engine/wiring loom help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
engine/wiring loom help
just a quick question was looking to buy a 1.9 straight diesel 306 the timing is slipped on it and i have a 406 1.9 turbo diesel , and wanted to swap engines but will the wiring loom s be the same
[Image: 13073041_458228241037318_1249062425_o_zpsoh6qf7gu.jpg]
Thanks given by:
sure the loom is plug and play in the on the chassis leg

Thanks given by:
Remember the 406 has a semi ecu controlled pump for timing advance etc so you might be better off changing it for a 306 dt pump before it goes in rather than getting it to work with the ecu
[Image: Image423_zps1ac08bc4-1_zps15c76431.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2013, 11:43 AM)Mal Wrote: Remember the 406 has a semi ecu controlled pump for timing advance etc so you might be better off changing it for a 306 dt pump before it goes in rather than getting it to work with the ecu

Not all of them, only the later ones. Pump in my old car was off a 406.
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2013, 12:07 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Not all of them, only the later ones. Pump in my old car was off a 406.

Yep, conveniently forgot that part.... Blush

Cars made in 96 should be grand. So some very early registered 1997 cars should be safe too
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2013, 05:05 PM)Mal Wrote:
(10-06-2013, 12:07 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Not all of them, only the later ones. Pump in my old car was off a 406.

Yep, conveniently forgot that part.... Blush

Cars made in 96 should be grand. So some very early registered 1997 cars should be safe too

Can you explain more about the ecu controlled pump?
Is it easily identifyable with extra wiring to it etc
Only asking as the replacement engine and pump in my zx is from a '97 306 td, it had an extra blue plug on the pump which is not used with the zx loom.
Car runs great but very occasionally cuts out when on boost at fairly high revs, always restarts without issue but was always curious about the extra wiring to the pump?
Sorry for the thread hijack.
David
Thanks given by:
If it's from a 306, and that pump was on the car from the factory, it won't be the ECU type.
Thanks given by:
(11-06-2013, 09:52 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: If it's from a 306, and that pump was on the car from the factory, it won't be the ECU type.

Thankyou for the info, was just curious more than anything.
Regards
Thanks given by:
(11-06-2013, 09:22 AM)Zippy121 Wrote: Can you explain more about the ecu controlled pump?
Is it easily identifyable with extra wiring to it etc
Only asking as the replacement engine and pump in my zx is from a '97 306 td, it had an extra blue plug on the pump which is not used with the zx loom.
Car runs great but very occasionally cuts out when on boost at fairly high revs, always restarts without issue but was always curious about the extra wiring to the pump?
Sorry for the thread hijack.
David

If the pump is from a 306 it'll be the non ECU type. Easy to tell apart, here's one I made for my 406, note the piece that sits on top of the throttle arm (cannot remember what it's called it has a plug) a 306 pump won't have it
[Image: Image531.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I see, radically different and i guess a Bosch pump?
the part youve described looks like a throttle position sensor to me which makes sense with it having an ecu control.
My pump does although have a blue plug (unused on my install) which operated a small micro switch (again unused) and is a Lucas pump.
Thanks again, very interesting.
David
Thanks given by:
(11-06-2013, 05:25 PM)Zippy121 Wrote: I see, radically different and i guess a Bosch pump?
the part youve described looks like a throttle position sensor to me which makes sense with it having an ecu control.
My pump does although have a blue plug (unused on my install) which operated a small micro switch (again unused) and is a Lucas pump.
Thanks again, very interesting.
David

Potentiometer! That's the part Smile

I read on here somewhere that the internals are slightly different in regards the diesel channels for the timing piston and that converting one to the other generally won't work ie slapping a potentiometer on a mech pump and expecting it to work!

I'm in 2 minds whether to convert my 406 to full mech or not. If I get a pump cheap I will but the system works well at the mo and I have lots of spare ECUs if one gives up the ghost

The ECU pump will work without the ECU but the car will be as flat as a witches tit to drive, clatter into oblivion and coal like a train due to going into fully advanced timing. I've tried it....!
Thanks given by:
I take it that I non ecu pump is more tuneable then and is this why you want to bin the ecu?
I'm still finding my feet with diesel engines as the Volcane was bought as a second car for work duties.
That was five and a half years ago!
Had to do an engine swap due to an incident with a large expanse of water in Wales, don't ask..
So I just have to sort this niggle with the odd cutting out problem then I may start to tweak things :-)
Thanks given by:
The 306 doesn't have the facilities for the ECU pump, there is no wiring hence why everyone is warned off buying one instead of just removing the ECU stuff.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  xud wiring loom (what fits) jpderv 4 1,747 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Last Post: jpderv
  Engine loom cwspellowe 29 3,957 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Last Post: darrenjlobb