Removing rear calipers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing rear calipers
Hi,

Does anyone know a good way to undo the pipe union on the rear calipers?

Basically I've always failed at this by rounding off the nut and ended up cutting the pipe and using a socket, even with a special union nut spanner.

I've tried soaking in plus gas and WD40. Thinking of using heat next but it's close to the top slider rubber.
Thanks given by:
All brake unions are a pita! I will give it a go with a brake pipe spanner first, if it's not going to go I will get some mulgrips straight on before it gets rounded. At least then you can reuse the union when refitting.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I don't know why they have the heads on the unions so small. If they were a bit bigger they might undo a bit easier without rounding off. The rears seem to be worse then the fronts.
Thanks given by:
They shouldn't be made out of such shit steel either. I've rounded a few before.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I tried mole grips today on the union first and it didn't look good so then tried the brake pipe spanner with the mole grips around them as I could see the spanner opening up as I was turning but this didn't work either.

Going to try some heat tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
Give the union a light whack with a hammer to break the seal a bit, but heat may be the next step before cutting it off.

Good luck though!!! Smile

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I found that the Pug ones seem to be 11mm...my brake spanners do 10 or 12 Angry
Thanks given by:
HELP!!!

I've tried heat, accidentally burnt one of the boots on the sliders and the nut is so close to rounding off.

What tricks have people used successfully to get this undone?

I've just thought I wonder if I can undo the other side where the pipe goes on the the flex and then run a ring spanner down the pipe onto the nut and try it with a ring spanner on it. I've got a feeling it might just round off now.
Thanks given by:
Are you trying to apply constant pressure or shock pressure? Set of mole grips, as bastarding tight as you can get them, and try and tap it round, don't pull it in one motion.

Brake unions ALWAYS seem to undo easier with a tap tap tap motion than one big turn
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Because the rears being ally and the unions steel I think the they've corroded together.

I've been trying with a brake union spanner or flare nut spanner with mole grips on that to stop the ends bending out with the shock tactic. Even with a small mallet then a small hammer.

Do you know if there are any other special tools available to do the job?

I could do with one of them spanners that act on the flat of the nut not on the corners but open on the one end like the flare nut spanner.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brake calipers Welshy_Pete 2 1,469 19-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Any tips for undoing rear bleed nipples on calipers? Tom85 18 3,090 27-06-2016, 07:39 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  Removing broken bleen nipple/How many types of rear calipers? Iaitoo 16 3,123 31-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Last Post: pug306driver