Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Double-stock HDi - On hold pending removal of thumb from arse
(14-02-2014, 11:00 PM)Uberderv Wrote: Looks good Poodle. It doesn't matter how long it takes or how much it costs, as long as of works Smile Some nice Gubbins there..

Absolutely, just goes to show what you can do for pocket money. Here's to hoping it works lol! Confused

(14-02-2014, 11:13 PM)c.gerrard Wrote: £123.85!!!!

I have much to learn.

Teach me.

Well come down to visit already and i shall! Tongue

(16-02-2014, 11:18 AM)lolsteve Wrote: That intercooler looks tiny! whats happening with the one on there now?

It is quite small, i think the huge inlets (~60mm id) make it look smaller than it is, but it'll flow a hell of a lot more than the one that's on atm. Current one will be coming off as it's nowhere near big enough internally, i'm hoping i'll only need the one cooler as the turbos should be running well within their efficiency bands. Probably end up selling the current install as a whole, it's quite neat if you don't mind taking a chunk out of the slam panel.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
May have bought a slightly more hardcore intercooler. ninja

On more boring news, she still seem to be averaging over 50mpg, despite the crap weather, winter tyres and dead maf. Going to change the tracking settings a touch, sort a bigger exhaust, get a good maf on there, change back to my summer wheels and fit the refreshed pre-heater unit. Oh, and put some gearbox oil in, as a persistent whining leads me to suspect mine may have been leaking... Doh Hopefully that'll see a good rise in mpg, i know you can barely contain yourselves waiting for the results, so i'll be sure to keep you all well informed.

Luckily enough i've got another box to go on with the new engine build (thanks Toms306!), to which i'll now be mating a lovely helix paddle kit, courtesy of Dum-Dum. The cost of the clutch was the one thing holding the whole engine build back, so now it's sorted we'll be ready to set too by the time we get back from the Nurburgring trip. Oh and i got the Avos back btw, and oooooo are they shiny, they went and anodised the spring collars for me too. Inlove They'll be going back on the car before the trip, as will a less conspicuous bonnet.

Shiny:

[attachment=14119]
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Shiny shiny Big Grin
Thanks given by:
yeah, you are guna want a bigger intercooler.

glad to see the GT1749 will be destined for its original purpose, I was guna compound it...so FYIL it has Ruans personal approval.

This will be epic buddy!

where did you get your sensor plate from?

Got Mani pressure gauges and sensors sorted??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
The size of it shouldn't be an issue - bmw manage to get 282bhp worth of air through it in standard tune and the compound system should be efficient enough it barely needs intercooling. However, i came across a bloke who'd blown the end tanks off his 330d cooler at ~28psi, which could be awkward since i'm planning on running 30 lol.

Haha i guessed as much, couldn't see you downsizing from a gt20 somehow, you've got far more sense than that. lol Good to know, the TD05 never got official approval from mr turbo unfortunately, but he tried to poke lots of holes in the idea and never found anything concrete, which i take as encouraging lol.

Sensor plate was a super-cheap one off ebay, you can really tell when you look closely too. Confused Should do the job though, will be cleaning up the burrs and threads before it goes on.

I've got a gauge that'll read high enough for EMP, but it's mechanical so i'll be fitting a long coil of brake line before it comes into the cabin lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
How odd I miss this thread, mucho excited !!
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
This looks promising!
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Can't wait for the mpg results! lol
Thanks given by:
So did you say car weekend at yours fitting the clutch and box? Tongue
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Cheers guys. Smile

Me too, Tom!

Weekend? We could do the lot in a weekend, i'm game if you are lol! First i need to borrow your engine stand. :p
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'll start with the exciting news, first two full tanks worth with a dead maf have resulted in less than 50mpg!! Who would have guessed eh, she's still doing ~47 which isn't awful I guess. Have put on a spare maf I had kicking about in the garage, will test whether it's any good later and post the results when I put pictures up.

In other news, i've achieved pretty much nothing with regards to my 'ring trip goals. I have mamaged to sell my fmic install however, so on Sunday mattgreene joined Jonny and I swapping it all over onto his and replacing it with the forge cooler and some beefier piping. The new routing meant I couldn't use the standard airbox, so we removed that and immediately developed a new theory as to why the maf died so suddenly, more on that later... It does mean I was forced to install my nice BMC CDA; that, my orange cooler hoses and Jonny's anal retentivity means my engine bay is looking slightly shiny for the first time ever! I insisted on keeping the maf in, so Jonny got creative with some silicone, some woodscrews and a blowtorch to make it fit lol.

Been a bit short on shinies compared to recent months, so not much to show off in terms of exciting parcels. Did have my pile of bits from bigg red turn up, so can crack on with rebuilding the rear calipers this week. Otherwise i'm painfully aware of how little time is left to prepare for the coming road trip, for which I have currently done a total of sweet fa. Confused Here's to hoping there's enough hours left in the day...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Whats your list for the ring currently standing at?
Thanks given by:
Just the essentials:

Service
Finish building flatbed
Refurb and fit rear calipers
New exhaust
Fit AVOs and new top mounts and drop links
Possibly new turbo, will see how she goes with thicker oil first lol

Discovered one of two things on the way home: either my spare maf is barely better than the old one; or my new airbox is more restrictive than the old one, a lot more lol. Still, picks up better than it did without a maf at all, so we'll call that a win. While we're no the subject, i promised i'd show you what happened to the last one, well here you go:

[attachment=14597]

The eagle-eyed among you may have noticed that is, in fact, not the maf (give yourselves a pat on the back). However, it is the thing that protects the maf from the outside world - sticks, leaves, small children, you know the sort. That whole anal rose thing it's got going on is actually a hole that's been sucked through it, i think it may have got a bit clogged lol! Tbf i'd only done 20k or so on it, guidance is 30k. Take note boys and girls, modified HDis need a shit-ton of air, so changing the air filter every 10k probably isn't excessive!

My new intercooler install:

[attachment=14596]
[attachment=14595]

And my old install going on to Matt's car:

[attachment=14599]
[attachment=14600]
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Did matts car get the special poodle spec bonnet mod?
Thanks given by:
Lol thankfully not, we swapped a few bits about to try and get a better fit for him.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Good news this is still game for a challenge ! Will you be driving this to zachs?

Thanks given by:
Yeah i will, madam is fairly possessive of her little 205 lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ha ha, does she check the mileage and fuel level ? lol

Thanks given by:
Unfortunately yes, as the fuel gauge doesn't work. Rofl
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Just disconnect the speedo and learn to gauge the speed by the rev counter lmao

Thanks given by:
We already do that; the speedo is a free spirit and prefers to wave cheerily at anyone watching rather than attend to the boring business of reporting road speed. lol I'll have to sneak her out to a meet some day soon.

Calipers are rebuilt and flatbed is complete, very glad of it I am too, the various chunks of wood and cloud nine have been blocking up the conservatory for months lol. Remembered I need a new headunit too, as my current one doesn't work with the aux lead or mp3 cds, which would have limited my music options somewhat in Europe. :S Bought Matt's old unit, will fit that next week. Reckon i'll bolt my old sony stereo speakers to the flatbed to replace the knackered parcel shelf too.

Going up to Wrexham this weekend to visit my brother, so unlikely to get much useful done. Missus tells me we're visiting some heritage site and going for a walk... Personally I reckon we'll end up spending the day in the garage supercharging his e36. Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Pics?
Thanks given by:
(10-04-2014, 11:02 AM)Poodle Wrote: Missus tells me we're visiting some heritage site and going for a walk...

I am SO jealous... lol

I will hopefully be collecting MYA from Zach Saturday Smile. I sprayed the inside/outside of the c pillar with spray hammerite & waxoil Smile.

Thank you thank you for repairing her Smile. Your apple juice is in the car, I will get that to you Smile

Oh and pics of your brothers car Smile

Thanks given by:
I'll get pics sorted when i get a spare moment, have actually taken some believe it or not! lol

New headunit's in, flatbed speakers are installed and sorted out the wiring for it all. Also helped my brother service the z3, which is coming to the 'ring with us.

All that's left to do on mine now is service, tensioners and rear pads. Well, there's a ton of other stuff i would have liked to do, but there's only so many hours in the day lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Lol what's on the to do list?
Thanks given by:
Brake ducting, braided lines, dot5.1 fluid, custom bucket seats, cold air feed, rear wiper, decent bonnet, replace grill and hockey sticks, decent front bumper, fit and wire in slim-line radiator fan, replace turbo, new thermostat, replace coolant pre-heater, gearbox and driveshaft oil seals, all engine mounts... Not the end of the list, but you get the idea. And yes, that's all just what i'd like to have got done before the nurburgring. Rofl

Right, pictures!

[attachment=15434]
[attachment=15435]
[attachment=15436]
[attachment=15438]
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Not sure how I missed the compound goodness, but good to see you cracking on with it! Get her fabbed up Smile
Thanks given by:
that bmw looks promising Smile

the small to-do list as well Smile

Thanks given by:
Got any cloud 9 left you wanna sell.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom, enjoying the fabbing tbh, not something i've done much of before.

I've got some left, but I think jonny's called dibs, will get back to you on that.

Realised I forgot to mention the full suspension rebuild, now that really does have to done pre-trip, sod doing it on TAs lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "stock" S16 project Jonny81191 44 12,459 14-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Last Post: procta