Spotted

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotted
I have had a thought. Spotted threads never work... people like to be twats.

What if there was a website called spotted.co.uk.

You had seen a car out and about and wanted to find a bit more about it. So you go on to spotted.co.uk and search some keywords such as 'blue 306 ipswich'.

Then a list of cars fitting that description was displayed with more about the car, a picture of the car and a way to add comments.

As a user youd be able to see how many times you had been spotted and comments on your car etc.

I've been doing websites etc at uni and now ive finished my course I have a few weeks free before starting my sailing job and then starting full time at IBM in October.

The site would just be really clean, tidy and simple. Itd really be a bit of fun to use and just put some details to a car. Ive seen some car social networking sites that are just useless but the point of this is that people will only search a car they have liked.

I know this could be bad and people could hate on other peoples cars and you dont really want to give away personal details of you and your car but a brief description with some mods could be interesting without giving away too much detail.

Thoughts?
Thanks given by:
nice idea but i can see it soon escalating into massive arguments
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
I've had this idea before; a way of everyone on the road to appreciate and spot each other, but in honesty, I'd get online to ramble about how a bunch of ricers are driving like cocks.
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I like the idea a lot actually, don't really see it causing arguments either
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
Kinda like "bonnet book" before that died on its arse because nobody could be bothered with yet another car website?
Thanks given by:
it would be really simple. No real networking side to it. Really just a search engine for cars.
Thanks given by:
Could work I suppose but you gotta really capture people's imagination to make it work. If you dont get an instant big hit of members it'll probably die on its arse.
Thanks given by:
Was'nt me!
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2013, 12:03 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Could work I suppose but you gotta really capture people's imagination to make it work. If you dont get an instant big hit of members it'll probably die on its arse.

yeh thats a good point. Without having members nothing will come up in search. Im sure all the other owners clubs have the same problem of 'it wasnt me' so if i posted a thread in the lounge of every owners club could probably get it rolling very quickly! Even if everyone on here signed up for it it would work quite well and get the ball rolling!
Thanks given by:
You could create a profile on the proposed website where you enter your details about yourself (basic; female/male, hair colour, age etc) then all info and spec about your car (minus the reg plate for security purposes.)
Maybe add a picture of your car?

You'll then be able to search the car you've spotted and then also be 'spotted'. there could be points for each time you've been spotted.

Create a username as well? Stickers for the car?

Maybe an option to add photos of the car you've spotted? Or is that too creepy? I guess the 'spotted' one can approve the photos being submitted...

On your profile you could also have a link to the forums that you belong to connect (if wanted).

I like this idea of a website, as you can see.
Thanks given by:
yep exactly what I was thinking Eli! The stickers would be cool. If you had one on your back window anyone who saw it would know that they would be able to find you on the site!

Money wise im not to bothered. Just having a pretty site that works and has my name to it is enough but i could look into advertising and just have some subtle adverts. not massive in your face ones like facebook.
Thanks given by:
Orrr just a logo of the site so you have to search for the person?
Make it like a game.
Thanks given by:
No you want the name on it eli to get word about
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2013, 02:36 PM)the milkman Wrote: No you want the name on it eli to get word about

I meant just the logo/website name on the sticker.

I originally thought that the users could have personalised stickers/numbers/codes, but searching for the car through the website could make it more fun?
Thanks given by:
Ahhh I gets you now! Yea would be a pretty good idea actually
Thanks given by:
There kinda is something like it called reg archive

This is the one for mine
http://regarchive.com/plate/R73BHP

Buuuttt I don't know where they got the info and PIC from as I didn't send it to them?!?!? Lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
made a little mock up of the front page! Tried to go for a minimalist look with a blurred background. The bottom menu is fixed to the bottom of the browser. Just trying to make a really clean design thats a little different but really really straight forward.

[Image: spotted_zps8d62c470.jpg]
Thanks given by:
A scrolling filmstrip of recently spotted members at the bottom?
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
That looks dope
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sweade! Smile
Thanks given by:
Pretty cool idea man, very original Smile

I know it's just a mockup but I'd tone down the blur on the background, and make the search box border more defined just to make it easier on the eyes.
Thanks given by:
As Scott said, the background makes my eyes go funny
Thanks given by:
ok sure. Yeh the background will probably be on some kind of rotation. I tried to make it blurry just so the attention isnt on the photo. A film strip of featured cars could go underneath. The search bar does get highlighted with a blue surround when its selected so dw Smile

I never know what to think of web designs I make. Its always well.... it could be better or I personally dont like it.

For the logo i tried to find the illest font but this was the closest i could find. Not a bad font though and it would be easy to make into stickers!

The backend and searching will take considerable time to get working and be a right pain in the arse. Ill be using Ruby on Rails to code it. And im using the Twitter Bootstrap frame work to make the site.
Thanks given by:
Just a thought but to do the search you need make, model, age (from numberplate) colour and possibly location.

Your also gonna need some sort of security settings for people as to how close it shows the rest of the world the spot is both in terms of time and location otherwise it's gonna be a car thiefs, carjackers or worse stalker for female members. What if it turns out that it's regularly being spotted at the same location well it's only gonna he her work place or house.
Thanks given by:
Like the font! As said, tone down the blurring. Nice idea, maybe give options to search for, eg make, model, colour, area and a general search box too. Like drop down so you could search for instance: 306, blue, northwest or just type some general details. Does that make sense?

Edit: great minds Dum.
[Image: sig-3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeh the location is just going to be nearest city or something like that. Not 'the asda next to maccies' or 'number 4 privett drive'. Its simply a tag word that is searched for. Not actually on a map or anything.
Thanks given by:
(30-05-2013, 11:40 PM)SRowell Wrote: Yeh the location is just going to be nearest city or something like that. Not 'the asda next to maccies' or 'number 4 privett drive'. Its simply a tag word that is searched for. Not actually on a map or anything.

Makes sense unless you also have spotted/attended meets/shows which obv deserve an exact location
Thanks given by:
Few little changes before bed. Search bar is now 0.6 opacity instead of 0.1. Background is only blurred 4px not 20px.

The footer is actually meant to be semi transparent black but atm its solid and you cant see the pattern. Ill try to get that working soon!

[Image: spotted2_zps78f69ca0.jpg]

(30-05-2013, 11:45 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote:
(30-05-2013, 11:40 PM)SRowell Wrote: Yeh the location is just going to be nearest city or something like that. Not 'the asda next to maccies' or 'number 4 privett drive'. Its simply a tag word that is searched for. Not actually on a map or anything.

Makes sense unless you also have spotted/attended meets/shows which obv deserve an exact location

yeh youll be able to add as many tags or seach able words to your profile as you want. Well... i might set a limit of 15 or something just so people dont spam every possible car and colour!
Thanks given by:
Looking good mate, personally id go a little more blured even if only on the numberplate to hide the location of the car
Thanks given by:
Meh its an image taken from Canibeat and the number plate is obviously on show. Bed time now and ill do some more work on this tomorrow.
Thanks given by: