Big Grin

This

Anyway, tbh they are a really reliable engine providing service routines are stuck to. Only common issues i can think of are ICVs and map sensors.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Erratic idle GTi6 rocker8742 18 3,435 02-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Last Post: PocketFighter
  Idle issue. luke89 2 1,024 14-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Last Post: xudlingo
  Gti6 idling issue kentiiboii 10 2,161 11-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Last Post: kentiiboii