MOT fail time...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT fail time...
Any takers on what she will fail on?

i'm guessing, play in the rear beam, no speedo, missing wheel bolt in front wheel and radiator secured with cable ties.. oh and HID's and airbag light on.

ive put it through so early in the month so i have got some forewarning to what i need to fix before the end of the month..
Thanks given by:
haha and the classic rear brake imbalance and recording little or no effort
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I had that last year too lol, but only as an advisory...
Thanks given by:
How is it going to fail on speedo? It don't go anywhere
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The Speedo doesn't move... At all. The tach screw in the box is f*cked. Picking one up from pug on weds.
Thanks given by:
hmm.. looking around its not part of the MOT, but it is illegal to drive without a working Speedo..
Thanks given by:
Good luck!
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not sure about the new MOT standards but my mate had a 206 where the speedo didn't work for 3 years! and still got through (he used a satnav as his speedo)
1st - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - Failed Gearbox
2nd - Diablo 306 1.9 N/A Diesel - At 225,000 miles the engine fell out
3rd - Diablo 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Rust bucket
4th - Cherry Red 306 Sedan 1.9 Turbo Diesel - Crashed 6 days after buying, Bah!
Thanks given by:
They are more accurate then normal speedos anyway!
Thanks given by:
shouldnt fail on airbag light, hids or radiator tbh
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
It will fail on the airbag light. Since the new year, any lights on the dash are a failure. Even a EML! So get the airbag light sorted first.

Oh and be careful driving it after you've had it mot'd because I know most people say 'it's ok, I still have a month' but I've heard rumours that since they brought in the new certificates, this no longer applies. If its failed, all the time left on the old certificate is void.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:It will fail on the airbag light. Since the new year, any lights on the dash are a failure. Even a EML! So get the airbag light sorted first.

Shit. 50% of the 306s left in existence will meet their demise in 2012 then haha
Black 306 Rallye
Topaz Blue E39 530i Sport
Nordic Green 406 1.9TD
Thanks given by:
Airbag light was advisory on this years regs, until April 1st. Same for hids.

Failed on handbrake efficiency below 10% headlights aimed too high and missing wheel bolt. Advisory for the car seat in the rear, as he couldn't test the seatbelt, loose wiring for the hid's and loose wiring on fogs where a wire got snagged.
Thanks given by:
Interestingly, it didn't fail on the decat exhaust either...
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:It will fail on the airbag light. Since the new year, any lights on the dash are a failure. Even a EML! So get the airbag light sorted first.

Oh and be careful driving it after you've had it mot'd because I know most people say 'it's ok, I still have a month' but I've heard rumours that since they brought in the new certificates, this no longer applies. If its failed, all the time left on the old certificate is void.

This. And it has always been the case. Just because it did have a valid MOT, the new one surpasses it, even if it is a failure.
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
Hope you dont have too many hills near you....10% handbrake is terrible lol.

Also it WILL NOT fail a decat on a diesel...as long as the smoke test passes. Smile
Thanks given by:
burnmw Wrote:This. And it has always been the case. Just because it did have a valid MOT, the new one surpasses it, even if it is a failure.

Let me explain that a bit further...

http://www.confused.com/news-views/blog ... failed-mot

So I wasn't quite right, it's not a failure but if you get stopped by the police/have an accident then they (and your insurers) will come down hard on you for driving a known defective vehicle.
Thanks given by:
burnmw Wrote:
burnmw Wrote:This. And it has always been the case. Just because it did have a valid MOT, the new one surpasses it, even if it is a failure.

Let me explain that a bit further...

http://www.confused.com/news-views/blog ... failed-mot

So I wasn't quite right, it's not a failure but if you get stopped by the police/have an accident then they (and your insurers) will come down hard on you for driving a known defective vehicle.

Was just about to say this!! Good job this forum shows any posts when you hit submit. Wink
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Was just about to say this!! Good job this forum shows any posts when you hit submit. Wink

Worried that you might look more stupid than usual? lol Tongue
Thanks given by:
burnmw Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Was just about to say this!! Good job this forum shows any posts when you hit submit. Wink

Worried that you might look more stupid than usual? lol Tongue

Well if I'm honest I doubted myself as you're usually right!! lmao

But this time I was sure as I specifically asked about driving on a fail sheet when I was helping with MOTs at W/E last month. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
i spoke to someone from VOSA about the MOT fail overwriting the existing pass and he said it is bullshit, but you will get ass f*cked over it if you have a crash.

and i thought the new rules with regards to the cat being removed applied to diesels too, even though they are a DPF.. its a bit of the exhaust thats been removed, therefore still falls into the same a=category. i dounno, but i saw some numpty on here of pugnet saying his had failed on a de-dpf and i was just setting the record straight..
Thanks given by:
Lots of numptys about mate....but the 'has to have cat' rule only applies to cars needing an emmisions test....I.e petrols. Smile
Thanks given by:
yes, i know that, and i know its not a cat, but under the new rules, even if a car passes its emissions test, if it has no cat, or the cat has been removed, it will fail.

someone on here reckoned their DT failed on having no DPF, as it was a component of the exhaust that was removed.
Thanks given by:
A dt doesn't have a dpf, nor does a 306 hdi. The diesels DO NOT needs cats for the not lol, trust me! Smile
Thanks given by:
Dts do have particulate filter dot they?!
Thanks given by:
It doesn't have to have a cat at all. It just has to meet the emissions levels. But you show me a car that will easily meet the emissions levels with a straight through (and I'm not talking about a MOT with our friendly tester....)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:A dt doesn't have a dpf, nor does a 306 hdi. The diesels DO NOT needs cats for the not lol, trust me! Smile

look, i know this, and i knew this for the last 2 MOT's, but some fuckwit said he failed, so i was setting the record straight. i have also seen alot of questions around the same subject on other forums...
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:Dts do have particulate filter dot they?!

Older ones have nothing, newer ones have cats not dpfs, a dpf is a huge funnel shaped thing stuck in the exhaust, you'd definitely see if it had one.
Thanks given by:
NiallHarper Wrote:It doesn't have to have a cat at all. It just has to meet the emissions levels. But you show me a car that will easily meet the emissions levels with a straight through (and I'm not talking about a MOT with our friendly tester....)

Not quite right mate, the new regs say that petrols will fail with a decat, regardless of emmisions.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hammer time ... no wait MOT time, err same thing! Megamonkey 13 13,499 19-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Megamonkey