Tyres rubbing on coilover

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres rubbing on coilover
The inside of my tyres rub on the adjusting nuts on the coilovers. The wheels are td 1.2s and have 205 45 16 tyres. Didn't expect this to happen as the wheels are supposed to be direct 306 fitment.

I suppose the only way around this is to go back to shocks and springs?
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
195's would help... 205's are a bit big. 5mm spacers may give you the clearance you need.

I had the same issue with my PR3's, I removed the helper springs. Before I get slated, because I did it for clearance and not for maximum lows, I wound them back up to make up for the helpers and therefore it's really no different. They only unseat at full droop when jacked up, it'd never happen on the road.
Thanks given by:
Yea smaller tyres, but might want to check the ET of the alloys.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I was thinking about removing helpers, might have to do that as I've only just bought some new 205 tyres! Can't use spacers though they are very close to the outer arch as it is.
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2013, 10:28 PM)Ben Wrote: Yeah I was thinking about removing helpers, might have to do that as I've only just bought some new 205 tyres! Can't use spacers though they are very close to the outer arch as it is.

Have the tires outside the arch. Its a common trend with VAGs in particular.

Otherwise, 195/45/15s ftw Smile
Thanks given by:
I think you mean wheel ^^

If 5mm would clear it (that's what I needed when I fitted my LM's on the Audi, they were correct offset too, just wider...) then that would be an easier option... It'll only need a slight roll then, not a pull or anything. A few members have an arch roller, the arches on these are like tin foil so it only takes 5 minutes Smile

I should point out I'm already running 20mm spacers, that's why I removed the helpers.
Thanks given by:
They maybe 306 fittment but nade to be fittment for a standerd car.

try a 3 or 5 mm spacer and just have the return the lip on the arch rolled up . minimal work , clears your brakes, and makes the wheels look better in the arch.

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
maybe try winding the coilover up a little bit to clear the trye or youll have ot go for 3 or 5mm spacers as said.
Thanks given by:
I think I'll try some 3mm spacers. Strange thing is there is a gap when the cars on the floor, wouldn't have thought the tyre would move like that when driving but I guess it must move more than I thought.
Thanks given by:
every car that weve fitted coils (pugs) needed 3-6mm spacers to clear coils. even a 206 gti needed them
[Image: sig-1.jpg]

106 Xud9 Conversion GtiD (2nd Engine Rebuild)
SOLD

Dan! Wrote:Want me to blow this one up for you aswel?
Thanks given by:
I needed 3mm on the donkey for the sp wheels to clear the coilys.
Thanks given by:
Mine cleared ta's fine & it was LOW. Bigcheez will clarify
Thanks given by:
That's on 15's though and the TDs are probably wider...
Thanks given by:
Yeah true, was mainly referring to Diggers reply but I suppose even that was quite a wide statement as he didn't state wheel size
Thanks given by:
Ah, didn't see that! It is quite a common problem, due to the lock rings obviously being in a different loacation to normal struts. If I were running 'clones I don't think I'd have an issue
Thanks given by:
I've got my arch roller ben if you need it mate! We can sort something out Wink
Silver Five Door D-Tuurbo'! More Doors More Whores y0! Wink
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wishbone rubbing on droplink? Matt 24 5,142 16-06-2015, 06:33 AM
Last Post: ginge191
  rear wheels rubbing gary.jennings050580 7 1,624 18-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Last Post: cully
  Coilover protection lolsteve 6 1,440 09-01-2015, 10:22 PM
Last Post: lolsteve