MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
to join in with the off topic discussion, not a fan of the zt but do like the sound of a v8

Had a bit of a scare today, drove it into town and while in traffic realised there was quite a strong scent of petrol. Stopping off at asda on the way back after confirming the smell was from my car showed that the fuel rail connection was dripping petrol at a fair rate. Taking it apart showed the rubber o ring was mashed, must have damaged it when reassembling. After 20 mins of worrying after reading it wasn't a common size and a rover only product and not being able to find the size in the motorfactors Dad came out to the rescue with his plumbing o rings. While we had the right diameter the thickness was a bit off so the solution was stick two together and bung it in, bish bash bosh no more leaks.

For reference the part in question is number 2

[Image: GRID001371.gif]
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
ah the old mighty rubber o ring! I have these go on me many a time, what happens is that these snag or get a nick in and they fail. you can get them from rimmer bros for pennies. As I bought a couple.
what you need to do when refitting them is lube them up with petrol and slide if in place and take care when installing the pipe into the fuel rail, I found I had a damaged fuel rail, so the rubber ring was getting damaged. I bough a injection rail with injectors, so that cured the problem.
Thanks given by:
So then Steve...does it feel like there are more horses in the stable now ??
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2014, 06:17 PM)procta Wrote: ah the old mighty rubber o ring...
Yea the o ring was a bit damaged, think it was from when i kind of jammed it back in and used the screws to pull it into place. maybe got snagged or something?
No one mentioned these on the headgasket guides until afterwards with people going "oh dear im leaking fuel". Think i'll do as you did though and get a proper one not sure I want to test how long these plumber ones want to last

(11-07-2014, 07:47 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: So then Steve...does it feel like there are more horses in the stable now ??
Err can't say yet haven't gone over 5k rpm to test the top end. but it does seem to down shift smoother now unless that's in my mind.
Guess the real test will be at pugfest Big Grin

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
you may find that it will last a few days if that, some people say they work ok, but Id just go with buying the proper unit, i will have to find out if i have a spare somewhere.
As they are the same for the injectors.
Thanks given by:
Ah O rings, one of my favourite things in the world after 306 lower rad connections and heater matrix joints.
Thanks given by:
(11-07-2014, 10:38 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Ah O rings, one of my favourite things in the world after 306 lower rad connections and heater matrix joints.

Lol this.

Absolute nightmares.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Challenger space shuttle anyone?
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Oh fucksake man just go and give it some shit so we know if its fixed! lol Im dieing to know!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2014, 09:38 PM)Tom Wrote: Oh fucksake man just go and give it some shit so we know if its fixed! lol Im dieing to know!

Sat next to Steve now, we're sat in a field in Prescott hill, the car is in the car park and got here on it's own steam..
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2014, 09:50 PM)ginge191 Wrote: the car is in the car park and got here on it's own steam..

Lol not sure thats the word he wants to hear!
Thanks given by:
We know it drives, want to know if its got its horseys back!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(12-07-2014, 09:50 PM)ginge191 Wrote: Sat next to Steve now, we're sat in a field in Prescott hill, the car is in the car park and got here on it's own steam..

But is it going UP the hill ?
Thanks given by:
It went up the hill 5 times Big Grin The only thing letting it down was tyres and the driver Blush so need to work on that

Going to go back over some bits in the engine bay making sure it's all still tight after a bit of a scare on my first hill run with a flashing battery light, the source being the nut holding on the alternator ground cable being only just on. Along with some loose cambelt covers I feel I should check it all over before something drops off.

In regards to power I can't say for certain as it doesn't feel like a completely different car on day to day driving which is somewhat disappointing. But it did do the hill climb about 4 seconds faster this year so that might be something.
Knowing the engine is now healthy means I can commit to sourcing power rather than before where I would be masking it

Thanks given by:
Sempt to run well yesterday mate ill badger jenks about this rr day
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Sorry you couldn't come on Danny just didn't occur to me about the wrist band thing at all Sad
Let us know what happens with the RR day and your drift plans Tongue

Thanks given by:
Someone had a spare so just slapped it on and jumped in a few cars

Don't think marshals was best pleased with me jumping over fence and getting in kyles car lol

Time to invest in some good rubber for mg?

Bought some shinies I probably shouldn't have but all in aid of sideways action

Got a link to that camera too mate?

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 10:19 AM)lolsteve Wrote: It went up the hill 5 times Big Grin The only thing letting it down was tyres and the driver Blush so need to work on that

Going to go back over some bits in the engine bay making sure it's all still tight after a bit of a scare on my first hill run with a flashing battery light, the source being the nut holding on the alternator ground cable being only just on. Along with some loose cambelt covers I feel I should check it all over before something drops off.

In regards to power I can't say for certain as it doesn't feel like a completely different car on day to day driving which is somewhat disappointing. But it did do the hill climb about 4 seconds faster this year so that might be something.
Knowing the engine is now healthy means I can commit to sourcing power rather than before where I would be masking it

yeah you have to make sure all is well, i am going over my replacement of the proper rover, to make sure all is well with that little sleeper.
just let things bed in and go from there,
Thanks given by:
You were doing fine up that hill mate, looked like you were over thinking it a bit, but you took a good line for the most part. Tbh the last couple of runs through pardon you were looking pretty quick. Car looked like it was going well too, any overheating or nasty noises, forgot to ask? Blush
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Like Alex says, you did well up there especially considering limited track experience and its not exactly an easy track

Shame about the puffs of white smoke though :/

Tongue
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 03:30 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Someone had a spare so just slapped it on and jumped in a few cars

Don't think marshals was best pleased with me jumping over fence and getting in kyles car lol

Time to invest in some good rubber for mg?

Bought some shinies I probably shouldn't have but all in aid of sideways action

Got a link to that camera too mate?

Haha that was funny as! I thought they was going to kick you out! :-)

didn't get to see you on track Steve cos I was always just in front or behind you, but pulling off looked great! :-)
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(14-07-2014, 03:30 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Someone had a spare...
Haha good job, those marshals were all a bit grouchy anyway
I want some good rubber but it's hard to fit some with wheels on the mg-rover sales groups
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobius-ActionC...4869298841
^from Ireland
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBIUS-ACTION-...233d1cb62c
^from china if you're wanting to wait and save a few quid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU0Sm4dIOm4
^comparison to gopro

(14-07-2014, 03:37 PM)procta Wrote: yeah you have to make sure all is well, i am going over my replacement of the proper rover, to make sure all is well with that little sleeper.
It's just the little screws and what not I'm worried about coming loose and getting caught up in something. Doesn't hurt to check it over again though Smile how is the "proper" rover?

(14-07-2014, 09:40 PM)Poodle Wrote: You were doing fine up that hill mate, looked like you were over thinking it a bit, but you took a good line for the most part. Tbh the last couple of runs through pardon you were looking pretty quick. Car looked like it was going well too, any overheating or nasty noises, forgot to ask? Blush
Just wish I'd downshifted to first at pardon, might have matched a '6 time then as second gear was about 3k rpm after pardon which meant I was waiting for the vvc to reactivate. No overheating or nasty noises though Big Grin tested it out properly on the way home with lots of stop start motorway traffic Dodgy

(14-07-2014, 09:44 PM)Niall Wrote: Like Alex says, you did well up there especially considering limited track experience and its not exactly an easy track

Tongue
You arse lol Don't be upset you pulled the same time as me
#nevergoingtoletitgo

(15-07-2014, 08:44 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: Haha that was funny as! I thought they was going to kick you out! :-)

didn't get to see you on track Steve cos I was always just in front or behind you, but pulling off looked great! :-)
Thanks man, come down to the next action day and meet me + srowell on track Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 08:59 AM)lolsteve Wrote:
(15-07-2014, 08:44 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: Haha that was funny as! I thought they was going to kick you out! :-)

Thanks man, come down to the next action day and meet me + srowell on track Big Grin

I think I have to now tbh, seriously getting the bug for more! :-)

If your looking for a camera you want the sj4000 on eBay, just like a go pro. There's some videos on youtube comparing them, they're so close in quality! :-) £62 with accessories.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I'll have a look into them cheers lads

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 08:59 AM)lolsteve Wrote:
(14-07-2014, 03:30 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: Someone had a spare...
Haha good job, those marshals were all a bit grouchy anyway
I want some good rubber but it's hard to fit some with wheels on the mg-rover sales groups
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobius-ActionC...4869298841
^from Ireland
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOBIUS-ACTION-...233d1cb62c
^from china if you're wanting to wait and save a few quid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU0Sm4dIOm4
^comparison to gopro

(14-07-2014, 03:37 PM)procta Wrote: yeah you have to make sure all is well, i am going over my replacement of the proper rover, to make sure all is well with that little sleeper.
It's just the little screws and what not I'm worried about coming loose and getting caught up in something. Doesn't hurt to check it over again though Smile how is the "proper" rover?

(14-07-2014, 09:40 PM)Poodle Wrote: You were doing fine up that hill mate, looked like you were over thinking it a bit, but you took a good line for the most part. Tbh the last couple of runs through pardon you were looking pretty quick. Car looked like it was going well too, any overheating or nasty noises, forgot to ask? Blush
Just wish I'd downshifted to first at pardon, might have matched a '6 time then as second gear was about 3k rpm after pardon which meant I was waiting for the vvc to reactivate. No overheating or nasty noises though Big Grin tested it out properly on the way home with lots of stop start motorway traffic Dodgy

(14-07-2014, 09:44 PM)Niall Wrote: Like Alex says, you did well up there especially considering limited track experience and its not exactly an easy track

Tongue
You arse lol Don't be upset you pulled the same time as me
#nevergoingtoletitgo

my proper rover is hard as nails and its built not bought too, a lot better than the gta was,
Thanks given by:
With my car being screwed i jumped in with Steve quite literally... Of course it was slow and i hated it so much I gave him the rest of my hill runs. It was actually surprisingly quick and im not sure how we survived as Steve does this thing where he turns in the corner and then suddenly adds a half turn the steering wheel D: anyway it was great fun and cant wait to battle you out on track again! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 05:41 PM)SRowell Wrote: With my car being screwed i jumped in with Steve quite literally... Of course it was slow and i hated it so much I gave him the rest of my hill runs. It was actually surprisingly quick and im not sure how we survived as Steve does this thing where he turns in the corner and then suddenly adds a half turn the steering wheel D: anyway it was great fun and cant wait to battle you out on track again! Big Grin

they are heavy things these posh rovers SRowell
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 05:59 PM)procta Wrote:
(15-07-2014, 05:41 PM)SRowell Wrote: With my car being screwed i jumped in with Steve quite literally... Of course it was slow and i hated it so much I gave him the rest of my hill runs. It was actually surprisingly quick and im not sure how we survived as Steve does this thing where he turns in the corner and then suddenly adds a half turn the steering wheel D: anyway it was great fun and cant wait to battle you out on track again! Big Grin

Yes. It seemed massive and fairly heavy but shifted well. Felt loads faster than mine. Shifting into 2nd in this was amazing. proper kick back!
Thanks given by:
(15-07-2014, 06:07 PM)SRowell Wrote:
(15-07-2014, 05:59 PM)procta Wrote:

Yes. It seemed massive and fairly heavy but shifted well. Felt loads faster than mine. Shifting into 2nd in this was amazing. proper kick back!

mind even though I wind him up about the car been heavy and posh, these engines do get under estimated, as they were very advanced for their time, compared to the other makes, all of the k series engines will rev and pull to the redline, if you think his shifted well, you want a ride in a vvc metro, as those do take off if you let them go.
Thanks given by:
Awesome, bet you're glad you took the quick and easy motorway route home eh. :p
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: