MG ZR: Cams & Maps

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG ZR: Cams & Maps
Also, the thermostat can stick closed. The engine will get hotter and hotter, destroy the headgasket but only show normal operating temp on the dash gauge. This is what my mums did!

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 06:44 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Well if it handles anything like a TF then write your will now before you go near a track. Had a hoon in a TF last night and was massively dissatisfied with it. And I set off with low expectations. Got it sideways and held it, at which point it then snapped round like it wanted to kill me. And under normal driving I found I was slowing down a lot more for corners. It just didn't feel stable.
Not big on the TF's feel a lil cramped when I jumped in one at the scrappy. Normal driving feels fine enough just the standard setup is a little unforgiving on speedbumps, not like cheap coilovers but not far off I'd say so lowering springs can only help with that right? Tongue

(14-08-2013, 06:48 AM)Niall Wrote: must say, i went up the hill with Steve (giggidy) at pugfest in this and it handled fairly well but sorry to say it, wasn't a patch of a 306. Not saying that because im bias but i was genuinely surprised at where it was loosing control considering how flat it cornered as well!
Yea it was the "still not as good as a 306" comments afterwards that's made me throw my hands in the air and go "f**k it I'm beating a gti6 even if it kills me" lol I really think the nankangs are the weak point currently though, they weren't far off being brand new when on the hill climb (had like sub 300 miles on them)

(14-08-2013, 08:36 AM)jammapic Wrote: Also, the thermostat can stick closed. The engine will get hotter and hotter, destroy the headgasket but only show normal operating temp on the dash gauge. This is what my mums did!

JP
I read up on swapping them over last night and it doesn't seem like the worst job in the world to do and a replacement thermostat with seals is like £10. Will go check pipes later on and see if the pipes heat up correctly
Am I right in understanding that a system that warms up slowly from cold is a thermostat stuck open
And one that has very hot top pipes and stone cold bottom ones is stuck closed?
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
You'd think so, wouldn't you. But with the thermostat being at the back you need to get down there to feel the pipes - not at the rad...
JP
Thanks given by:
More goodies have arrived to add to the pile Big Grin

Okay so start her up get feeling the pipes round the back , the top should be hot first and then the bottom should turn warm after a while?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Oooo shiny!

In this thing's defence, my powerband does make up 3/4 of the rev range, makes it very easy to get up to 70 ( which is obviously the speed we tested up to Tongue ), reckon i'd lose out much after that point. And as Steve has pointed out, put something other than nankangs on the corners might help the handling lol!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle, in fairness.. I've noticed yours is a pretty sprightly beast. Out on mallory for example - you were flying! I remember coming up your rear (yes, I said it) out of Gerrards and thinking how quickly you got up to 100mph. Also, out of the hairpin I was a few cars back on you, and no-one could get past you up towards Devil's Elbow.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Wohooo MG defence Big Grin

Just about to attempt a brake change, got my copper grease and ready to go. Also got the spring compressors for loweringgggs

Thanks given by:
(14-08-2013, 06:44 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Well if it handles anything like a TF then write your will now before you go near a track. Had a hoon in a TF last night and was massively dissatisfied with it. And I set off with low expectations. Got it sideways and held it, at which point it then snapped round like it wanted to kill me. And under normal driving I found I was slowing down a lot more for corners. It just didn't feel stable.

I broke one and used it for spares for my engine setup, I wasn't keen either on the shell, they are a bastard to work on! The front and rear subframe and suspension setup is the same as the metro, only difference was the mgf has dampers and anti role bars all round.

(15-08-2013, 02:20 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Wohooo MG defence Big Grin

Just about to attempt a brake change, got my copper grease and ready to go. Also got the spring compressors for loweringgggs

looking good,
Thanks given by:
I notice this thread is called a "gti beater"

any chance it can go side by side with the 205? ninja
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
IT might be a GTi beater but its not as fast as a stage 1 HDi so that means a stage 1 HDi must be faster than a GTi6
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 04:13 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: IT might be a GTi beater but its not as fast as a stage 1 HDi so that means a stage 1 HDi must be faster than a GTi6

you and your constant HDi ramble TMI
Thanks given by:
Meh. I'd have it over a 306.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 04:12 PM)ginge191 Wrote: I notice this thread is called a "gti beater"

I think the 205s weight makes it a lot harder to keep up, maybe if I start stripping out the interior too... ninja

(15-08-2013, 04:13 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: IT might be a GTi beater but its not as fast as a stage 1 HDi so that means a stage 1 HDi must be faster than a GTi6
It's not as fast as Poodles stage 1, which is not really just a stage 1 though. So don't be thinking your failstate could beat it haha

(15-08-2013, 04:35 PM)Norledge Wrote: Meh. I'd have it over a 306.

Same, so I got one Big Grin

Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 04:41 PM)lolsteve Wrote:
(15-08-2013, 04:12 PM)ginge191 Wrote: I notice this thread is called a "gti beater"

I think the 205s weight makes it a lot harder to keep up, maybe if I start stripping out the interior too... ninja

Ok, i'll meet you half way and put my back seats back in.. Sleepy
Thanks given by:
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one, but if it came to the choice between 306 ownership, MG 25 ownership and death, I'd pick MG ownership.

Very closely followed by death.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 04:42 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(15-08-2013, 04:41 PM)lolsteve Wrote:

Ok, i'll meet you half way and put my back seats back in.. Sleepy

Think you'll also have to put back in that headgasket, damn 205 owners trying to save weight wherever they can lol
On that note I've yet to remove the rears on this, wonder how heavy they really are

(15-08-2013, 04:43 PM)Norledge Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one, but if it came to the choice between 306 ownership, MG 25 ownership and death, I'd pick MG ownership.

Very closely followed by death.

Well..at least death/306 didn't come first

Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 04:28 PM)ginge191 Wrote:

Pot kettle black much!?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 04:46 PM)Niall Wrote:

Pot kettle black much!?

I rant about XUD's all the time?! Confused

I was referring to dumdum in the past 2 days, it's not a problem, just saying. Please quote my fap'posting over XUD's over the last 2 days..

(15-08-2013, 08:33 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: V6 HDi! best (worst) of both worlds

(15-08-2013, 08:36 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Im not voting as my opinion is HDi and or V6 so neither of the above

(13-08-2013, 04:07 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: The 2.1 would do over 60mpg on the motorway on veg and at less than 90ppl the economy compared to diesel is nearly 100mpg
Thanks given by:
Just as a lil update as well, the brake changing didn't go ahead since the locating screw head twisted off and from the looks of things the same had happened when someone else had done the brakes before. Looks like I(Dad) will be drilling them out, although I've been told it's okay to not have them in since the wheel holds the disk on anyway
And the rear of the calliper is seized so need to coat it in wd40 and leave overnight, the cv boot joint thing on the passenger side it totally mullered and is being taken to a garage on Monday to have replaced since it's spat grease all over the wheel and back of the caliper

Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 04:46 PM)Niall Wrote:

Pot kettle black much!?

Obviously my sarcasm didnt come across.

Ginge STFU.
Thanks given by:
(15-08-2013, 05:06 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Just as a lil update as well, the brake changing didn't go ahead since the locating screw head twisted off and from the looks of things the same had happened when someone else had done the brakes before. Looks like I(Dad) will be drilling them out, although I've been told it's okay to not have them in since the wheel holds the disk on anyway
And the rear of the calliper is seized so need to coat it in wd40 and leave overnight, the cv boot joint thing on the passenger side it totally mullered and is being taken to a garage on Monday to have replaced since it's spat grease all over the wheel and back of the caliper

all good fun,
Thanks given by:
Exactly, I can't imagine it would have been much different with a 306 to be honest.

Update: Front is lowered, rear is not because it was such a pain getting struts out hubs and back in we decided to call it a day and do something else

One little thing that worries me is the driver side spring didn't go back to the cup/seating position properly but the bottom part did, would this be alright and sort itself out?

Also note the car jack being used to free the strut, pikey car demands pikey methods

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
It will seat itself...
JP
Thanks given by:
Normally with a loud twang Smile.
[Image: Atterz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
and subsequent shitting of your pants...
JP
Thanks given by:
springs are upside down whistle
Thanks given by:
I'd of twisted it myself to get it round
Thanks given by:
Mm k then ill get it back out soon then to get it vack into the cup(?)

Thanks given by:
Hay mate don't worry your not on your own I got a MGZR as well got a turbo lump in mine tho lol
Thanks given by:
Bet it still won't beat a 6...! Big Grin
[Image: Sig3_zpscd005eb1.jpg]
Thanks given by: