MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
(18-08-2013, 01:05 AM)Nick306td Wrote: Hay mate don't worry your not on your own I got a MGZR as well got a turbo lump in mine tho lol
Good to know Im not alone on here Smile
Is that the t series lump or turbo'd a k series?

(18-08-2013, 01:35 PM)Alee83 Wrote: Bet it still won't beat a 6...! Big Grin

I'll be seeing you on the track, or at least you'll be seeing my rear end lol
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
It'll be a t series turbo from the old rovers. Only k turbo was a low blow 1.8 in the 75 and zt but it was nothing impressive.

T series was bulletproof but not easy to get extra power from. I had a forged lump running 270 when I finished with my gsi turbo.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Yeah T16 had it a few years now changing it all over to a mark 2 at mo Smile. C2k was your Gsi green ?

Yeah it's a T16 had it a few years now just changing it over to a mark 2 Smile ...c2k was yours a green gsi ?
Thanks given by:
(18-08-2013, 01:05 AM)Nick306td Wrote: Hay mate don't worry your not on your own I got a MGZR as well got a turbo lump in mine tho lol

I have been in a T series powered Rover 200, that was well vicious, I think it was about 340 bhp, if you can get hold of the engine, steve. that's a well worthy upgrade over the Kseries engine.
Thanks given by:
Yes it was green, it's here:

[Image: 22256536.jpg]
[Image: 15112009096.jpg]

Procta, i'd call billy bullshit for 340bhp to be honest unless it has about 6-7K dropped into it, it's probably Nova maths. Mine was running forged internals, 18 psi boost, FMIC, GT28R and was approx 270. You needed to go to aftermarket management beyond that as MEMS was extrapolating the fuelling beyond 14PSI, causing it to run rich. Wideband lambda was required to ensure that you were avoiding det for sure. Some people cheated and added 5th injectors etc, but at the end of the day you're only delaying th einevitable, 300bhp was prettymuch your investment limit.

Problem with the T series is that yes, it's pretty bulletproof, but it's also a heavy ass lump of pig iron and will handle somewhat differently than a featherweight K series. Simple swap aside from the loom really.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
T series bullet proof? If you ignore the achilles heal of Head Gaskets! Bet that shifted though, a good sleeper.
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2013, 07:06 AM)C2K Wrote: [Image: 22256536.jpg]

Same shape as my old cabby C2K

[Image: Mycabriolet02.jpg]
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
Yeah I got a cab with a turbo in had it about 6 years I'm stripping it now need the engine for my zr ..c2k I remember you on rover tech its a small world with cars Blush
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2013, 08:53 AM)Nick306td Wrote: Yeah I got a cab with a turbo in had it about 6 years I'm stripping it now need the engine for my zr ..c2k I remember you on rover tech its a small world with cars Blush

My 1:4 died so a turbo lump when in Smile. You have bad torque steer?

Thanks given by:
Got LSD in mine makes a big difference only run standard took it to USC last year running low 14 all day
Thanks given by:
Nice to see I'm not the only rover owner on here Smile Where did you get your lsd and how much it set you back?

To Do List:
- Fix cv boot
- Fit rear springs
- Fit strut brace, front & maybe rear
- Look for set of track/after track wheels
- Janspeed manifold and decat, have original cat welded in on the decat pipe so I still pass mot and don't have to mess about with EML

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Got to echo what others have said with a lsd being a waste of money dude, you'll break your clutch with power upgrades before traction becomes an issue. Bang for buck there's a ton of better mods out there.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(19-08-2013, 11:50 AM)Nick306td Wrote: Got LSD in mine makes a big difference only run standard took it to USC last year running low 14 all day

Lucky you, I had to drive mine like a Sunday driver consistently but on a straight dry road Wink

Shame it's gone as I loved it despite the issues I had - 1st 6months of ownership in the garage lol

Stevie I had mine a few years ago mate Wink

Thanks given by:
(19-08-2013, 01:44 PM)Poodle Wrote: Got to echo what others have said with a lsd being a waste of money dude, you'll break your clutch with power upgrades before traction becomes an issue. Bang for buck there's a ton of better mods out there.

Sorry but I totally disagree.

I fitted a Quaife ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing) diff in my GTi-6 and it was 100% the best mod I ever did.

People think an LSD or ATB is all about straight line traction, not so. You can get on the power harder and sooner in the corner and more to the point, if you use an ATB type, it actually gives you even better cornering ability.

For example, in my '6 I can be going through a corner, feel it starting to understeer and add MORE power to stop it doing so. This happens simply because the inside wheel starts to spin and the diff feeds more power to the outside wheel literally pulling the car back into line through the corner. It happens so much that often you have to take steering lock OFF as you turn in more than you want.

150+ hp is more than enough to warrant an ATB / LSD on a front wheel drive car.

/rant.
JP
Thanks given by:
I appreciate where you're coming from, but i think you may assuming the rest of the chassis is up to scratch to begin with. I don't think Steve would disagree if i was to propose his next spare £600 would be better spent on, for example, some tyres that aren't nankangs, rather than an ATB LSD. I'd be very surprised to see better results from nankangs + LSD than from just some decent tyres, but as ever am open to being proved wrong. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I see your point. 100% an ATB is worth doing and you will not find a single mod that improves the handling as well as one. That said, they are pricey and not really a "bolt on" mod and you can easily get 90% of the way there for half the cost with some good shocks and tyres!

If you haven't driven a front wheel drive car with an ATB in it, you should.. You'd be very very surprised.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(19-08-2013, 07:06 AM)C2K Wrote: Yes it was green, it's here:

[Image: 22256536.jpg]

Procta, i'd call billy bullshit for 340bhp to be honest unless it has about 6-7K dropped into it, it's probably Nova maths. Mine was running forged internals, 18 psi boost, FMIC, GT28R and was approx 270. You needed to go to aftermarket management beyond that as MEMS was extrapolating the fuelling beyond 14PSI, causing it to run rich. Wideband lambda was required to ensure that you were avoiding det for sure. Some people cheated and added 5th injectors etc, but at the end of the day you're only delaying th einevitable, 300bhp was prettymuch your investment limit.

Problem with the T series is that yes, it's pretty bulletproof, but it's also a heavy ass lump of pig iron and will handle somewhat differently than a featherweight K series. Simple swap aside from the loom really.

f*ck knows what money was thrown into it or what spec it was. I might have been wrong about the bhp of the thing.
sadly its stripped and scrapped now, the lad couldn't afford to insure it, 9 points on his licence.
Thanks given by:
Lil update:
Good- Springs now on *yay* Thanks to Poodle and KieranYeh
Bad- Knocking noises from the rear now, think a rubber bush fell out of the topmount area when reassembling. Gathered replacement part from silverlake today so will fit tomorrow & got a video of the noise on the way home
Belive the missing part is number 8 , which is listed as a rubber spring & damper
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001064
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVlJCPhF5...e=youtu.be

Thanks given by:
rimmer bros can be pricey steve, see if you can get hold of it else where, infact I will dig out the web site I use.
Thanks given by:
I got the rubber part in a scrapyard yesterday just need to fit it today. Although I would appreciate the website Smile

Thanks given by:
(22-08-2013, 11:06 AM)lolsteve Wrote: I got the rubber part in a scrapyard yesterday just need to fit it today. Although I would appreciate the website Smile

I was about to say have a scrappy raid, as there are plenty of these in, just remember engine wise, your looking at Yplater mgf vvc onwards.
as those maybe more common in scrappies.
Thanks given by:
Christ that noise is bad man, at least its an easy fix!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
fixed it yet Steve?

Thanks given by:
All fixed Big Grin
Just as I suspected it was missing the rubber vibration dampener thingy, 5 minute job to put back in and now it's sweet as a bean.

Drove up to Ladysteve's today with car filled to the brim with stuffs and not a single scrub despite being lowss.
Also a nice lil purchase for the engine bay will update with photos in due time

Thanks given by:
(23-08-2013, 08:58 PM)lolsteve Wrote: All fixed Big Grin
Just as I suspected it was missing the rubber vibration dampener thingy, 5 minute job to put back in and now it's sweet as a bean.

Drove up to Ladysteve's today with car filled to the brim with stuffs and not a single scrub despite being lowss.
Also a nice lil purchase for the engine bay will update with photos in due time

a lotus cam cover?
Thanks given by:
Nope Smile
Will put a picture up when I've moved into new house

Considering powerflex poly bushes for the front anti roll bar, worthwhile upgrade?

Thanks given by:
I had the poly ARB bushes on my A3. Worthwhile if you have coilies on...! Smile
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(26-08-2013, 06:00 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Nope Smile
Will put a picture up when I've moved into new house

Considering powerflex poly bushes for the front anti roll bar, worthwhile upgrade?

yeah, I think I have powerflex on my rear arb, and its stiffend the rear up nicely,
Thanks given by:
Not got coilies but lowering springs, same thing really?

Cool next thing on the list of suspension improvments

Thanks given by:
Allie got a new camera so decided to take some snaps with old 10mp and new 14mp but was darker outside

[Image: DSCF1388.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1389.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1390.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1440.jpg]

[Image: DSCF1438.jpg]

Also my new suspension addition, cost me £15 needs a respray though

[Image: DSCF1385.jpg]

And a cat that broke into our house
[Image: DSCF1507.jpg]

Thanks given by: