What's this... Why is that??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's this... Why is that??
Can someone tell me what this hose does? its connected to the intercooler where it was slightly weeping diesel, (until I fitted a jubilee clip) and connects to something on the bottom of the pump (arrowed).
Also can anyone see anything different about the pump (apart from the solenoid hack), as all the other pics I've seen seem to be a bit different.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Well.. Theres the fact its a lucas, not a bosch?

Or different from other lucas pumps?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 06:43 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Well.. Theres the fact its a lucas, not a bosch?

Or different from other lucas pumps?

That was a bit quick! Yes, its a Lucas, I did mean from other Lucas pumps.
Thanks given by:
If that hose is weeping diesle think you have a massive problem! LOL as it carry's boost pressure to the boost compsator on the pump btw thats a lucus pump not a bosch

Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 06:54 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: If that hose is weeping diesle think you have a massive problem! LOL as it carry's boost pressure to the boost compsator on the pump btw thats a lucus pump not a bosch
If you look at the pic you can see how wet it was, spose I should have left the clip off to check if it is coming from the hose, The car is running OK so what massive problem would it indicate? I would imagine that its picking up diesel from the pump end somehow?
Thanks given by:
You sure its diesel, not oil?
Thanks given by:
x2, id say its probably oil sweeping out from the intercooler.
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 07:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote: You sure its diesel, not oil?

That would make more sense, its black - but then what isn't on a diesel motor - but very thin like diesel and I don't have a sense of smell to go by.
If its oil or diesel wouldn't it block the tube? and what would happen then?
Thanks given by:
It will be oil. Mine was the same.
That's also the pipe you t piece to put a boost gauge onto Smile
Thanks given by:
(15-05-2013, 07:53 PM)Stephen Wrote: It will be oil. Mine was the same.
That's also the pipe you t piece to put a boost gauge onto Smile

Feeling slightly less concerned now!

(15-05-2013, 06:40 PM)JayDub Wrote: Can someone tell me what this hose does? its connected to the intercooler where it was slightly weeping diesel, (until I fitted a jubilee clip) and connects to something on the bottom of the pump (arrowed).
Also can anyone see anything different about the pump (apart from the solenoid hack), as all the other pics I've seen seem to be a bit different.

But does the rest of the pump look normal?
Thanks given by:
Looks normal to me. They seem to differ a little I think. Depends on the age of the car
Thanks given by:
Check it out, it could be diesel, I've seen it before where its torn past the diaphragm and is letting diesel out the compensator.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Is it ok having a bit of oil in it and tiny amount of condensation?
Thanks given by:
What Ruan said, make sure its not derv, as when the lucas pumps start leaking there, they normally get bad, quick, and its not pretty!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(16-05-2013, 12:38 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: What Ruan said, make sure its not derv, as when the lucas pumps start leaking there, they normally get bad, quick, and its not pretty!

OK... I'll be doing the cam kit at the weekend so I'll have a proper look then, Thanks everyone!
Thanks given by:
I have just found same on mine;
its been smelling of neat diesel for about 2 weeks now, after a run to/from work (6 miles) it would stink !! when retuning to car theres a pool of diesel, thought it may be leak-offs but they are ok ?
so gets in from work tonight, same smell of diesel around so I took the intercooler off, but didn't disconnect the pump boost pipe---instead I spun the intercooler around while attached so I could see injectors/pipework.
after seeing its bone dry, I moved the intercooler and neat, clean diesel started running out of where the boost pipe attaches---removed the intercooler at this stage and drained about an egg-cup of fuel out of it.
the pipe to the injection pump is filled with diesel, so the diaphragm on the boost compensator is split..........bummer !
I have plugged the pipe and also the pipe on intercooler where it used to be attached to until I can locate a new diaphragm.

in retrospect this also explains why about a month ago, the car put the shits up me by accelerating while I was going around traffic island on a dual carriageway, pouring out loads of black smoke and had the worst diesel knock ever !!!!------when cornering the neat fuel has slopped to one side in the intercooler and been sucked in.....
Thanks given by:
(24-05-2013, 06:06 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: I have just found same on mine;
its been smelling of neat diesel for about 2 weeks now, after a run to/from work (6 miles) it would stink !! when retuning to car theres a pool of diesel, thought it may be leak-offs but they are ok ?
so gets in from work tonight, same smell of diesel around so I took the intercooler off, but didn't disconnect the pump boost pipe---instead I spun the intercooler around while attached so I could see injectors/pipework.
after seeing its bone dry, I moved the intercooler and neat, clean diesel started running out of where the boost pipe attaches---removed the intercooler at this stage and drained about an egg-cup of fuel out of it.
the pipe to the injection pump is filled with diesel, so the diaphragm on the boost compensator is split..........bummer !
I have plugged the pipe and also the pipe on inter-cooler where it used to be attached to until I can locate a new diaphragm.

in retrospect his also explains why about a month ago, the car put the shits up me by accelerating while I was going around traffic island on a dual carriageway, pouring out loads of black smoke and had the worst diesel knock ever !!!!------when cornering the neat fuel has slopped to one side in the intercooler and been sucked in.....
Mine isn't showing any misbehavior but I suppose that's what I should expect mine to eventually do then, What effect does disconnecting this hose have then? any short or long term damage, decrease in power or MPG? Can I just get a replacement boost compensator (breakers?) and bolt it on or is it less simple than that
Thanks given by:
its been smoking on acceleration recently, I assume its the extra diesel from the intercooler getting drawn in

plugging the vacuum pipe at both ends; prevents air leak at intercooler and also stops fuel pissing out of the pump itself.

just off to check on where I can get lucas pump parts from as nearest diesel place is about 20 miles from me....then arrange to have some time to myself to fit it.
Thanks given by:
Dunno what happened there!!!
Mine has always belched out black smoke when accelerating hard, more than my other TD's - but... any short or long term damage, decrease in power or MPG? and can I just get a replacement boost compensator and bolt it on or is it more pricey/difficult than that?
Thanks given by:
Blocking the pipe will reduce power as you won't get the fuelling adjusted for the boost pressure. AFAIK there are no long term problems with blocking the pipes off while you get the problem fixed.

Edit:

Just had a look because I ripped my (dead) lucas apart to see how it went together when I took it off... I thought I saved a load of bits, and thought I'd kept the boost compensator, unfortunately I was mistaken, I can't find any lucas pump bits, just the injectors and lines, so I'm guessing I've scrapped the lot, sorry.
Thanks given by:
I only do 12 miles a day going to/from work---hardly ever gets above 40 mph anyway as I drive like a pensioner (not quite that old yet) it wont be getting boosted at all !!! a mate of mine collects citroen bx diesels.........I know he has spare motors about the place so he is getting an unexpected visit from me this week, with a view to either getting a lucas compensator or go for a bosch conversion instead--------nows as good a time as any.
Thanks given by:
(26-05-2013, 09:18 PM)daddyfixit Wrote: I only do 12 miles a day going to/from work---hardly ever gets above 40 mph anyway as I drive like a pensioner (not quite that old yet) it wont be getting boosted at all !!! a mate of mine collects citroen bx diesels.........I know he has spare motors about the place so he is getting an unexpected visit from me this week, with a view to either getting a lucas compensator or go for a bosch conversion instead--------nows as good a time as any.

If he has another lucas boost compensator he wants to sell I'll be interested. - Thanks.

(26-05-2013, 07:58 PM)DarkInferno Wrote: Blocking the pipe will reduce power as you won't get the fuelling adjusted for the boost pressure. AFAIK there are no long term problems with blocking the pipes off while you get the problem fixed.

Edit:

Just had a look because I ripped my (dead) lucas apart to see how it went together when I took it off... I thought I saved a load of bits, and thought I'd kept the boost compensator, unfortunately I was mistaken, I can't find any lucas pump bits, just the injectors and lines, so I'm guessing I've scrapped the lot, sorry.

Well thanks for looking anyway, I can live with a drop in power so that's no prob and I suppose if the pump can't respond to a demand for more fuel then I may get a few more MPG even, I'll try for a replacement compensator somewhere. Thanks for your help.
Thanks given by:
The smoke may be caused by oil from the turbo seals going into the inlet which may explain smoking, also the pipe you said off the compensator is known to drag oil through rarely diesel comes through but don't take my word for it I'd look into both pump and turbo
Official Team Go-NAD fan club
Thanks given by:
it it had have been the dreaded hazy blue smoke when accelerating I would have also said turbo but black smoke is un-burnt fuel, when it had sloshed neat diesel in when cornering , it couldn't burn it as it wasn't atomised (by the injectors) so instead it caused the temporary runaway and black smoking. so by me blocking the pipe at both ends I have prevented the compensators split diaphragm from sending more fuel up the vacuum pipe and into the intercooler and prevented a boost leak at the intercooler take-off point where the vacuum pipe attaches.
Thanks given by: