MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
(25-01-2015, 09:41 PM)lolsteve Wrote: This was from the zs friend. What adjuster? There's only a auto tensioner that you put a 13(?)mm socket over and rotate to slack the belt off

Also unipart stuff any good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ROVER-200-2...1e679a3b55

some of them may not have that, if it snaps off, I will have to get a few photos of how mine is done. Might be different on the Rover 200s,

I have twigged on these have air con don't they?
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 10:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Another cheap blue ZR near me btw....  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-mgzr-/111...19fa6ce33d

Think all the blue ones must've come down here lol.

hes after a mk2 or whatever though with the all in one headlights. Apparently silver is more manly and grown up than blue...
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 10:17 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Another cheap blue ZR near me btw....  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-mgzr-/111...19fa6ce33d

Think all the blue ones must've come down here lol.

tbh tom, the 1.4s are as common as shite in these, the 1.6/1.8 and vvcs are rarer. That might get snapped up to reshell a 160 racer, as that's what most of the lads do now, They used to race the 1.4 posh rover in the metro cup in Class A, but that's now been dropped, and most of the ZR class racers end up taking their car into the 160 class.
Mind Rovers a cheap little projects mind, Depending on what rover you get hold of, Mine was 10 years ago when they were plenty about, even the wedge shape ones were too. Now these maybe the only rovers that have a good spares backing, as these had a bloody good run for their money! also more selection of performance upgrades.
A lot of car really for less money, They are nippy cars I will give them that, but they are not as fast as people make them out to be sadly, T series powered one are mind, that's what you do to these, don't bother pissing about with the k series in a shell that's heavy.  
Thanks given by:
Big thanks to jammapic for going to get this on a questionable trailer causing a 4 hour round trip lol . Owe you big time for this

With a jump pack on she fired straight up and we drove it onto and off the trailer smooth as anything. Going down on Friday to start the surgery of swapping the goodies over and getting it MOT'd for use as the new daily
Very excited to get to work on it especially in a nice dry environment rather than having to do drive way mechanics

Procta the T series will just make the front end heavy resulting in a heavy car and engine. would have thought you of all people would have been against the idea of extra weight
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
steve I been in one of these that had a T series in, and it was wound up to about 230 bhp. It was f*cking vicious!
so in away if you want these to move, turbo it!
Thanks given by:
Looks very clean steve

Is this the one with the big scratch on it?

Are you going to strip the rear out like on the blue one.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 01:37 PM)7057sam Wrote: Looks very clean steve

Is this the one with the big scratch on it?  

Are you going to strip the rear out like on the blue one.

I think he just going to swop over the good bits over on this one, and give the blue on the elbow, for me id have kept the blue one and gutted this one, as the build quality on last batch of these, well anything from the 53 plate, are badly built.
Thanks given by:
A couple of pics I took from our salvage mission...

[Image: IMG_20150127_222642181_zpse3a71fc8.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150127_225536062_zpslggwddqb.jpg]

I'm going down to the unit in a minute, so will make a start.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Good to see youve got it home and all is well! Big Grin Ive got some serious catch up if we are to compete at Combe this year let alone spring action day!
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2015, 12:08 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Good to see youve got it home and all is well! Big Grin Ive got some serious catch up if we are to compete at Combe this year let alone spring action day!

yeah you will need to re body yours and get out there and do battle!
Thanks given by:
New mg has mot and is on the road Big Grin
no advisories which good Big Grin

Feel guilty for letting bluey down even more so when I decided to hit the roof and the bog collapsed so the shell is totally ducked

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
pm me about the shell and I can ask a few lads if they are interested in it for the mgcc
Thanks given by:
I will also back up the idea of a t series.

Drove a rather well known black one with a bit of work, filly stripped and caged with a torsen type b diff, was an exciting drive tbh.

It done santa pod etc, I think theres pics of it on the Internet somewhere.

Cars looking well nice to see the work going into it.
Thanks given by:
So bluey has been to be quite honest savagely ripped apart which hurt but needs must and I'd be dammed if i was going to let her go without taking the engine and the goodies to share with the mk2.
So far I've transferred some nice little bits like bonnet lining, sound deadening, headlight bulbs, some not so rusty bolts, rear boot carpet with sound deadening, strut brace.

Need to get the rear anti roll bar off along with the backbox however being rover they've seized solid so ordered a nut splitter to help sort that out 

Driving the Mk2 back from James unit on sunday helped cheered me up as although it pulls really badly to the left lol the suspension is alot more comfortable than bluey ever was which makes me think perhaps something was never quite right with it hence the bouncing/harsh suspension. The engine seems to pull quite well as well despite having a heavily blowing exhaust and being totally stock (which we'll soon rectify) this makes me think that perhaps no matter what Bluey was just never destined to perform the way it should which is as sad as it is comforting 

The mk2 needs alot of cleaning up as it's still rocking all the 18 month grim inside and out along with being a bit rusty underneath. Hopefully will get out the underseal soon to save her.

In regards to build quality it's not as good as bluey but by no means as bad as people make them out to be. Perhaps I got lucky but everything seems to be as it should.

Just need a set of new tyres now as it's got some lovley mismatches on each corner ranging from a Avon to a Autogrip.

Thanks given by:
This was me last year wasn't it, with the gta 16v, 6 years of building it and then dismantled and gone with in a month!
it does show you, when you have same car beside, The little differences and what was wrong.
At least bluey and my gta are keeping two cars on the road for another fare few years to come, also I think my old metro and bluey were the same, no matter what we did, we couldn't get them to work right. But with the new shells looks like we are back on the money again! Looks like this year could be a big year for us two with mods wise, Mines going really take off this year! I am looking forward into launching my new setup!
Just a shame another Rover dies really, also one less ZR160 on the road, and also one less gta 16v on the road now.
But we must pull forwards!
Thanks given by:
If I was to search metro and procta, would I find that you've mentioned it in some way in every post you've ever made on this site??

Steve, looks good. Take your time and do it right. Smile
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2015, 08:46 PM)C2K Wrote: If I was to search metro and procta, would I find that you've mentioned it in some way in every post you've ever made on this site??

Procta has a metro? 

Said nobody ever because we are all well aware...
Thanks given by:
glad to see its going to plan (kinda)

have you fitted your coilovers yet? Bluey looks very aged next to the mark 2,definitely like the looks more on the mark 2.

Are you staying with nankang ??
Thanks given by:
(02-02-2015, 08:46 PM)C2K Wrote: If I was to search metro and procta, would I find that you've mentioned it in some way in every post you've ever made on this site??

(02-02-2015, 09:23 PM)Eeyore Wrote:

Procta has a metro? 

Said nobody ever because we are all well aware...

well procta can make a few changes if you two like Tongue 

Mind when the later rovers came out with the new front ends, getting the replacement front bumpers and rear bumpers were a nightmare, as I don't think there was enough of spares made, due to these been pulled in mid production, A lot of the ZR160 racers use the Mk1 front ends rather than the Mk2 fronts,
Thanks given by:
I've been looking at Spec 2's , seems one of those tyres that 50% rate and 50% hate. The nanaknags are still on bluey and have still very good tread on them but the alloys on the mk2 are in better condition even though its tyres are ballsed. However spec2 s apparently are very good in the dry so would be nice for combe to have some traction and I would buy better but once again it's that time where lots of money going out and not much coming in so compromise has to be made. 

Coilovers are still in my room in pieces the dust boots I ordered arrived yesterday however they don't quite fit so thats a waste, any ideas on how to make the rubbery plsastic stuff stretchy? I tried soaking in hot water which kind of helped but not enough. 

Mk2 is definitely fresher looking, electric popping boot and reverse sensors are also a nice touch. Dash seems more modern and I finally after 5 years of driving own a car with cup holders! It's been the one thing I've wanted for years and now I finally got 5 of them Big Grin 

Thanks given by:
That's crap, did you buy them specifically for your coilies, or are they generic one-size-fits-f*ck-all?

Personally i'd keep your nankangs for road use and put some second-hand track tyres on your old alloys for track days. Seems little point in buying £500 worth of tyres specifically for the 20 minutes you spend on track about 5 times a year at shows, would be better off and quicker for spending the same money on driving lessons imo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Generic one size fits nothing, going to cut them up a bit so it sits above the bump stop. won't give as much protection as I'd hoped but hopefully more than nothing. Although it won't protect the lower part which is where I'd want the full seal. Would it work below the bump stop? Would like to figure it out now without putting it all on the car to take off to put back on etc

Well here's the thing, I have 3 sets of alloys at the moment.
Set 1: 17s On the mk2 , good condition alloys but with budgets/shit tyres
Set 2: 17s On bluey, bad condition alloys but with good tread on the nankangs
Set 3: 16s (hairpins like on the rover 214) in my study, good condition alloys with PE3's on not legal tread. Was keeping for possible track use.

Ideally would like the kangs on the good condition 17s and send bluey off with the budget tyres and dirty alloys. However seems a waste of money/effort to go through all that to still have kangs

Thanks given by:
just work with what you have... put the good tyres on the good wheels.... done.
Thanks given by:
Going to see if I can get a set of slightly used dunlop sport maxx. Reviews arnt the best but they got to better than what used to

Thanks given by:
What size are you running ?

I fancy some ebay/gumtree prowling Smile
Thanks given by:
205 45/40 17s

Seller has accepted offer of 150 for all 4 which tbh sounds pretty good . Ebay no 311273239216

Thanks given by:
Picked up the dunlops today and did a oil flush and change got some proper chunky bits out of the oil .

Tyres seem pretty good Big Grin seller apparently had a load of them from a skoda dealership. The dealers were just replacing tyres regardless of the wear so they're pretty fresh Smile

Thanks given by:
Replacing tyres regardless of wear!? Sounds like a main dealer! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
(06-02-2015, 07:14 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Picked up the dunlops today and did a oil flush and change got some proper chunky bits out of the oil .

Tyres seem pretty good Big Grin seller apparently had a load of them from a skoda dealership. The dealers were just replacing tyres regardless of the wear so they're pretty fresh Smile

That's a great find Smile I'm starting to look around for some tyres for track use. I got some semi slicks for free
Thanks given by:
Yea hopefully these will be a better daily/track session use tyre than the nankangs which despite all the abuse held together pretty well and still have loads of tread left.
Good job on getting some semi slicks for free Big Grin
Just ebay hunt, these were up for £45 each so I just made a cheeky offer of 150 thinking he'd say nah and just countered the offer with his phone number so as to avoid ebay fees Wink

Tom is does sound quite dickish a thing to do, would assume its maybe a finance car thing. Reading reviews of these dunlops suggests theyre the standard tyre on some Vag stuff

Thanks given by: