Universal Air Filter fit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Air Filter fit
(02-05-2013, 05:49 PM)puglove Wrote: It wouldn't put a grate deal of cool air over there, ideally you'd want to extend it right up to the filter

cheap and cheerful http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-76mm-Flexi-I...27c020da53

This looks like something that could come in handy, but I just wouldnt know what to attach this to..? Are you saying bring the filter down the front or the hose up to the filter?
Thanks given by:
yeh definitely have some piping there and dont have just it straight onto the tb!
Thanks given by:
(03-05-2013, 10:07 AM)MRiches Wrote:
(02-05-2013, 05:49 PM)puglove Wrote: It wouldn't put a grate deal of cool air over there, ideally you'd want to extend it right up to the filter

This looks like something that could come in handy, but I just wouldnt know what to attach this to..? Are you saying bring the filter down the front or the hose up to the filter?

just attach it to the standard air scoop thats attached to the slam panel . then stretch the flexi pip right up so that its touchin the air filter. few cablr ties to hold the pipe in place. jobs a goodun

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 09:19 AM)puglove Wrote:
(03-05-2013, 10:07 AM)MRiches Wrote:

just attach it to the standard air scoop thats attached to the slam panel . then stretch the flexi pip right up so that its touchin the air filter. few cablr ties to hold the pipe in place. jobs a goodun

Hmm so having it just touching the air filter would work? It's not exactly a normal shape to attach something, there would be gaps? The end is metal rather than open like some double cones.
Thanks given by:
Matt...you've driven it yeah....

Does it feel worse than before? If not then why bother with a CAF! Wink
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 02:09 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Matt...you've driven it yeah....

Does it feel worse than before? If not then why bother with a CAF! Wink

Yeh been driving it since ive put it on. And I do delivery driving in the evening and it seems no worse, if not better, or maybe thats just in my head. Sounds awesome though. Which is kinda what I was going for lol. Also temps have stayed the same which I assume would go up if there was heat soak?

If it goes to shit I can always put the box back on and change that filter but it all seems good right now.
Thanks given by:
Exactly lol. Big Grin It'll be fine, it'll bwarp nicely, you won't notice the ~1bhp you may've lost and mpg should stay about the same.....

If you were doing it on a diesel or a higher powered petrol it'd be different, but for a 1.4 theres really no need for CAFs. As said I had 2 1.4s with cones like that and no issues at all. Smile
Thanks given by:
so tom what your saying is ........ if it dosnt feel no better or worse than standard. there is no point in tryimg to make it a little better or a bit more responsive???

riiiiggghhhttt

Thanks given by:
(05-05-2013, 09:00 AM)puglove Wrote: so tom what your saying is ........ if it dosnt feel no better or worse than standard. there is no point in tryimg to make it a little better or a bit more responsive???

riiiiggghhhttt

Hey buddy, I've ordered that hose you posted anyways, just didn't really get where you meant to attach it. Just like.. cable tie to the side of the cone? Does seem all good at the moment, but of course, you all know more than me! Can't even change headlights without help...
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2013, 09:00 AM)puglove Wrote: so tom what your saying is ........ if it dosnt feel no better or worse than standard. there is no point in tryimg to make it a little better or a bit more responsive???

riiiiggghhhttt

Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying.

It's for a bit of noise, its not a Ferrari lol. So unless it feels slower (which it wont as its a 1.4) then there's no need to spend time and money making changes that you won't notice.

I don't spend money or effort doing something unless I'll see decent gains from it, each to their own obviously though.
Thanks given by:
definitely get the pipe or do something with it. looks so lame stuck on the tb like that!
Thanks given by:
im saying no more on this topic i cant argue with toms senceless nonsence any more Tongue lol

Thanks given by:
Having owned a 1.4 i can sat the best thing i ever did was taking out the back seats (Whilst collecting a wardrobe).

These videos have relevance here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

Gotta remember that in an engine bay theres always going to be air as its not a closed container. Though MCM only showed what happens when you attach the physical mods to the car, they didnt factor in a remap to take any possible advantage of the new filter (if there is any). The temperature of the air is going to make little difference on a NA car unless its highly tuned, lets face it, you dont notice much difference driving in summer and winter.

If youre just going for the sound then getting rid of the airbox all together with the shortest pipe possible for the oil breather to attach to is best, but bear in mind the possibility of the breather spraying bits of oil into the intake, though i was more interested in my music than my 1.4 engine roaring Tongue (until youre in a tunnel, always fun to rev the engine in a tunnel) (unless it blows up) (but it will sound awesome blowing up)
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 03:07 AM)Lolben91 Wrote: Gotta remember that in an engine bay theres always going to be air as its not a closed container. Though MCM only showed what happens when you attach the physical mods to the car, they didnt factor in a remap to take any possible advantage of the new filter (if there is any). The temperature of the air is going to make little difference on a NA car unless its highly tuned, lets face it, you dont notice much difference driving in summer and winter.

If youre just going for the sound then getting rid of the airbox all together with the shortest pipe possible for the oil breather to attach to is best, but bear in mind the possibility of the breather spraying bits of oil into the intake, though i was more interested in my music than my 1.4 engine roaring Tongue (until youre in a tunnel, always fun to rev the engine in a tunnel) (unless it blows up) (but it will sound awesome blowing up)

Cheers for these man, kinda blows it all out the water but yeh I like the sound haha. I need to measure up so I can get some tubing so it's not just sitting on the box. Who knew a student wouldn't have any sort of measuring device (ruler) to get even a near about diameter for correct hosing.

From the video looks like a silicon bit to metal bit thats attached to the cone. Should have the old metal braces to fix it all together.
Thanks given by: