spring change nightmare

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spring change nightmare
Smile 
Alright guys changing the springs on my 6 seen as I broke one into 3 pieces. And had the problem of getting the anti roll bar push rods off. Two bolts to hack off and seem to take forever' oh how I love the French car technology, anyhow got that sorted then after beating the strut apart from the wish bone and new springs in place bolted the top strut back in but the problem now is getting the bottom back into its seating/collar. Seems tight, tried to use the jack on the disk/wishbone to jack it back in but it just compresses the strut/spring. Do I need to wedge the collar open more or something as I did to beat it off. Or is there any other tips anyone else has. Any help would be great. Cheers guys
Thanks given by:
Open up the collar a bit, and make sure the locating pin is in the right place....

Then stick a jack under it and 'tap' it with a hammer and it should drop back in.
Thanks given by:
Moved.

As said, open it up some more. Also sand it and the strut down to make it a bit easier, bit of copper slip should help and will aid removal next time.
Thanks given by:
OK thanks will have to give it another go tomorrow. What's the preferred methood to open it up more, just by wedging something in there to prise it apart type thing
Thanks given by:
Smash a chisel in the gap put a bit of tension on the bottom ball joint a d try wiggle the hub and it will drop in
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Round wire brush on a drill and clean the hub right out the copper slick it.

Then put the jack under it. A little bit of tension with the jack at a time. Feet on the bottom of the disc and push ib wilts pulling the top of the disc . It will drop slightly. So jack it up a bit more and repeat untill its all the way in.

The key is to jack it on the ball joint. (not the disc).and do it abit at a time and not jack it right up and put loads of tension it in one go.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
tapping the hub too helps
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
long thin fox wedge and tap it down the slot will open up the clamp so much easyer than a screwdriver Wink
Thanks given by:
I have always found a crowbar very useful for opening up that clamp, they slip in easy and you get a nice lot of leverage.

never had any luck with anything else, and Ive spent ages before with a wedge / hammer, jack under bottom ball joint with no joy.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Siezed Coilover Nightmare... mspdan 1 938 03-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Jimbo
  what a nightmare! :( squarepants 12 2,390 05-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  Guide: Front Suspension / Spring / Coilover change ginge191 8 4,380 22-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Atterz